Author Topic: Trying to learn more about “Tomato Pies”  (Read 64726 times)

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Trying to learn more about “Tomato Pies”
« Reply #240 on: August 20, 2013, 09:09:10 PM »
Now, that you mention it, I have no idea.  I'm actually dyslexic so I wouldn't trust what I read to say one or the other.  I have to read everything twice before I get it right.

My wife said the bags had a pink logo, if that helps.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2013, 09:54:39 PM »
My wife said the bags had a pink logo, if that helps.
BenLee,

As between Sorrento and Sargento, I would pick Sorrento because it has a very large foodservice division. Sargento has a foodservice division but it does not place high in the foodservice pecking order. It is very strong in the retail cheese business.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2013, 10:23:25 PM »
Norma,

As part of my ongoing research, I found this eGullet thread on De Lorenzo/Hudson/Robbinsville: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/111573-big-changes-at-delorenzos-in-trenton/. What is most noteworthy about this thread is the reference to the "Pilsbury's bakers best flour". I believe that flour is the one I previously mentioned and found at the GM website at http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/product/best-bakers-patent-flour-bleached-bromated-enriched-malted-50-lb/133054000?mct=Flour&ct=pizza&typ=Category. I also believe that JoeyBagadonuts meant that same flour, but with a somewhat different name (Pillsbury Best Bakers Patent High Gluten Flour), in his post at Reply 176 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.msg167142.html#msg167142. As previously mentioned, that flour has a protein content of 12.9%. In your case, a blend of the Kyrol (14%) and Occident (12.2%) flours should make a good match, and it will be both bleached and bromated, just like the Pillsbury flour.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for doing more research!  That is an interesting thread on egullet.  I did see something else about De Lorenzo's on egullet, but not that thread. 

Besides Jeff L positng on the egullet forum about the Pillsbury's Baker Best flour, he also posts that they do use Maggio commerical size cheese and the redpack/6-in-1 tomato sauce blend.  Then Rick Pawlak posts that he saw Sorrento mozzarellla at the Robbinsville location and was surprised it was a consumer brand. 

Trenton Bill told me he knows who is the distributor of the Pillsbury flour that the Robbinsville De Lorenzo's location gets there flour from because he talks to that distributor sometimes, but I forgot what the name of the distributor is.

I was busy today and had to put some pizzas in my top deck oven, besides the bottom deck of my oven. The pizzas then were transferred to the bottom deck when the ones on the bottom deck were baked.  Those transferred pies did bake differently and had more of a crispy bottom.

The only Kyrol flour I have is old and all I use that for is bench flour. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #243 on: August 21, 2013, 06:23:49 AM »
Norma,

I did see the Pawlek eGullet post but didn't comment on it since it was over five years old. I believe that Robbinsville is now using Grande cheese. But it is stil good to know that other cheeses have worked. It also looks like a 6-in-1/RedPack combo is a viable one. And maybe we have finally zeroed in on the type and brand of flour.

Do you have any other flour with a protein content above 12.2%? If not, for now you might use the Kyrol for your test.

I have also been researching olive oils. I have read several articles that talk about De Lorenzo drizzling olive oil on their pizzas, and some of the photos and videos show some type of oil being swirled onto the pizzas using squeeze bottles or an oil can, but we have no idea as to the actual type of oil or brand used. It might even be a blend, as was previously mentioned by one of our members. I mention the oil because I wonder whether the same oil, or blend, is used in the dough as on the pizzas. Logically, it would seem to make sense to use only one type of oil, not two. And since olive oil is perhaps the best type of oil to put on a pizza, for taste reasons, I am inclined to believe that De Lorenzo's uses olive oil or an olive oil blend.

In the above vein, I studied the Robbinsville photos with the oil matter specifically in mind. Just from the color of the oil in the squeeze bottle containers, I would say that it is not soybean oil or canola oil. They are very light in color. The De Lorenzo oil also is not green or golden in color either, as are many olive oils. To my eye, the De Lorenzo oil, or blend, seems to match up best with a pomace olive oil. That is a type of oil that a foodservice firm would carry. When I have a chance today, I will post up links to a few photos that show pomace olive oils that look to my eye to be of the same color as the De Lorenzo oil.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #244 on: August 21, 2013, 07:35:21 AM »
Norma,

Here are a few links that show various brands of olive pomace oils. For color comparison purposes, I used the Robbinsville photo at http://www.delorenzostomatopies.com/images/dtp-shoot08-untouched/pages/100_3161_JPG.htm.

http://img.21food.com/img/product/2010/6/14/olivelinecn-23360310.jpg

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/olive-pomace-oil-1-gallon/101OLIVEPOMC.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=COirvPOxjrkCFcFj7AodmDAAYQ

http://www.pathosolives.co.uk/images/products/Olive-Pomace-Oil-5L-Barrel.jpg

http://www.amway.in/Images/products/2013024115054-pri-olive-big.jpg

The above links are by no means exhaustive. If you do a Google Image search on olive pomace oil, you will find many more examples of olive pomace oils with good color matches. You will also see the broad range of olive pomace oils.

I might add that pomace oils can come in different colors, from light green to almost brown, and can be made from olives from many different countries. Since olive pomace oil is not the first press, and since olive pomace oils are usually processed to provide a fairly neutral flavor, some producers add a high quality olive oil to produce a more flavorful product. The advantage to end users is primarily cost but with perceived health benefits as compared with other oils. I recall privately advising two pizza operators who were looking to cut costs, but still use an olive oil, to switch to olive pomace oils. They did so and reported back that they could not tell the difference. They were using the olive pomace oil in their doughs but I think they should also work on top of a pizza. I have never used olive pomace oil personally (it is not a supermarket product) so I can't speak from personal knowledge. However, for your purposes, I would use a quality olive oil, either alone or in an 80/20 olive oil/canola oil blend.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: August 21, 2013, 08:07:44 AM »
Norma,

I did see the Pawlek eGullet post but didn't comment on it since it was over five years old. I believe that Robbinsville is now using Grande cheese. But it is stil good to know that other cheeses have worked. It also looks like a 6-in-1/RedPack combo is a viable one. And maybe we have finally zeroed in on the type and brand of flour.

Do you have any other flour with a protein content above 12.2%? If not, for now you might use the Kyrol for your test.

I have also been researching olive oils. I have read several articles that talk about De Lorenzo drizzling olive oil on their pizzas, and some of the photos and videos show some type of oil being swirled onto the pizzas using squeeze bottles or an oil can, but we have no idea as to the actual type of oil or brand used. It might even be a blend, as was previously mentioned by one of our members. I mention the oil because I wonder whether the same oil, or blend, is used in the dough as on the pizzas. Logically, it would seem to make sense to use only one type of oil, not two. And since olive oil is perhaps the best type of oil to put on a pizza, for taste reasons, I am inclined to believe that De Lorenzo's uses olive oil or an olive oil blend.

In the above vein, I studied the Robbinsville photos with the oil matter specifically in mind. Just from the color of the oil in the squeeze bottle containers, I would say that it is not soybean oil or canola oil. They are very light in color. The De Lorenzo oil also is not green or golden in color either, as are many olive oils. To my eye, the De Lorenzo oil, or blend, seems to match up best with a pomace olive oil. That is a type of oil that a foodservice firm would carry. When I have a chance today, I will post up links to a few photos that show pomace olive oils that look to my eye to be of the same color as the De Lorenzo oil.

Peter

Norma,

Here are a few links that show various brands of olive pomace oils. For color comparison purposes, I used the Robbinsville photo at http://www.delorenzostomatopies.com/images/dtp-shoot08-untouched/pages/100_3161_JPG.htm.

http://img.21food.com/img/product/2010/6/14/olivelinecn-23360310.jpg

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/olive-pomace-oil-1-gallon/101OLIVEPOMC.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=COirvPOxjrkCFcFj7AodmDAAYQ

http://www.pathosolives.co.uk/images/products/Olive-Pomace-Oil-5L-Barrel.jpg

http://www.amway.in/Images/products/2013024115054-pri-olive-big.jpg

The above links are by no means exhaustive. If you do a Google Image search on olive pomace oil, you will find many more examples of olive pomace oils with good color matches. You will also see the broad range of olive pomace oils.

I might add that pomace oils can come in different colors, from light green to almost brown, and can be made from olives from many different countries. Since olive pomace oil is not the first press, and since olive pomace oils are usually processed to provide a fairly neutral flavor, some producers add a high quality olive oil to produce a more flavorful product. The advantage to end users is primarily cost but with perceived health benefits as compared with other oils. I recall privately advising two pizza operators who were looking to cut costs, but still use an olive oil, to switch to olive pomace oils. They did so and reported back that they could not tell the difference. They were using the olive pomace oil in their doughs but I think they should also work on top of a pizza. I have never used olive pomace oil personally (it is not a supermarket product) so I can't speak from personal knowledge. However, for your purposes, I would use a quality olive oil, either alone or in an 80/20 olive oil/canola oil blend.

Peter

Peter,

What makes you believe that the Robbinsville location is now using Grande cheese?  Did someone report that other than the one person that mentioned that on the Trenton thread?  I thought you said the Grande shredded packages don't contain a name on the plastic bags on the Trenton thread.

I do have the All Trumps flour that is above 12.2%.  The Kyrol flour has some hard balls in it now, so that is why I am only using it for bench flour.

Thanks for researching oils you think De Lorenzo's at the Robbinsville location might be using.  I see the oil looks like a olive pomace oil.  You have a good eye, because I would not have been able to tell what kind of oil that was in that container from the link you posted.  I will have to purchase some to try.  I never tried olive pomace oil before.  It would save me money too if I used a olive pomace oil in my dough, instead of the olive oil I am using.

I did get an email back from Joe Kelley this morning.  This is what he said.
Hello Norma,

Best Bakers is a Pillsbury brand patent flour.  It has a lower protein content than our High Gluten flours like All Trumps.  It has traditionally been used as a high quality bread flour but works very well for pan/Greek style pizza as well as tomato pies.

Are you looking for yourself or another forum user?

Thanks,

Joe

BTW, did you think those dough balls were different sizes in the photos you referenced before?

I also was invited by Scott Wiener to the big fund raising event in NYC.  This is the email he sent me.
Wow I've always heard there was a Trenton/Jersey Shore connection and I guess this is it! I think Marucas buys their mozz and ages it 6 months to soften it. I tried an experiment with a block of Polly-o and it did get really soft and creamy. Interesting their website says mozzarella but they use white cheddar. WOW 45 lbs per block is a lot of cheese! All very interesting. I really can't wait to meet you in person -- I am going to learn a TON!

Hope to meet you soon! Actually, we're doing a big fundraising event in Manhattan on October 9 and I wonder if you're interested in participating in some way. We get 35 or so of the city's best pizzerias to donate pizza and the slices go for $1 each. All the money goes to the local food bank. Last year we raised $13,800 and this year we're going to hit $20,000. Let me know if you'd like to come volunteer for the event! Either way, spread the word because this event is all about great pizza and I know that's very near and dear to you!

www.sliceouthunger.org

Talk soon,
Scott

I sure would like to volunteer at the sliceouthunger event and be able to meet Scott Wiener in person.  ;D  I have to see what I can do about going to that event.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:14:52 AM by norma427 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #246 on: August 21, 2013, 09:16:11 AM »
Norma,

What makes you believe that the Robbinsville location is now using Grande cheese?  Did someone report that other than the one person that mentioned that on the Trenton thread?  I thought you said the Grande shredded packages don't contain a name on the plastic bags on the Trenton thread.
I may have jumped the gun on what Robbinsville is now using. To recapitulate, in the early days, De Lorenzo's/Hudson used the Maggio cheese. But, according to Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5223.msg44262.html#msg44262, if Chick was to be believed, De Lorenzo's/Hudson also used Grande cheese. Later, but still in the roughly 2007 timeframe, it was reported by BenLee (at Reply 133 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.msg46797/topicseen.html#msg46797) that De Lorenzo's was perhaps using Sorrento cheese. Since BenLee posted in Sept. 2007, before the opening of Robbinsvile (which has been around for about five years, having opened in late 2007), he must have been referring to the Hudson location. However, Pawleck at eGullet reported in March 2008 seeing the Sorrento cheese at the Robbinsville location. So, what Robbinsville is now using is up for grabs. But thanks for getting me to lay out the chronology. I will search some more to see if I can find what cheese Robbinsville is now using.

As for the markings on the bags of cheese, my understanding has always been that Grande marks its bags of shredded mozzarella cheese. You may be thinking of JoeyBagadonuts post at Reply 21 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.msg44330/topicseen.html#msg44330 or Reply 171 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg272686.html#msg272686.

I do have the All Trumps flour that is above 12.2%.  The Kyrol flour has some hard balls in it now, so that is why I am only using it for bench flour.
The All Trumps is fine. I will use that as the basis of my calculations of the amounts of the AT and Occident flours to use for your experiment.

I did get an email back from Joe Kelley this morning.  This is what he said.
Hello Norma,

Best Bakers is a Pillsbury brand patent flour.  It has a lower protein content than our High Gluten flours like All Trumps.  It has traditionally been used as a high quality bread flour but works very well for pan/Greek style pizza as well as tomato pies.
That is good news because it corrects the mislabeling of the description of that flour at the GM website. It was also interesting to note that the flour can be used to make tomato pies. That is right up our alley.

BTW, did you think those dough balls were different sizes in the photos you referenced before?
I am leaning to yes. Part of it is that I am hard pressed to recall any pizza operator who uses one size dough ball to make more than one size of a given style of pizza. Some may use the same dough to make two different styles (such as a Chicago deep-dish and a Chicago thin) but not two sizes of the same style. At least that I can recall. Also, Rick De Lorenzo was also very assertive on this point in his response to you at his Facebook page. Now I am looking for evidence beyond the eyewitness account of one of our members who originally suggested that only one size dough ball was used by De Lorenzo's to make both sizes of pizzas that they are actually doing that. Ultimately, I think that this is a matter that can easily be resolved by trying to make a 14" pizza and a 16" pizza from the same size dough ball. If the 16" is a cracker rather than something between say, a cracker style and a NY style, then that should end the matter.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:57:49 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #247 on: August 21, 2013, 09:56:44 AM »
Norma,

Following up on my last post, you no doubt are aware of the article at http://mainlinepizzaquest.blogspot.com/2012/01/review-delorenzos-tomato-pies-hudson-st.html since I saw your mug shot in the comments section :-D. As you know, that article, which was close to the day that De Lorenzo's closed at Hudson (1/15/12), said that De Lorenzo's/Hudson was using Sargento cheese. However, the first commentor corrected the article by saying that the cheese was Sorrento cheese, not Sargento cheese. If the commenter was correct, that increases the likelihood that Robbinsville went with the Sorrento cheese also, since there would not have been a reason not to do so, and especially since Robbinsville in all material aspects beyond the more modern setting and using new Blodgett ovens seemed to be copying everything that was being done at the time at the Hudson location. I might be wrong and Robbinsville might have gone to another cheese at some point, so more evidence is needed to nail this down.

BTW, in the article at http://www.delorenzostomatopies.com/DTP-MidNJMag-June-2013.pdf, Sam said that he wanted the Robbinsville restaurant to stay true to the original in Trenton, to the point where when the restaurant was under construction he would bring a five gallon jug of water with him on his trips between Trenton and Robbinsville to see if the new water faucets changed the way the pizzas turned out. 

Peter
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:56:54 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #248 on: August 21, 2013, 10:05:14 AM »
Peter,

Thank you for laying out the chronology about the cheese that De Lorenzo's might be use. 

I will reply to your posts more later when I get home from taking my mother to the eye doctor, but I wanted to know Joey Kelley sent me another email.  This is what it said.

Hi Norma,

Please send me your address again and I will ship you a sample of the Best Bakers to try out.  The dough will not stretch as thinly as dough made from All Trumps but it will create more volume when baked which should hopefully give you the tomato pie you have been looking for.

Thank you,
Joe Kelley

Guess I will get to try out the real flour that De Lorezno's is using.  ;D

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #249 on: August 21, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »
You sweet talker you.  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: August 21, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »
Peter,

I also thought Grande always labeled their bags, at least from what I have seen.  I guess I was thinking about JoeyBagadonuts post at Reply 21.

Maybe I will see if different size dough balls are used at the De Lorenzo's Robbinsville location when I get to visit.  Your idea is good about making two sizes of pizza out of the same weight dough balls.

Yes, that was my post on the article you referenced at Reply 247 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg274404.html#msg274404  Yep, that is my mug shot in the comments section too.  :-D  I didn't think about Robbinsville going with Sargento cheese. 

I talked to Trenton Bill again this morning and he told me who he thought was the distributor of De Lorezeno's flour was.  The distributor is called Arm National Food Service,  1546 Lamberton Rd., Trenton, NJ.  They don't have a website, but I called them.  I was passed from person to person, but finally got to talk to a saleman.  Joe told me that they do carry the Bakers Best Pillsbury Patent flour.  I had wanted to get a catalog in all they offer for pizzerias, but first I would need to set-up an account.  Joe said he would tell me prices for anything I wanted to know though without setting up an account.  The Bakers Best Pillsbury Patent flour is 16.20 for a 50 lb. bag right now.  I found one other thing interesting that Joe told me.  Joe said they do sell a lot of the Bakers Best Pillsbury Patent flour, but sell a lot more All Trumps and So Strong flour http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/product/so-strong-flour-bleached-bromated-enriched-malted-50-lb/133878000?mct=Flour&ct=pizza&typ=Category to pizzerias in the Trenton area.  Joe told me they also sell Grande products, but I didn't ask about other cheeses.  Do you want me to call Joe and ask him about other cheeses?  Joe gave me his direct cell phone number.  Joe was also a owner of a pizzeria for a long while.

Edit: I didn't see your edited post, but did read about taking water to the new location.  Lol that made me chuckle.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:24:53 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: August 21, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »
You sweet talker you.  :)

Bob,

Lol, do you mean about the flour?  If you did, I only wanted to find out if the flour had a Pillsbury name to it and also how it performed. 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #252 on: August 21, 2013, 01:39:49 PM »
Joe told me they also sell Grande products, but I didn't ask about other cheeses.  Do you want me to call Joe and ask him about other cheeses?  Joe gave me his direct cell phone number.  Joe was also a owner of a pizzeria for a long while.
Norma,

It would be interesting to know if National Food Service carries the Sorrento mozzarella cheese, tomato products like the 6-in-1s and RedPack, and olive pomace oil or something equivalent for use in pizza applications. If they carry those items that might tell us that they are the De Lorenzo supplier, or maybe one of them.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: August 21, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »
Norma,

It would be interesting to know if National Food Service carries the Sorrento mozzarella cheese, tomato products like the 6-in-1s and RedPack, and olive pomace oil or something equivalent for use in pizza applications. If they carry those items that might tell us that they are the De Lorenzo supplier, or maybe one of them.

Peter

Peter,

I called Joe, and although he speaks with a heavy Italian accent, I think I understood all what he said.  Joe said the do carry 6-in-1s, Red Pack Plum tomatoes, olive oil pomace blends in 10%, 25% and I think he said more percentages of blends in the percentages, but am not sure of if there were other percentages mentioned.  For the cheeses he said they carry Grande, Polly O and something called Philly's Best mozzarella.  I asked Joe what is Philly's Best mozzarella because I never heard of it before.  Joe said the Philly Best is one of the better sellers in their area.  I had no idea what Philly's Best mozzarella was so I asked Joe who makes/or who is the producer of that mozzarella.  He wasn't sure, but said he would find out for me and get back to me.  I have no idea if Philly's Best mozzarella is something that Crowley's makes and maybe might have been Maggio mozzarella at one time.  Joe said they don't carry Sorrento mozzarella, Sargento or Maggio mozzarella.   

Norma

scott123

« Reply #254 on: August 21, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »
Norma, this is slightly off topic, but you've baked with Grande and Country Brand mozzarella, right? How would you compare them? Have you baked with any other wholesale brands, and, if so, how do those compare?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2013, 03:29:07 PM »
Norma, this is slightly off topic, but you've baked with Grande and Country Brand mozzarella, right? How would you compare them? Have you baked with any other wholesale brands, and, if so, how do those compare?

Scott,

I have baked with Grande, but not with Country Brand mozzarella.  I do get to taste the pizzas made with the Country Brand mozzarella from when Steve makes those NY style pizzas.  I would have to say I do like the Country Brand mozzarella better than Grande.  To my taste buds Grande has lost some of its flavor, although it melts and strings beautifully.  As you know right now I am using a mild white cheddar on the pies on this thread.  If you want the name of that mild white cheddar you can PM me, but that mild white cheddar only comes in 40-45 lb. blocks.  Most of my customers think the mild white cheddar is really mozzarella.  I had numerous customers tell me that my cheese is the best mozzarella they have ever tasted.  I have used other commerical mozzarellas like Foremost Farms and Bella Fran.  They both are good mozzarellas to in my opinion, with Bella Fran beating out Foremost Farms to me.  I did try John Martin's mozzarella and don't like that.  I would have to think over what other mozzarellas I might have tried.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »
Peter,

Joe called me back and can't find out who produces Philly's Best mozzarella. 

Norma

scott123

« Reply #257 on: August 21, 2013, 03:34:54 PM »
I would have to say I do like the Country Brand mozzarella better than Grande.  To my taste buds Grande has lost some of its flavor, although it melts and strings beautifully.

Thanks, that exactly what I wanted to hear. I, too, feel that Grande has lost flavor.  If Country is more flavorful to you, then I'm ready to invest in the $25 or so for a brick to try it out.

Offline BeerdedOne

• La pizza è una storia d'amore passionale!
« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »
I have fond memories of the philly style tomato pies, having grown up in that area.  Corropolese, Gaeta's & especially Marchianos being a few of note.  In my opinion these pies really shine in their ability to be eaten cold and stay fresh for long periods due to the soft and bready dough that is used.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: August 21, 2013, 04:13:18 PM »
Thanks, that exactly what I wanted to hear. I, too, feel that Grande has lost flavor.  If Country is more flavorful to you, then I'm ready to invest in the $25 or so for a brick to try it out.

Scott,

What brands of mozzarellas can you purchase in your area?  You can ask Steve (Ev) on one of his threads what he thinks about the Country Brand of mozzarella compared to Grande.  I think Steve purchases the Country Brand of mozzarella at Salino's in Reading, Pa.  http://www.salinosimporting.com/  I know it is cheaper a lb. than the mozzarellas I was purchasing.

Norma

pizzapan