Author Topic: what do you put on the thing before you put on the pizza dough?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline preppystud

do you still have to put oil or corn meal on pizza stone?

and for those who use non-stick pizza pans, can you cook your pizza without any oil or corn meal under it?

i have a non-stick pizza pan, but if i don't put oil on it, the pizza sticks to the pan.

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: what do you put on the thing before you put on the pizza dough?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 01:14:39 AM »
No corn meal or flour on the pizza stone. I have never seen the pizza stick to the stone.

Offline ninya

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 04:10:35 AM »
My non stick pan has just starting sticking in some places on the outer rim. I am spraying some oil around that section, but avoiding spraying the whole pan, as when I do the crust is really soggy. So, I'm not sure what the answer is if the whole thing starts to stick? Baking paper maybe??

As for the stone, I have just bought a pizza stone. Have not used it yet, but the instructions are telling me to put cornflour or flour on it first otherwise the pizza will stick to it?

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 06:55:12 AM »
My thinking would be IF you put flour on a hot stone the flour would burn, maybe not  ???
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline henkverhaar

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »
No corn meal or flour on the pizza stone. I have never seen the pizza stick to the stone.
OTOH, I DO use corn meal on the peel. Pizza dough (at least _my_ pizza dough...) tends to stick to my wooden peels. This will automatically transfer some corn meal to the stone - where the only thing it does is burn, and smell bad, for about 5 seconds. AFAIK it has no actual function on the stone, once the pizza has successfully separated from the peel.

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:23:09 PM »
try using parchment paper on your peel, then pulling the paper out after the pizza has been on the stone for a few min., No extra flour or cornmeal needed

Offline Tory

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »
I typically use corn meal on the countertop when stretching the pizza dough into a crust, but after the dough is stretched out and ready, I transfer it to parchment paper, then I put on sauce, cheese and toppings.
I've tried putting the pizza right onto the stone in the oven (without parchment paper) but I find that areas of the underside of the dough will stick to the peel. So I've been unable to escape the need for parchment
regardless of how much corn meal I use on the dough.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 10:18:26 PM »
Tory,  not to make you spend money ,but the Super Peel works great, you don't need any cornmeal or flour.  Before I got a super peel I would sometimes have the pie stick to the peel when it took me too long to dress it - so I usually tried to rush it.  With the Super peel ,  no such problem, I take all the time I want.  Hate to sound like an infomercial, but it really does work.

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 06:54:50 AM »
I recommend using rice flour in place of cornmeal.  Functions incredibly well.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 07:44:20 PM »
I too, like rice flour for dusting the peel.  I really like Wondra for dusting the peel.  It releases in a beautiful way if you act quickly when topping and doesn't cling to the bottom.

pizzapan