Author Topic: Trying to learn more about “Tomato Pies”  (Read 65031 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Trying to learn more about “Tomato Pies”
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »
Glad to be of assistance Norma....try Home Depot for the timer.  ;)

Hey...broasted chicken!?  :drool:   Haven't had that in over 25 yrs.; back home we had a little mom an pop country restaurant that was the only place in town to get that stuff...the chicken and the big broasted tater wedges. Thanks for the memory!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2013, 04:53:51 PM »
Glad to be of assistance Norma....try Home Depot for the timer.  ;)

Hey...broasted chicken!?  :drool:   Haven't had that in over 25 yrs.; back home we had a little mom an pop country restaurant that was the only place in town to get that stuff...the chicken and the big broasted tater wedges. Thanks for the memory!  :chef:

Bob,

I will check out Home Depot for the timer.  Hopefully by tomorrow night or Saturday it will be a little cooler in our area.  I went today and got flour and cheese and took them to market, cleaned and did a few other errands and it was way too hot out for me.

Yep, they have broasted chicken and broasted potato wedges at that chicken stand, plus other stuff.  It is a Amish family that owns that stand.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
I tried making a few tomato pies last week. I have a lot to learn, notwithstanding, I don't see this ever being my favorite style.

These are:
KAAP (would have used KABF but didn't have any)
64% water
2% salt
2% evoo
1% sugar
0.03% IDY

24 hours in balls at 64F. Baked at 550F for about 8 minutes.

The red peppers on the pie in the first picture are Anaheim peppers that turned red in the garden and I cured sott'olio. That was the best pie by far. I clearly used more pepperoni that I should have on the pepperoni pie, but that is a family demand that must be met.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2013, 09:57:56 PM »
I tried making a few tomato pies last week. I have a lot to learn, notwithstanding, I don't see this ever being my favorite style.

These are:
KAAP (would have used KABF but didn't have any)
64% water
2% salt
2% evoo
1% sugar
0.03% IDY

24 hours in balls at 64F. Baked at 550F for about 8 minutes.

The red peppers on the pie in the first picture are Anaheim peppers that turned red in the garden and I cured sott'olio. That was the best pie by far. I clearly used more pepperoni that I should have on the pepperoni pie, but that is a family demand that must be met.

Craig,

Your tomatoes pies look delicious!  ;D I like how you fermented 24 hours in balls at 64 degrees F.

I know your real love is for Neapolitan pizzas.   :angel:

Do you mind telling me what you did with the Anaheim peppers?  I don't know what cured sott'olio is or how it is done.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2013, 10:35:36 PM »
Do you mind telling me what you did with the Anaheim peppers?  I don't know what cured sott'olio is or how it is done.

This was a modified (for speed) approach that was really a proof-of-concept for a larger project, but the end product was quite tasty. Basically, I cut them in half, salted them, and let them sit until they had given up most of their water. I then washed them in vinegar, poured hot EVOO on them and let them sit overnight.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2013, 06:45:11 AM »
This was a modified (for speed) approach that was really a proof-of-concept for a larger project, but the end product was quite tasty. Basically, I cut them in half, salted them, and let them sit until they had given up most of their water. I then washed them in vinegar, poured hot EVOO on them and let them sit overnight.

Craig,

Thanks for telling me what you did with the Anaheim peppers.  That sounds like something interesting to try with peppers.  Looking forward to hearing about you larger project.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2013, 07:58:32 AM »
In one batch of my doughs on Monday I used 1 regular frozen dough ball and 2 frozen Detroit style doughs.  The finished dough was more sticky than usual and then I used the same method of balling that I do for the Detroit style dough, in that I do flour each scaled dough a little before balling.  It now makes me wonder just what happened with those dough balls it that they were easier to open.  I don't know if that was from adding old dough, maybe a higher hydration, or the flouring method I then used from the more sticky dough.  I didn't have time to taste any of those pizzas, but the dough balls handled beautifully.  It was a lot less humid and cooler when I made the dough batches on Monday too.

Norma

Offline Markus M.

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2013, 09:59:25 PM »
Umm UM! Those pies look good!  :drool: dang it! now im hungry. good job!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2013, 10:35:37 PM »
Umm UM! Those pies look good!  :drool: dang it! now im hungry. good job!

Markus,

Thanks for your kind words!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
I finally got to try a Maruca's pizza today. http://www.marucaspizza.com/   My daughter and granddaughter went to Seaside Heights to visit and brought me home 2 slices of Maruca's pepperoni pizza.  They purchased a whole pizza and took two slices out of the whole pizza for me.  I thought Maruca's pizza was very good, but the cheese doesn't taste anything like Mack's or Manco & Mancos cheese.  The crust was better than a Mack's pizza in my opinion and had more taste in the crust than a Mack's pizza.  It seems like there is some kind of buttery taste in the rim crust of Maruca's pizza. 

The BS is sure good for reheating slices.  The bottom crust was was very crispy after the reheat and to reheat a slice sure is quick. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2013, 08:41:53 AM »
These are a few photos of the boardwalk style of pizzas, or the tomato pies from yesterday.  I think most of my regular customers are used to the name boardwalk style of pizza, so I think it would be hard now to change the name to tomato pies.

I  purchased a block (5.88 lbs.) of Foremost Farms LMPS mozzarella from my local distributor and had it delivered yesterday.  It can be seen what the price per pound is right now.  The price per pound for what I pay for the cheddar by the block (44.1 lbs) can also be seen on the invoice from yesterday.  There is a fairly big difference in the prices of  those two cheeses when you are making more than a few pizzas a day.  For a home pizza maker they probably would like to pay either of those prices.  The price per lb. of the Foremost Farms LMPS mozzarella jumped 20 cents per lb. since the last time I purchased a block.  The price of the cheddar went down a few cents a lb. in the price in two weeks. 

After I had turned my oven yesterday morning and was getting some things set up the one maintenance man brought me this email Root's Market had received 7/30/2013.  I did call Bonnie and asked when she wanted the 4 pizzas with extra sauce ready.  Bonnie said she had tried my pizzas last week and had taken some slices home to her children.  They all decided they really liked my boardwalk style of pizzas and that is why Bonnie ordered 4 more pizzas.  It kind of unnerves me that Root's Market didn't call me or email about that pizza order, because they do have my email and phone numbers.  I also have been talking to Root's management in the last week about the other thread I started on how to get more foot traffic to my area. Bonnie said she is an early market person and was ready to come to Root's when I talked to her at 8:45 AM in the morning.  I told Bonnie my oven wasn't heated up enough to make her those pizzas right away, but I could have them ready by 10:15 AM.  I did give Bonnie my email and two phone numbers when she picked the pizzas up, so she doesn't have to email Root's management anymore.  I did have to make a few pizza also to put in my heated case in that amount of time.  Bonnie also brought a friend along that tried a slice of my boardwalk style of pizzas.  She said the next time she is also going to order a whole pizza.  I can always get to market a little earlier if someone wants to pick up whole pizza earlier.

I had different customers tell me yesterday that they did share my my facebook pictures of my boardwalk style of pizzas on their facebook page and told their friends to try my boardwalk style of pizzas.  I thanked those customers for sharing my photos of my boardwalk style of pizzas.

Norma   
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:43:40 AM by norma427 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2013, 09:07:38 AM »
Boy I wish I could kick somebody right square in the pants over there at Root's management. What a bunch of lazy asses....worse than a damn donkey! DANG!!    ::)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2013, 09:46:35 AM »
Boy I wish I could kick somebody right square in the pants over there at Root's management. What a bunch of lazy asses....worse than a damn donkey! DANG!!    ::)

Lol Bob!   :-D  I get discouraged with market management different times.  A little while ago market management had purchased blocks of tickets to our local Barnstormers baseball games and had drawings to win those blocks of tickets.  I had talked to market management different times about getting more foot traffic to our area.  The last time I talked to them before I recently emailed the thread about getting more foot traffic to our area, market management sent a maintenance man to give me the winning names of people that won those tickets. Market management had emailed the winners.  I guess because I was complaining and they might have thought emailing those winners might bring more customers back to my area.  I had the winning tickets for 3 weeks and only three of the winners actually came and picked them up.  Another maintenance man came back last week and asked if I still had any tickets left because market management wanted to know.  I said yes I had loads of those blocks of winning tickets left and is market going to email the winners again.  No one told me nothing.  I had to check who the winners were when they came to pick up the winning tickets and keep different papers separate from one another to be able to give the office all the stuff back.  I finally took those winning tickets back to the office.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2013, 12:56:14 PM »
Yeah, they volunteer you to take care of their e-mails but, IMHO,  when it comes to your important e-mails it's "so long sucker!"   :-*
Bob don't like them people...they play dirty pool.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 03:17:19 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2013, 02:58:30 PM »
Bob,

Often what people do or fail to do is not with malicious intent. It is incompetence. In this case, Norma may be able to tell the difference.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2013, 04:32:04 PM »
Yeah, they volunteer you to take care of their e-mails but, IMHO,  when it comes to your important e-mails it's "so long sucker!"   :-*
Bob don't like them people...they play dirty pool.  ::)

Bob,

I think the reason the market management gave me the blocks of tickets to hand out was because market management thought that might get more people back into my area.  Market management did send the emails out to the winners in the first place.  This is another story about what market management did to try and help out the sports vendors that are almost across from me.  They also complain that not enough customers get into our area to market management and also have talked about leaving market.  Market management did put the box where customers fill out the entries for those blocks of tickets at their stand to try to draw more people back there.  Market management did announce each week over the loudspeakers that people could go back to their stand to fill out entries.  I really don't think that helped those vendors much though.  The one night I asked if I could look in the entry box to see how many entries were filled out that day.  There sure weren't many entries for all the the people that come to market. 

Bob,

Often what people do or fail to do is not with malicious intent. It is incompetence. In this case, Norma may be able to tell the difference.

Peter

I don't think what market management does has any malicious intent.  I think market management just doesn't follow up on what it should.  I don't know if that is from not having enough people in the office or not.  Market management does have a lot to deal with with all the vendors that are at market.

Norma

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:05 AM »
Wow Paul!  ;D Thank you so much for converting what I used into bakers percentages.  I just had my original print out sheet at market and would tweak a little each week.  Then I got into trouble when I wanted to make a few more dough balls because I then didn't know what baker's percentages I used since I had changed stuff.  Your the greatest for helping me!  8)

Norma

Norma,

It seems like you're a pro with using the pizzatools here.  Can you advise how I would convert your current formula to make say, a 14 inch pizza?  I'd like something I could use in the Blackstone.

Thanks,

Pete

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2013, 10:32:02 AM »
Norma,

Can you advise how I would convert your current formula to make say, a 14 inch pizza?  I'd like something I could use in the Blackstone.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

The dough calculation tools here on the forum are not hard to use.  If you take the first dough formulation Paul posted at Reply 133 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25401.msg266219.html#msg266219 and use a size of a 14” pizza in the expanded dough calculation tool, or the Lehmann dough calculation tool this is what you will get. 

What Paul set forth for me for a 17.5” pizza.
First Dough (1 @ 17.5" Pie), TF = 0.080

Flour (100%):            330.56 g  |  11.66 oz | 0.73 lbs
Water (60.1%):    198.66 g  |  7.01 oz | 0.44 lbs
IDY (.25%):            0.83 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.27 tsp | 0.09 tbsp
Salt (1.75%):           5.78 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.21 tsp | 0.4 tbsp
Olive Oil (2.04%):    6.74 g | 0.24 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.5 tsp | 0.5 tbsp
Sugar (.89%):            2.94 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.74 tsp | 0.25 tbsp
Total (165.03%):   545.52 g | 19.24 oz | 1.2 lbs | TF = 0.08 

This is using the Lehmann dough calculation tool for a 14” pizza at:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html  but you can also use the expanded dough calculation tool at:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html

Flour (100%):                 211.56 g  |  7.46 oz | 0.47 lbs
Water (60.1%):                 127.15 g  |  4.48 oz | 0.28 lbs
IDY (.25%):                     0.53 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.18 tsp | 0.06 tbsp
Salt (1.75%):                       3.7 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.77 tsp | 0.26 tbsp
Oil (2.04%):                     4.32 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.96 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
Sugar (.89%):                     1.88 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.47 tsp | 0.16 tbsp
Total (165.03%):    349.13 g | 12.32 oz | 0.77 lbs | TF = 0.08

When you want to make a different size pizza than is given in anyones formulation all you have to do is put all of the numbers in the dough calculation tool that are given, except the pizza size.  All depending on how long you might want to cold ferment your dough ball you might need to up that amount of IDY.

You might want to note the bowl residue compensation for any dough that might be left in the bowl or on the dough hook.  I usually use a bowl residue compensation.

What style of pizza do you want me make in your BS?  Do you want more of a NY style pizza or do you want to make a Neapolitan style pizza.

Norma

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2013, 01:38:16 PM »
Delorenzo's I believe uses some type of california crushed tomatoes combined with whole Red Pack tomatoes.  They slightly squeeze the whole tomatoes so that they are still fairly large (1/3 to 1/2 of the whole tomato still intact).  The crushed tomatoes give it the sauce aspect while the whole tomatoes turn into sweet chunks.  I've been going there quite a while and my wife has known the Delorenzo family her whole life.  I also watch them plenty behind the counter.  They put a thin layer of low moisture mozzarella on the pie, followed by ladles of their sauce/tomato mixture along the pie.  It's basically the thinnest layer of cheese and sauce you can put on the pie while still having it completely covered.  They also put olive oil on top with a squeeze bottle.  After that, halfway through the bake, they sprinkle a tiny amount of mozzarella on top of the pie.  The cut on the pie is also different.  1 straight down the middle, and then 4 cuts perpendicular to the first cut. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2013, 01:59:08 PM »
BenLee,

Having spent considerable time trying to reverse engineer and clone the DeLorenzo pizzas, this is what I learned about the tomatoes used at the Trenton location. First, it was said that De Lorenzo used canned RedPack tomatoes. Then, someone reported seeing cans of 6-in-1 tomatoes. That was followed by someone reporting that the tomatoes were a brand with an Italian name. My thinking was that it was perhaps the Sclafani canned NJ tomatoes. Members reported that the tomatoes were whole tomatoes and that they were crushed by hand. The "sauce" made from the tomatoes was chunky rather than smooth and it was not cooked. Additions to the sauce that were mentioned included salt and sugar but no herbs. There was some discussion about use of garlic powder or oil in the sauce, but I never got confirmation on those items.

In Reply 166 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.msg73575.html#msg73575 , a member reported that a former worker at one of the De Lorenzo locations said that the tomatoes were "1 can of Crushed Red Pack Tomatoes combined with 2 cans of Whole Red Pack Tomatoes". I can imagine that the 6-in1s could have been substituted at any one of the different locations for the crushed RedPack tomatoes, and that some other brand of whole tomatoes (maybe the Italian named brand) could have been substituted for the whole RedPack tomatoes. The sauce was put on the pizzas in swirls or dollops.

To see what the tomato sauce looked like at the Robbinsville De Lorenzo location, look at the photos linked in Reply 150 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.msg58394.html#msg58394 . If you click on the thumb-nail photos, you can get a good up close look at the sauce, where you will see that it is not smooth. It is also bright.

My recollection is that there was a rivalry between different parts of the De Lorenzo family so it is possible that they didn't all use the same sauce, or the exact same dough, cheeses, etc.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:09:13 PM by Pete-zza »