Author Topic: Is Schiacciata Focaccia?  (Read 508 times)

Offline hotsawce

Is Schiacciata Focaccia?
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:56:43 PM »
Is Schiacciata Focaccia? If not, what is the difference? I can't find much info on it. Some say it is focaccia, others say it is brushed with EVOO, others not. Can anyone offer insight or guidance on this bread? Thickness, characteristics, otherwise? Most interested in it's application in many italian sandwich shops.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Is Schiacciata Focaccia?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:12:18 PM »
Why don't you just bake up some Schiacciata and see for your self....for every name of something there are many variations. I could give you what I consider to be the best recipe in the world for this bread; a page worth of instructions too...only to have you say "blah".
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:08:52 AM »
To me, that's like saying "bake a Neapolitan pizza" but if you don't know you could bake it and have it nothing like a Neapolitan pizza. I'm trying to learn what it is (traditionally) and bake it as close as possible to that and tweak as needed. (If you can see the angle I'm coming from here)

Why don't you just bake up some Schiacciata and see for your self....for every name of something there are many variations. I could give you what I consider to be the best recipe in the world for this bread; a page worth of instructions too...only to have you say "blah".
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:14:02 AM by hotsawce »

Offline Polo

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 08:16:49 AM »
I do not know much about this bread, but if you try a search on "The Fresh Loaf" you will find some info.

Looks like fruit is often added.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »
Is Schiacciata Focaccia? If not, what is the difference? I can't find much info on it. Some say it is focaccia, others say it is brushed with EVOO, others not. Can anyone offer insight or guidance on this bread? Thickness, characteristics, otherwise? Most interested in it's application in many italian sandwich shops.
Here is a nice looking one with potato and rosemary. The bread looks a lot smoother and softer than a focaccia but they call theirs..."schiacciata (focaccia)" In google images I did see many that had fruit in them like Polo mentions.

http://www.ideericette.it/ricetta-schiacciata-focaccia-con-patate-e-rosmarino/
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »
Found a Bonci video or two, some more info, pics, etc. Reading up, but will post here soon for anyone else interested!

pizzapan