Author Topic: Classico crushed tomatoes on sale for $1 at Walmart!  (Read 10404 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Classico crushed tomatoes on sale for $1 at Walmart!
« on: May 27, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »
Someone else had mentioned that their local Walmart had Classico crushed tomatoes on sale, so I checked my store and sure enough they were $1 there also. Not positive, but I have a sneaky suspicion that they might be being discontinued at Walmart, so now may be the time to stock up. I can no longer find the preferred Classico ground tomatoes at any of my local Walmart's, and good luck asking anyone for information in there! ::)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Classico crushed tomatoes on sale for $1 at Walmart!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
Today, while out running errands, I decided to check out a couple of the Wal-Mart stores near me to see if they were still carrying the Classico tomato products and, if so, which ones. The first Wal-Mart I visited had zero Classico tomato products. The second Wal-Mart had a small supply of the Classico Crushed Tomatoes and the Classico Whole Pear Tomatoes. And they were priced at $1 a can (28 ounces). As I was putting several cans into my shopping cart, I happened to see a couple of Wal-Mart workers nearby who were scanning shelf codes. I asked one of the workers if the price reduction meant that Wal-Mart was discontinuing the Classico tomato products. Af first, she instinctively said yes, but then went to the shelf that carried the Classico tomato products and saw that there was a sign that said the price of the Classico tomatoes was being reduced (a price "rollback"). I asked her again if that was being done as a plan to discontinue the Classico tomato products and, this time, she said no. She seemed to be quite confident of her answer even as I tried to shake a different answer out of her.

Call me skeptical but time will tell.

Before heading home, I stopped by a local Big Lots store. For weeks, they have been selling the Classico Tomato Sauce for $1 a can. They still have a large supply of that product on hand. Since Big Lots specializes in overstocked goods and phased out goods, I wanted to see if any other Classico tomato products were being added to their shelves. It may be a bit early, but I did not see any other Classico products.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:00:09 PM by Pete-zza »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
See...we're so big now we can't keep nothing as our own little secret.  >:(  Heinz is pi$$d cause of slumping 6 n 1 sales and now it's pay back time baby!!  ;D
Oh they're gone alright...you can best believe that folks. Bob is on his way to go rent that "lil truck at Home Depot for 75 minutes...OUT OF MY WAY walmart shoppers!! I only got 75 freak'in minutes man!!!  Sheeeesh!!  ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »
You may very well be right Bob. A few years ago I contacted Heinz's and asked them about making 6 in 1's available to retail because they were so popular with the pizzamaking community. The fact that so many people now know that the Classico's are a clone of the 6 in 1's at half the cost, probably has sealed their fate!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:19:20 PM »
You may very well be right Bob. A few years ago I contacted Heinz's and asked them about making 6 in 1's available to retail because they were so popular with the pizzamaking community. The fact that so many people now know that the Classico's are a clone of the 6 in 1's at half the cost, probably has sealed their fate!
Yep, but you can't help but think that Walterworld sure helped to sell an awful lot of that product. I'm wanting to believe they are going to just rebrand it into a 'lil fancier pair of pajamas and jack the price jus a 'lil.
Fingers crossed.  :-\

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »
I have never tried classic crushed tomatoes (I usually use Sclafani). Are they worth trying to track down? I guess at $1/can they are eh?
Chaz

Offline communist

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »
I have never tried classic crushed tomatoes (I usually use Sclafani). Are they worth trying to track down? I guess at $1/can they are eh?
Yep, they are excellent.  They are the same product as Escalon's 6 in 1, which is one of the top favorites on this forum   Mark

scott123

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 08:41:09 PM »
I have never tried classic crushed tomatoes (I usually use Sclafani). Are they worth trying to track down?

I believe it's a SuperWalmart thing, of which there are none in NJ.  I've checked for them in Shop Rite, Pathmark, A&P, Kings and Foodtown- all to no avail.

Stanislauses are my absolute favorite CA tomato, and, from what I've read, Escalon is in the same quality ballpark. If these are either rebranded Escalons or Escalon clones, they're definitely worth tracking down, but I think it's going to be tough to do in NJ.

As far as comparing them to the Sclafani's... I've come to the conclusion that CA and NJ (and Italian) are very different tomatoes and have their own strengths and can't really be compared side by side. My NJ Sclafani's have a ton of sweetness and an incredibly bold flavor, but... they don't tend to marry well with my fresh basil/fresh garlic sauce that I formulated using CA tomatoes. At least not yet. The Italian tomatoes, even the non SM Italian tomatoes, tend to be mild, a little sweet and a bit iron-y/volcanic.

I grew up with CA tomatoes and a fresh basil/garlic sauce, so that might be biasing me a bit, but, if I were doing a NY shop, I'd probably opt for Stanislaus. If it were coal, it would be Sclafani (without garlic or basil, just a healthy sprinkle of romano), and lastly, if it were Neapolitan, it would be Italian tomatoes.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 09:02:32 PM »
Scott,
I'm making NY pies tonight. Do you use fresh(non saute) garlic in your sauce...chopped, sliced?
Thanks!  :chef:

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »
I cleaned out every Wal-Mart in New Hanover County NC.

10 cans....
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 09:11:31 PM »

10 cans....
You're not going to Durham Co. are you Mmmph?  :'(

scott123

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »
Do you use fresh(non saute) garlic in your sauce...chopped, sliced?

Fresh garlic, pressed.  I use a very small amount- about 1/2 a small clove. Just enough to perfume the sauce with garlic, but not enough to overshadow the tomato.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »
Gotcha...thanks Scotty.  ;)

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 07:04:29 AM »

10 cans....

Nice score Mmmph, I only got a half dozen and the available options are dwindling, have be able to find a few more dented cans before I'm done. BTW, I'm a Sclafani fan also, these Classico's will see service as Sunday "gravy"!

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 08:05:59 AM »
Am I the only one that isn't blown away by the Classico's? They taste really nice straight out of the can, but after cooking I feel these qualities vanish.

I keep it simple for NY style... uncooked sauce on the skin, a pinch of oregano, maybe salt & sugar depending on the taste out of the can. I've also had some disappointment with my Sunday gravy.
Josh

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 04:49:54 PM »
@Scott123, although the only place I have seen Classico's in lately, when they first hit the market a local grocery chain, "Price Chopper" stocked them for a short time and then discontinued them. Competition for shelf space in the canned tomato aisle must be fierce! ;D

Offline redox

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
I scored the last 3 cans of Classico tomatoes at a local walmart today. I still can't find Polly-O cheese there though. I'd like to try some but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 01:56:31 PM »
I scored the last 3 cans of Classico tomatoes at a local walmart today. I still can't find Polly-O cheese there though. I'd like to try some but can't seem to find it anywhere.
Jay, you have Sorrento available, correct? That and polly-o at the retail level are pretty much the same IMO.  :chef:

Offline redox

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »
Jay, you have Sorrento available, correct? That and polly-o at the retail level are pretty much the same IMO.  :chef:
Bob,
According to their product locator nothing within 30 miles. Yikes! I'm living in a cheese desert.  :(
I wonder if Gordon Food Service has any decent mozz. I've never checked there. I get my soup base there and it's pretty good.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »
Bob,
According to their product locator nothing within 30 miles. Yikes! I'm living in a cheese desert.  :(
I wonder if Gordon Food Service has any decent mozz. I've never checked there. I get my soup base there and it's pretty good.
Heck yeah man; GFS is a gold mine for cheese!

I just came from Walterworld....all Classic'o still a buck a can but everything is gone except "Whole peeled"  DAMN!!  >:(