Author Topic: Bakery Bits Dough Calculator  (Read 241 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Bakery Bits Dough Calculator
« on: January 14, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »
While I was researching another matter, I stumbled upon a simple dough calculator at a UK website on baking products. The calculator, which can be seen at http://bakerybits.co.uk/dough-calculator-bakerybits, can produce results based on entries in grams or percents. It isn't as user friendly as the dough calculating tool on this website, and it does not give the volume equivalents to the ingredients used, but it does allow for combining multiple flours (up to three) and users can type in their own ingredients beyond the ones already listed in the tool.

Peter

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
Re: Bakery Bits Dough Calculator
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 08:27:34 PM »
I agree with your assessment of the deficiencies.

The option to name the dough is a plus.

I sent them an email to see if they will open an area below the calculated recipe so that work flow and/or notes may be entered.

Bob

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 09:24:31 PM »
It says that you can go by percentage or weight but as far as I can tell the only difference between the two is that one has three fields for flour. Am I missing something?

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:46:33 PM »
Rounding the yeast to the gram is kind of shortsighted and ill-advised.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »
I like the idea of a grams dough calculating tool since recipes are often recited by weights, either in grams or in weights like ounces or pounds that can be easily converted to grams. Such a tool does not now exist on the forum although it is not all that difficult to convert a recipe recited in weights to a baker's percent format and then use one of the forum's dough calculating tools. I did this sort of thing a while back at Reply 93 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30152.msg341725#msg341725 in connection with the recipe set forth at Reply 60 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,30152.msg331137.html#msg331137.

Another advantage of the Bakery Bits Dough Calculator is that it is not based on Flash programming, which rules out using iPad computers. 

I also agree with Craig that items like yeast, and maybe other ingredients that require precise amounts, shouldn't be rounded out to the nearest gram.

Peter