Author Topic: Dough slightly bland, advice please  (Read 240 times)

Offline MrH

Dough slightly bland, advice please
« on: October 17, 2014, 10:24:56 PM »
My pizzas have been coming out really good lately, I'd say they're about 90% there but my dough is ever so slightly bland and I'm just wondering if it's a case of adding more salt or sugar?

My recipe, which makes two 11" pizzas (pics below)

398g strong flour
246ml water
1.25 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp yeast

I make the dough every Monday and have it on Wednesday and Thursday, the dough is definitely better on Thursday.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Dough slightly bland, advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:46:05 PM »
It looks like you have plenty of fermentation time, so look at the salt level. Insufficient salt = bland flavor. the amount of salt to add to your dough is about 8-grams but anything between 8 and 10-grams should work well.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline MrH

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 10:52:30 PM »
It looks like you have plenty of fermentation time, so look at the salt level. Insufficient salt = bland flavor. the amount of salt to add to your dough is about 8-grams but anything between 8 and 10-grams should work well.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

1.25 tsp is 7.11g, so it seems I'm not using enough salt. I will try upping it a little next week.

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 11:11:29 AM »
MrH, why do you do the flour by weight and the rest by volume.  Why not do everything by weight?  It is fool proof and consistent every time. A small scale only costs a couple of dollars or pounds in your case. Just a suggestion.  You will find a small bump up in the salt will do you just fine.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »
MrH,

Your complaint is a common one, especially from people who have mastered a basic dough recipe but find themselves wanting more flavor out of their crusts.

Increasing the salt is an obvious way of getting more flavor. However, in your case, at about 1.75% salt, you are not really on the low side. You might increase the salt to say, 2%, but you might also consider some to the possibilities I laid out in Reply 34 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7551.msg79094/topicseen.html#msg79094 and in Reply 35 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17911.msg181278.html#msg181278. An excellent thread if you would like to use beer as part of the hydration of your dough and get more (but different) flavor in the crust is the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.0.html.

There are also specialty flavorings for the rims of pizzas. Some time ago, when one of our members asked if there was a way of getting more flavor in a Papa John's clone, I gave him several ideas, including some rim flavor options, as can be seen in Reply 608 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg280345.html#msg280345. You should, of course, ignore all of the fancy chemicals in the rim flavor options and stick to the core "food" components of the options.

Good luck.

Peter

Offline MrH

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:29:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I actually made the dough on Sunday and had my first pie from it tonight and it was definitely better by just adding a touch more salt (1.25tsp > 1.5tsp). I have another ball for tomorrow and it'll be my first ever 5 day ferment so I'm interested to see how it turns out.

This was tonight's pie:

pizzapan