Author Topic: Need help choosing KA mixer...  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
Need help choosing KA mixer...
« on: May 25, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »
Been looking online and in stores at different KA mixers. I am leaning towards this one....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/KitchenAid+-+Ultra+Power+Tilt-Head+Stand+Mixer+-+Imperial+Gray/8815516.p?id=1206749661568&skuId=8815516

Does anything have this model and if so what are your thoughts?? :pizza:

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
Re: Need help choosing KA mixer...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »
I don't know about that model but I've owned a similar KA for the last 30 years with heavy use for a home machine and never had a problem.
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 01:16:45 AM »
When I go home to visit I use that one. My mom has it and it is nice unit. However I definitely think KA mixers are for making things like cakes and cookies. They are good for whipping and long/fast mixing. If I was going to buy a mixer mainly for breads/doughs I would not purchase a KA.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 05:13:28 AM »
I don't know about that model but I've owned a similar KA for the last 30 years with heavy use for a home machine and never had a problem.
Kevinbrown, if your KA is 30 years old it is a Hobart unit. Hobart sold the Kitchen Aid business to Whirlpool in 1986. I also have a Hobart KA, wouldn't trade it even up for anything with the KA name on it today. From what I understanf, the best KA today for dough is the Professional model. Buyer beware!

Online dsissitka

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 07:41:21 AM »
If I was going to buy a mixer mainly for breads/doughs I would not purchase a KA.

Seconded.

The spiral hook doesn't appear to be compatible with that model and in my experience the C hook doesn't work very well.

Have you considered the Bosch Compact?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:12:02 AM »
In our bakery/pizzaria we used KA pros for a few years for small order stuff and they all died.   The motors burnt up and or the gears stripped.   The old hobart ones were a different breed for sure.  The new ones are junk IMO.  Walter

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »
Thanks dmcavanagh I do have a Hobart, hadn't known they sold that line.
Kevin
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 02:26:05 PM »
What year did the KA began to lose quality? Looking at a few older ones on craigslist.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »
They were sold to Whirlpool in 1986. The original Hobart's have the Hobart name on the silver strip of metal on the side of the machine where the speed control knob is located.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 07:09:07 PM »
I've read a lot people on here use the KA with no complaints. I was also looking at the artisan series.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 07:13:40 PM »
Do a lot of research, many KA mixers have a plastic "sacrificial" gear which is designed to break as a way to protect the motor from failure if overworked. The plastic gear breaks before the motor fails, motor is saved, but then the gear must be replaced.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »
I've read a lot people on here use the KA with no complaints. I was also looking at the artisan series.

I have one (K5SS), I use it for dough, and I generally don't complain about it. That does not mean I would recommend it to someone who primarily wants a mixer for dough. Quite the contrary. It's not the best mixer for dough. There are no ifs ands or buts about it. If you use it infrequently and within its capacity, it will probably work OK and last for a reasonably long time.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
I have the KA Pro 600 and replaced the worm gear (metal, not plastic) twice before buying a Bosch and relegating the KA to lightweight duty like mixing cake batter, etc.   You'd definitely have to put me in the camp of saying the KA won't hold up to regular dough work unless you can get one of the older Hobart ones.

pizzapan