Author Topic: Looking for input on wfo location in yard  (Read 1043 times)

Offline bradtri

Looking for input on wfo location in yard
« on: May 26, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
Pondering several different locations in the yard.  Option #1 is the only realistic option up by the patio.  Been thinking about #2 and #3 and was wondering how folks liked it if the oven was 40-50' from the patio?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Looking for input on wfo location in yard
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:46:49 AM »
As close to the kitchen as possible.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:25:24 AM »
As close to the kitchen as possible.

+1

OR

Build a prep area next to your oven. Running across your yard with pie on peel is for the birds.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:29:08 AM »
Just build it, they will come. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline bradtri

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Duly noted and understood of the convenience of being close to the house.  Anybody out there that does have their WFO 20-50' from their house and care to comment on it?

One biggie is that I'd certainly want to cook pizzas year around so crossing the yard in the dead of winter in Nebraska would definitely be a different story than in summer...

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »
If you live in an area with high winds, make sure the opening is protected from the prevailing direction.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »
Thanks for the tip about the wind ... hadn't considered that as a significant factor.  In NE, seems like the wind can blow from every direction!!  But, I'm reasonable well protected by landscaping and trees and the location up by the house would definitely be protected from north winds in the winter.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »
I agree, up and down steps and across the yard will not work.
Your pics of the deck itself are sketchy, but I think you need to get more creative.
I had a wall to help, but no reason why you can't build it on pilings and incorporate it in to the deck.
That was my eureka moment.

Perry
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:46:02 PM by pizzaboyfan »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 03:16:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Duly noted and understood of the convenience of being close to the house.  Anybody out there that does have their WFO 20-50' from their house and care to comment on it?

One biggie is that I'd certainly want to cook pizzas year around so crossing the yard in the dead of winter in Nebraska would definitely be a different story than in summer...

Mine is 50 or so feet from the house. At first I ran pies out from the from the kitchen. That sucks 100%. I made a temporary prep table, used it 2X, and built a serious one. Much better.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 05:45:56 PM »
Perry,
   That's way cool being incorporated into your deck.  However, I'm doubting that I can pass local building codes with that.  As it is, I'm required to build it 6' away from the house or attached deck.

Having rethought the walk across the yard pain, I'm pretty certain I'm going to end up with option #1 in my pic.  It's down the deck steps from my kitchen, but I've also recently finished my basement and have a kitchenette that works great for prepping.

thanks

Offline Reep

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »

Mine is built into an outdoor kitchen with a sink and lots of counter space.  Also has a grill and burner for prep.  There is a short path between it and the internal kitchen of about 30-40 feet.  I typically prep all my ingredients inside, and then when it is time to cook, I transfer everything out in bulk.  If I precook toppings (caramelized onions) then I do it on the outside burner.  Once I transfer it outside, all is good.  It does help to have a prep sink handy.  I also like having the cement path from the house to the oven.  Take into account that I live in SoCal, so there aren't too many bad weather days.

Offline IA Mark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »
Have you started building it ?  I am going to build one here when I get this patio/fire ring done. Probably not until next summer at the rate it is going.  So doing lots of reading up on forums etc.  Mine is going to be probably 60 to 80 foot from the house. If you look at my profile pic the back square of the patio is where it will sit, behind and between the cabinets ( The tops are made from concrete left in the pour)

Mark

Offline FocusHearth

• Neapolitan, or not
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 07:58:49 PM »
Ours is about 80' from the house.  We do all the prep work out at the oven.  This works well in the warmer months. Winters are not possible right now, but we hope to build some shelter around it next year, or the year after.

It can be done, but you'll need a winter plan.  I've seen some people build a barn around their oven, but that gets pretty expensive, and requires land.