The other day I made another De Lorenzo/Robbinsville clone test dough. It was similar to an earlier two-day cold fermented version but with less oil (blend) and a higher hydration value. Specifically, this was the formulation: 57.5% hydration, 0.20% IDY, 1.5% salt, 0.30% olive oil, and 1.2% soybean oil (for a total of 1.5% oil blend). By selecting 0.20% IDY, what I was shooting for was a doubling in the volume of the dough after two days. As you know, and as you reported recently on another thread, it can be a challenge to make a dough in a home environment where the refrigerator door is opened and closed several times a day. I am always adding and subtracting things in my refrigerator so I am never quite sure what a dough ball sitting in the middle of everything is likely to do, even when I put it toward the back of the refrigerator compartment. Fortunately, somehow the test dough did not go wild. It increased in volume by 126% (a bit more than a doubling).
I let the dough warm up for about 45 minutes. Previously, both during the cold fermentation of the dough and for most of the temper time, there had been no bubbling of the dough at any time or any place. However, toward the end of the temper time, I started to see signs of soft bubbles forming in the dough. There is really nothing with that kind of bubbling, and it is often responsible for some nice bubbles forming in the finished crust, even at De Lorenzo/Robbinsville, but I did not see signs of bubbling in the dough balls that I saw in the Robbinsville photos or in the video that you posted from your visit there. I decided to open up the dough ball. I was able to do this but it took longer to get the dough ball to open without springing back too much. But, using my knuckles, I was able to open up the dough ball to 14" quite easily. I even went to past 18" to see what would happen. The skin responded to my every move, without tears or anything else going wrong. There were soft bubbles in the skin, however, but I could not toss the skin.
I mention all of the above because I am still wondering how De Lorenzo/Robbinsville manages to get dough balls that show no signs of bubbling, at least that I could see from everything I looked at. From my past test dough balls, I was able to form a decent skins in a decent amount of time even the dough balls had expanded in volume by double and triple. And it wasn't because I was using an excessive amount of yeast for what I was trying to do. Admittedly, with my latest test ball I was using a higher hydration than the 55% doughs that you and Trenton Bill tried with good results, so maybe that is a factor, or it might be a factor for a two-day cold fermented dough but not for a one-day cold fermented dough because of the extended fermentation of the two-day old dough ball.
To explore things a bit further, I am in the process of making another two-day cold fermented test dough but with considerably less yeast. This time, I will not be shooting for a double. Rather, it will hopefully be less than that. I'd like to see if that dough will perform both during and after tempering without the formation of soft bubbles. I'd hate to blame that on Texas heat or my refrigerator if the bubbles do form.