Author Topic: How many slices per pizza?  (Read 39013 times)

Offline Daster

How many slices per pizza?
« on: January 30, 2006, 01:27:19 PM »
Hello,  New poster here!  I've been turning out some really great pizza's at home and I was wondering how many slices are typically in 10/12/14/16 inch pizzas.  I've made a 10" deep dish which produced 8 slices, and I've made a 14" NY style that also produced 8 slices.  The slices were good sized, so I'm wondering if the 14" should produce 16 slices.  Any comments or suggestions!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How many slices per pizza?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 02:24:02 PM »
Daster,

There are no hard and fast rules on this. Your question reminds me of a famous Yogi Berra-ism, uttered by Yogi when a waitress at an Italian restaurant asked Yogi how many slices she should cut his pizza. He replied "You better make it four, I don't think I could eat eight."

To be serious, 8 slices seems to be fairly standard for a 14-inch and 16-inch pizza. However, some pizza operators who sells pizza by the slice often cut their pizzas into fewer slices. I have read of 16-inch pizzas being cut into 4, 6, 8 and 12 slices. I have even read of 18-inch, 20-inch and 22-inch pizzas being cut into 6 slices. Some places that sell only by the whole pie will use 12 slices for a 16-inch pie.

Peter

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 02:48:37 PM »
Good question,
If I buy pizza by the slice hopefully the slice will be a 16" pizza sliced in two.  :chef:

Never really thought about standard size slicing.
-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline Daster

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 03:01:36 PM »
I know it may seem trivial, I can just cut it in as many slices as I want.  I was thinking though about the times I take my kids to Chuck-E-Cheese where their pizzas seem to have a lot of slices.  I'm not sure on the size of the pizza...probably a 16" or so.  I looked at how many times I could slice the 14" I made over the weekend and I figured I could maybe squeeze 16 slices, but everyone will be getting up for more slices every 2.5 seconds.  It seemed that 8 was the magic number, so I was just curious.  Thanks for all replies!

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 10:52:10 PM »
6 or 8 slices for a 12", 8 for a 14", 8 or 10 for a 16" and 10 or 12 for an 18" .   There is an old polak joke we used to say, "cut that pie in 8, I can't eat 10!!"  You can also cut it into 16 on larges if you need to.

pizzapan