Author Topic: Tony's Pizza Bible - Oven Temperature - How high should I go?  (Read 400 times)

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Tony's Pizza Bible - Oven Temperature - How high should I go?
« on: November 05, 2014, 04:12:46 PM »
Hi:

Well, I have the Pizza Bible book and some diastatic malt powder (expired by a few months, but still sealed.  I doubt I will expire from it, too.  Hope not  :angel:).  And, I just bought some Giusto High Performer Flour (lucky, a store 10 minutes from my house carries it) which is on the list recommended by Tony.

So, I am ready to go and try the Master Recipe.  I am going to try to resist temptation to do my own thing and follow his directions closely.  But, one variable that I am going to fool with is oven temperature.

Rather than bake on a stone in my kitchen oven @ 500, I will bake it in my WFO.  I do not think I have ever baked with a relatively high gluten flour in there (this stuff is 13-13.5%) so I am feeling unsure about the "best temperature."

My thinking is to shoot for a floor temperature of about 650 and something like a 4 minute bake.

The other variable I am tempted to tinker with is the thickness factor.  The Master Dough recipe makes 370 gram (13.05 ounces) dough balls and the NY Style calls for a 13 inch round.  This translates to a thickness factor of 0.10.  He does not always use this thickness.  For example, the St. Louis pie is 225 grams and 12 inches which translates to a thickness factor of 0.07. 

I almost always make pies at 0.07 to 0.08.  I am going to have to ponder this one and I have until tomorrow before I make the dough balls...

Temperature sound right?  Anyone with experience with these kind of flours have a view or any pointers on the temperature?
Comments on the thickness factor?

Thanks,
Mitch

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Tony's Pizza Bible - Oven Temperature - How high should I go?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 07:38:59 PM »
Gemignani specifically states that malt isn't necessary at 650 and above, so I'd try 550-600.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:01:57 PM »
Hmmmm.  Great point, thanks!

Alternatively, I can leave the malt out.  (Today is the poolish, tomorrow the mix).

Separately, I have actually been second guessing the flour.  In the book (page 12), he says that he uses flour with 12.5-13.0% protein for 36 hour doughs and 13.0-13.5% for 36-48 hour doughs. Mine will be around 34.  But, there are recipes with both 12.0% and 13+% protein flours with directions to ferment for 24-48 hours.  There may be very good reason for the recipes to not be the same as what he does in the commercial environment - temperature? skill? mixing method? 

- Mitch

Online dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
Data point: I've also been using Giusto's high protein flour, the master recipe, and a thickness factor of 0.07. I've been making my pizzas in a 500F oven on a 0.75" cordierite stone and they usually cook for 7 minutes.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:25 PM »
How long did you cold ferment?  24? 48? other?  Thx.

Online dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 08:22:48 PM »
How long did you cold ferment?  24? 48? other?  Thx.

24 hours with starter, 48 without. For the first pizza anyway. I usually make enough dough for two and have the second the following day.

I need to do more testing but so far I haven't noticed a difference between the pizzas made on day one and the pizzas made on day two.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 08:40:07 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 12:43:24 AM »
I am starting to use Pendleton Power Flour and usually run my WFO at a launch floor temp of 600-650 . 4-5 minute bake. I have been reading the book and plan on not changing the oven temp. Kinda depends on how you want the baked pie to be?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 10:45:28 AM »
Thanks Mark.  BTW, do you use any sugar at those temps?

Well, I made the dough.  Given I am likely to shoot for 650 - 700 or so, I left the malt out - as Jonas pointed out, that is consistent with Tony's guidance.

Regarding the flour and my second guessing, I split the difference.  It is roughly 60/40 KABF/Giusto's High Performer.  Total protein is probably right near 13. 

The dough balls were 284 each.  I will open the dough to somewhere between 12 and 13.  So, the thickness factor will be 0.08 +/- depending on how much I end up opening it.

I will open another thread if the results are worthwhile to share.

Thanks again,
Mitch

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »
Thanks Mark.  BTW, do you use any sugar at those temps?

Thanks again,
Mitch

No sugar in the WFO for me.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles