Author Topic: What should I change to get crispier?  (Read 929 times)

Offline PizzaGarage

Re: What should I change to get crispier?
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 09:39:10 PM »
Just a few suggestions. The "crispy crust" looks to have cornmeal...would you know if that is the case?

Some ideas...

Switch from bread  flour to all purpose ( KA is you can find it)
Increase yeast to .3
Shoot for 43 ( dry crust) to 48 ( little more moist ) hydration
Get the dough out of the mixer at 78 to 80
Ball and put into the fridge w/o the 20 minute delay
Go for 48 hours and take your fridge temp from 50 to 36(ish). 48 hours is a minimum for flavor and crispness
Let ball warm up 45 minutes before using

The "cripsy" pizza has a sheeted dough, you are not making the same style.  You can use a roller or sheeter to get the thinness.  Then dock.

Make sure your sauce is fairly thick, you don't want a watery sauce.

If the cheese is an issue and you don't want it brown, switch to a 25% low moisture part skim mozzarella and 75% whole milk low moisture mozzarella ( for the test pizzas) with a 28-35 day age.
Set the oven up at 450 and if you are using a deck oven, adjust so more heat is applied to the deck as opposed to the chamber.  Cook for the first 10 min on the deck and move the pie to a screen.  Watch this part, as soon as the crust is brown switch to the screen.  This should reduce or eliminate the black spots.  Also, keep the deck clean ( no burnt up cornmeal or cheese as they can put so e blackness on the crust)

If you think the crust you like has cornmeal, take the semolina to 10% and cornmeal to 6% as starters....

My 2 cents....

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
I haven't eaten at Project Pie, But I have tried Pieology and MOD Pizza,  These pizzas are done in about 3-5 minutes, is that the cook time you are going for?

Offline Scagnetti

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 11:18:03 AM »
Here's the recipe I'm using:

Flour 80% (13% bread flour. No name brand)
Semolina:  20%
Salt: 1.75%
Olive oil: 1%
Instant dry yeast: 0.15%
Water 58% (75F)

I'm trying to reconcile your dough recipe using the Expanded Dough Calculator on this site.

So is it fair to say you replace 20% of the total amount of flour called for in your recipe with semolina flour?

For example, if by weight your recipe calls for 500 gms of flour, you would you use a mix of 400 gms of flour and 100 gms of semolina?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 11:30:31 AM »
I'm trying to reconcile your dough recipe using the Expanded Dough Calculator on this site.

So is it fair to say you replace 20% of the total amount of flour called for in your recipe with semolina flour?

For example, if by weight your recipe calls for 500 gms of flour, you would you use a mix of 400 gms of flour and 100 gms of semolina?
exactly   ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan