Author Topic: Is this dough blown? Or will it make a good pie?  (Read 632 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Is this dough blown? Or will it make a good pie?
« on: November 02, 2014, 04:13:25 PM »
Hi:

I made (what I thought was) a 3 day cold ferment dough for baking tonight.  When I returned home yesterday (day 2) and checked on the dough, it sure looked funny to me.  Bubbles on top (maybe receded from a dome), strong alcohol smell, sort of flattened on top.  The bottoms looked ok.

This morning, after pondering some of this, I decided that the root cause might be the temperature of my beverage center refrigerator - I will probably post this issue in a different thread.  So, I put the dough containers in my Sub-Zero regular fridge to arrest any further development as well as possible.

So, what about cooking them?  Can you tell me, after checking these pictures, if these dough balls will cook well tonight or should I toss them? 

Upon realizing the issue yesterday, I did make a couple of more dough balls to ferment for 24 hours.  So, I am not worried about being pizza-less tonight.  I am just trying to figure out what if these are tanked or OK.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks.

- Mitch
Mitch

Offline PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Is this dough blown? Or will it make a good pie?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 04:30:01 PM »
What was your dough formula, with quantities of each ingredient?  Looks like a very wet dough with a lot of yeast. I think it will be fine, but you could take a small piece of it and bake it, and see what it tastes like. Given it was only a few days, as long as there are no signs of mold, off colors or nasty smells, it should be ok.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »
It is relatively wet with 65% hydration.  The yeast was not particularly high - 0.2% IDY with a final dough temperature of 74.  I have used this yeast level (and higher) many times before for a 3 day dough.  I am suspecting, but do not know,  it is my fridge temperature (posted separately).

Thanks for letting me know you think it will work.  - Mitch
Mitch

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
Mitch,

You can see what my one dough ball looked like on Friday at Reply 544 (in the first two photos)  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,33753.msg346565.html#msg346565  It still opened okay and made a decent pizza.  The edges were drier too from the dough popping the lid of the container a couple of times.  You can see what the dough ball looked like right before I used it to make a pizza the third photo down in Reply 544.  The highly fermented dough can also be seen in a warming cabinet I used to warm up 3 dough balls at Reply http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,33753.msg346578.html#msg346578 (fourth and fifth photo down).  The dough ball was the one in the plastic container with the white lid.  I have used dough balls that have looked worse than yours to make pizzas.

Norma
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:37:06 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »
I have used dough balls that have looked worse than yours to make pizzas.

Norma

Yeah, those dough balls in your pictures do look similar, but you do magic! I have seen your pizzas -  :chef:

I was originally planning on 2 pizzas.  I decided to make 3 dough balls "just in case."  Then, I made 2 doughs last night for backup since those looked so weird.  I may end up with a LOT of pizza tonight.  Or not.

- Mitch
Mitch

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »
Mitch,

If you are not sure of all of your dough balls they can always be put into a greased/oiled pans and can be risen again.  Just use the dough ball cold and press it in a round or square greased/oiled pan.  The dough can rise again with an oven light on.  Then if you like Sicilian pies it is just that easy.  With 65% hydration a Sicilian pie should be very good.  I tried different dough balls that way that looked like they were overblown.  Usually the Sicilian pizza was good.

Norma
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:48:09 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »
Mitch,

If you are not sure of all of your dough balls they can always be put into a greased/oiled pans and can be risen again.  Just use the dough ball cold and press it in a round, square or rectangular greased/oiled pan.  The dough can rise again with an oven light on.  Then if you like Sicilian pies it is just that easy.  With 65% hydration a Sicilian pie should be very good.  I tried different dough balls that way that looked like they were overblown.  Usually the Sicilian pizza was good.

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 05:03:38 PM »
I was going to say try a lite re-balling and a little room temp rest and try the first one as just a sauce and cheese pie, always worth eating just to see the results and go from there, good appetizer fare. But I think I like Norma's idea of a Detroit/Sicilian idea a bit more.
I'm actually torn on my next pie whether to make a cracker crust (been a year or so and everyone loves them) or the Detroit/Sicilian style (everyone love them too :P) ohhhh what to do. Might have to flip a coin or do both!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 05:07:13 PM »
Mitch,

If you are not sure of all of your dough balls they can always be put into a greased/oiled pans and can be risen again.  Just use the dough ball cold and press it in a round, square or rectangular greased/oiled pan.  The dough can rise again with an oven light on.  Then if you like Sicilian pies it is just that easy.  With 65% hydration a Sicilian pie should be very good.  I tried different dough balls that way that looked like they were overblown.  Usually the Sicilian pizza was good.

Norma

Norma: Great idea!  Thank you.  Jon:  Probably too late in the day for a reballing.  Cooking in about 3 or 4 hours.  I wish I had thought of that last night.

I think 2 doughballs (510 grams / 18 ounces altogether) will fill a quarter sheet pan (9 X 13) nicely.  It would yield a thickness factor of .15.

We'll play it as it goes later, but that could be fun.
Mitch

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 09:40:17 PM »
Just to double back to you guys, the dough worked out pretty well - definitely worth using the dough and baking pies with it.  It was VERY extensible.  All I had to do was "look at it" and it opened up to well over 12 inches (the plan was 12 inch pies with a TF of .08 - I think they came closer to 13" and 0.07).  No knuckles, no slaps, just gentle patting - flip it over - gentle patting - flip it over.  Each of the two doughs I baked developed one small hole and it was super easy to just patch it with a pinch and move on.

Launch was easy, even though it was 65% hydration and so fermented.

Best of all, it handled well and tasted very good.  This was actually my first shot at Tony Gemignani's "Napoletana" dough in the new Pizza Bible book.  It was not exactly the recipe, since I was doing time management and I was mixing KAAP and Caputo.  It called for a poolish, followed by a 3 day cold ferment.  Great flavor with a "sourdoughs" tang. 

All good.

Norma, Jon, PrimeRib - Thank you guys for your feedback.  I will cross post in the Daily pie update but I owned you the follow-up.  Since without pictures, it didn't happen, pictures to follow.

- Mitch

PS Now I have to get my refrigerator repaired or calibrated to avoid a repeat.  In the meantime, I will use less time or yeast.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:51:00 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
Very nice turn out. I've had overblown doughs and some that I would have swore I forgot the yeast or the yeast was bad due to ZERO activity and found it was perfect. You never know ;D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 10:00:24 PM »
Mitch,

Looking very good!   

Norma

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 02:28:30 PM »
All good. Since without pictures, it didn't happen, pictures to follow.
All GREAT I'd say!  Nice recovery of your dough.  Thanks also for all the detail and discussion about Tony's book. I've enjoyed all of your posts. Nice to see the pic using a Tony-ish dough too!
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

pizzapan