Author Topic: Smoked Scamorza Cheese  (Read 3486 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Smoked Scamorza Cheese
« on: May 25, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »
In the YouTube video clip of Antico pizza, they use Smoked Scamorza Cheese then top it off with Buffalo Milk Mozzarella Cheese and sprinkle the pizza with Pecorino Romano.

I have access to Buffalo Milk Mozzarella Cheese at Trader Joe's and it is easy to find Pecorino Romano, but the challenge is to get Smoked Scamorza Cheese. My question is for those, who have tried Smoked Scamorza Cheese. Is the flavor that better than mozzarella or do people use Scamorza Cheese because it melts better when baking for the WFO temperatures?  Thank you.

TomN

http://www.italydepot.com/smoked-scamorza-fattorie-del-sole-1-piece-250-grams-8-oz/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:12:15 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Smoked Scamorza Cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 05:59:53 PM »
WOW, no responses at all. It appears that very few people use it or have tried it.

Maybe that is what Antico pizza has figured out. Nobody else is making pizza this way. Perhaps that is why they have a line of people waiting for pizza, three WFO going strong, and sometimes selling 1000 pizzas a day. I am going to have to hunt down some Smoked Scamorza Cheese, Buffalo Mozzarella, Pecorino Romano, and give it a try.

TomN
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 06:03:25 PM by TomN »

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 09:15:38 PM »
Hey Tom. I use scamorza sometimes and find it similar to whole milk mozz. I'm also a fan of cheese first these days. Pecorino for me is a sometimes thing. The sheep milk definitely brings more barnyard to the party.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 09:29:50 PM »
Hey Tom. I use scamorza sometimes and find it similar to whole milk mozz. I'm also a fan of cheese first these days. Pecorino for me is a sometimes thing. The sheep milk definitely brings more barnyard to the party.
Jeff, "smoked" scamorza?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 09:32:38 PM »
WOW, no responses at all. It appears that very few people use it or have tried it.

Maybe that is what Antico pizza has figured out. Nobody else is making pizza this way. Perhaps that is why they have a line of people waiting for pizza, three WFO going strong, and sometimes selling 1000 pizzas a day. I am going to have to hunt down some Smoked Scamorza Cheese, Buffalo Mozzarella, Pecorino Romano, and give it a try.

TomN
Take a look...
http://www.pizzatoday.com/magazine/scamorza#.UaFlzkor6A0
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 10:28:31 PM »
Bob,

Thank you very much for the link to the article. I really appreciate it.

TomN
PS
I am disappointed that the Buffalo Milk mozzarella didn't offer more in flavor. Hope that Scamorza doesn't disappoint because it will take some doing to get it at my house.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 10:38:17 PM »
Pizza Today, makes it sound very good. i look forward to trying it.

"Scamorza is a cow's milk cheese, and it is quite similar to mozzarella in many respects. Like mozzarella, scamorza is a pasta filata cheese. Beyond that, though, the texture of scamorza is chewier and has quite a bit less moisture than mozzarella. Also, the flavor of scamorza is more piquant than mozzarella, and that definitely adds interest. In addition to giving it a try on pizza, it is an excellent cheese for an antipasto tray or appetizer (using cold cuts, olives, peppers, etc.). And a panini made with scamorza and prosciutto is quite a treat."

http://www.pizzatoday.com/magazine/scamorza#.UaFyk5xP66V

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 04:45:21 AM »
Scamorza is mozzarella that has been let dry, hung with it's familiar bulb shape. Smoked gets hung over a fire for a awhile before final drying.

Smoked mozz works just as well if you cannot find it. Calabro makes them, so if your grocery carries that brand they can get it for you.

John

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 09:05:33 AM »
The only brand of this cheese I ever see in my area is Cappiello's, which states that it's mozzarella with a provolone bite.   http://cappiello.com/images/capp-scamor-12oz.jpg

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »
I routinely mix some mild provolone with my mozzarella, I also smoke my own mozzarella.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »
Is the taste of smoked Scamorza similar to Mozzarella and provolone mixed together??? Thanks for the feedback.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »
Provolone is also aged mozzarella. The longer it ages the more piquant it becomes. I believe the enzyme used for coagulation of the curds is what makes it become sharper as it ages.

Scamorza and provolone are nearly identical except for shape.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »

Is the taste of smoked Scamorza similar to Mozzarella and provolone mixed together??? Thanks for the feedback.

No. The smoking gives it a totally different flavor.

John

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 11:36:32 PM »
Provolone is also aged mozzarella. The longer it ages the more piquant it becomes. I believe the enzyme used for coagulation of the curds is what makes it become sharper as it ages.

Scamorza and provolone are nearly identical except for shape.

John

John,

Would it be fair to say that smoked provolone would give you the same taste results as the smoked Scamorza?  Also, perhaps Antico uses a higher end smoked scamoza?

Finally, there is a pizzeria in town that has been here for about 30 years. I talked with the staff and they use a smoked provolone for their cheese. It has a really good taste too. But you would not know it was smoked provolone, unless someone told you.

TomN

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 11:49:43 PM »
John,

Would it be fair to say that smoked provolone would give you the same taste results as the smoked Scamorza?  Also, perhaps Antico uses a higher end smoked scamoza?

Finally, there is a pizzeria in town that has been here for about 30 years. I talked with the staff and they use a smoked provolone for their cheese. It has a really good taste too. But you would not know it was smoked provolone, unless someone told you.

TomN

I'm sure John will chime in, but I'd say close but no. I find that scamorza melts smoother and is creamier with a slightly less sharp taste.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 01:39:52 AM »
Thanks Jeff V,

That gives me encouragement to order the smoked scamorza online.

TomN

http://www.amazon.com/Smoked-Scamorza-Fattorie-Sole-Full/dp/B005CD1LEE/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 03:24:07 AM »
Thanks Jeff V,

That gives me encouragement to order the smoked scamorza online.

TomN
Ordering smoked scamorza online will be an expensive proposition, why not just smoke some mozzarella yourself, it's easy and cheap, I smoke dry aged Sorrrento mozzarellla and it tastes great on pizza.

http://www.amazon.com/Smoked-Scamorza-Fattorie-Sole-Full/dp/B005CD1LEE/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 04:48:27 AM »

Offline dhorst

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 01:03:38 AM »
Well, the cold smoking method with the soldering iron works like a charm! Thanks DMC!  It may be more practical for those of us who live in cooler climates during the summer.  Just wondering what do you guys think of cold smoking butter or olive oil?

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2013, 06:57:47 AM »
I don't know about butter, but olive oil might be interesting. Another thing to put in the smoker while your cheese is smoking is a dish of kosher salt.