Author Topic: 1st NY pie (glutenboy recipe)  (Read 930 times)

Offline hppzz

• http://theravenouscouple.com
    • The Ravenous Couple: A food blog
1st NY pie (glutenboy recipe)
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:02:09 AM »
Newbie lurker, made my first NY style pie using glutenboys recipe modified with Ady and reduced to 4 300 gm balls with stone-buhr bread flour. After 3 days cold ferment I couldn't wait any longer and baked two last night after resting at room temp for about 1-1.5 hrs. No problems stretching it to about 12 inches. I used convection bake at 550 with pizza stone 5in from top broiler, but never had to use it.

1st pie is classic margherita with buffalo mozzarella, ~9 min
2nd pie is kimchee, bulgogi and mozzarella, using leftovers  from weekend dinner, ~8 min

Very happy at how they turned out. Was spewing terms like oven spring and cold fermentation to the wife like nobodies business. Loved the texture and crumb of the crust. Could use bit more char on bottom but it was still golden brown and crispy. Plan on getting 1/2 in steel for the remaining two balls, hopefully taking it out to 8 days.

Thanks to everyone for being so generous with time and knowledge ESP glutenboy, Anh Chau, Pete-zza to name just a few.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:15:58 AM by hppzz »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: 1st NY pie
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:16:51 AM »
Nice work! Your pies look very tasty.
You might get some more of the bottom char you mentioned if you don't bake on parchment paper.

Offline hppzz

Re: 1st NY pie
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »
Ahh yes good point, didn't want lack of skill in using a pizza peel to ruin dinner but maybe will work up courage later, lol

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: 1st NY pie (glutenboy recipe)
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »
Hppz, you will eventually want to work up to not using the parchment paper but nothing wrong with it for now.  Heck that's how I made my first pies and they weren't anywhere as good looking as yours.  Until you wean yourself though, you can slip the paper right out after the pizza crust has baked and set for a few minutes.

Chau

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »
Very nice start. Welcome to the forums too!

Offline hppzz

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
Hppz, you will eventually want to work up to not using the parchment paper but nothing wrong with it for now.  Heck that's how I made my first pies and they weren't anywhere as good looking as yours.  Until you wean yourself though, you can slip the paper right out after the pizza crust has baked and set for a few minutes.

Chau

yes, will have to work on weaning myself off the parchment but thanks for the tip on the parchment.  do you use semolina or just regular ap flour to dust the peel?

Offline hppzz

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 06:03:17 PM »
Very nice start. Welcome to the forums too!

thanks! in the two head spinning, mind numbing weeks of reading all the knowledge on here, i'm all the better for it.  i noticed you're in LA. me too. Planning on going to Bobco Metal in DTLA to get an A36 hot rolled steel cut to size, was quoted price around $40 for 16 x16" plate to try out.

-hong

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 06:41:46 PM »
yes, will have to work on weaning myself off the parchment but thanks for the tip on the parchment.  do you use semolina or just regular ap flour to dust the peel?

Both work very well.  I currently use flour for the peel when I'm making NP pizza and semolina or cornmeal for NY style.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »
thanks! in the two head spinning, mind numbing weeks of reading all the knowledge on here, i'm all the better for it.  i noticed you're in LA. me too. Planning on going to Bobco Metal in DTLA to get an A36 hot rolled steel cut to size, was quoted price around $40 for 16 x16" plate to try out.

-hong

I actually live out in the IE, I just use LA as an easier major city. I grew up in LA county too, so thats another reason. Anyways, I got a plate custom cut to my oven specs by a place near me for 25 bucks, and it is 1/2 inch thick. I'm assuming yours would be 16 x 16 x 1/2? If it is, it is in no way worth it to drive that far over $15 if you are located downtown.

pizzapan