Author Topic: Firewood usage rate  (Read 627 times)

Offline f.montoya

Firewood usage rate
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:16:34 AM »
In order to determine whether or not I use too much firewood, I'd like to ask, how long would a cord of seasoned firewood last you? Can you describe your usage in detail? A cord is supposed to be a 4' x 4' x 8' of neatly stacked firewood, preferably split. Could you get 6 parties of 20 pies each out of that? More? Less?

I may have been making breads and doughs, including various pizza doughs, over the past 10 years, but I've only had a wood fired oven for 7 months now. I live in Japan, where a 18" x 18" x 14" box of firewood runs about $20, which I had bought several of early on. Luckily, I've recently been getting free firewood with the assistance of Mr. and Mrs. Onishi, who take me to gather up what their golf country club cuts down and leaves off to the side. I would estimate that I have well over two cords of mostly Oak and a little Cherry wood, but I still worry that I may blow through it faster than I might want to.

Any insight you have would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:18:13 AM by f.montoya »

Offline shuboyje

Re: Firewood usage rate
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 05:47:55 PM »
4x4x8 is 128 cubic feet.  Assuming a liberal amount of gaps lets say 75% of that is actually wood, so 96 cubic feet.  In my 30" oven with 3" of mass I could do what you ask with 2 cubic feet, so 48 times with a cord.  In my 42" oven with 4.5" of mass it would take double that, so 24 times. 
-Jeff