Author Topic: Classico crushed tomatoes on sale for $1 at Walmart!  (Read 9967 times)

Offline redox

Re: Classico crushed tomatoes on sale for $1 at Walmart!
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 05:54:51 PM »
Heck yeah man; GFS is a gold mine for cheese!

Yeah but does it have any good cheese?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »
Yeah but does it have any good cheese?
What part of Gold do you not get dude? The G in "GFS" stands for Golden man!  ;D

You jus start a thread....."Any good pizza cheese at GFS?" and you will come to know my bruddah.
And Jay, you may please feel free to send me a few complimentary lbs.- O-cheese as a show of appreciation for this tip.  :-D

Pizza Pal,
"Bob the Golden One"  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline redox

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 06:29:08 PM »
What part of Gold do you not get dude? The G in "GFS" stands for Golden man!  ;D

You jus start a thread....."Any good pizza cheese at GFS?" and you will come to know my bruddah.
And Jay, you may please feel free to send me a few complimentary lbs.- O-cheese as a show of appreciation for this tip.  :-D

Pizza Pal,
"Bob the Golden One"  8)

With what's happening to the price of gold, I thought that was a bad thing.  :-D
I thought I should ask a Q about cheese on the non-sauce/tomato thread. I don't want to get slapped around by the moderators.

Besides, I was hoping for specific recommendations.  :)

Online Jdcigar

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
They were still marked at full price on the shelf at the Walmart I went to so several cans available.  Rang up for $1 at the register!

Offline csafranek

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 08:33:37 PM »
They were still marked at full price on the shelf at the Walmart I went to so several cans available.  Rang up for $1 at the register!

Yes here too! I cleaned the shelf and bought 7 cans.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »
Their whole milk mozzarella is very good too.  It is not located at the main cheese place, it is a little further down.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 09:20:10 PM »
With what's happening to the price of gold, I thought that was a bad thing.  :-D
I thought I should ask a Q about cheese on the non-sauce/tomato thread. I don't want to get slapped around by the moderators.

Besides, I was hoping for specific recommendations.  :)
Is Golden; by george, Grande specific enough... ???

:P

Offline redox

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
Uh-oh, I forgot to tell you that I'm dense enough to stop neutrinos in their tracks. Now I get it.  :-[

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 09:58:07 PM »
Uh-oh, I forgot to tell you that I'm dense enough to stop neutrinos in their tracks. Now I get it.  :-[
silly goose.... ;D
Simply Red - If You Don't Know Me By Now

Offline Zing

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 12:14:37 AM »
Here on the east coast, Big Lots has also been selling the Classico tomato sauce for $1.00. The Wal-Mart Supercenter is out of all the Classico products. It almost sounds like when Kellogg's couldn't move enough Progresso canned tomato products on a national level, though they sold well in the Northeast. For years, all the local supermarket chains would sell Progresso at a loss leader price at the same time. The dates on the cans were pretty old. Big Lots also moved them along at $1.00 a can. Kellogg's finally dropped the line. Since one of my non-pizza recipes depended on their crushed tomatoes, I looked for a replacement. Turns out Muir Glen came pretty close, and they are made in the same plant where Progresso was made. Established this through codes on the cans. They have some bogus name on the Muir Glen cans, but all the profits wind up in the Battle Creek headquarters of Kellogg's.

IMHO, I think either Classico didn't sell well enough through Wal-mart, or Heinz can get more money for their tomatoes selling under a different name and possibly through a different retailer(s).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:57:54 AM by Zing »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 12:18:33 AM »

Heinz can get more money for their tomatoes selling under a different name and possibly through a different retailer(s).
That's what I've been saying...and close my eyes an wish it to come true.  :-\

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »
Has anyone tried to drain a can of the Classico whole tomatoes and run then through a food processor or hit them with a stick blended to see how they compare with the crushed tomatoes ? My Walmart has quite a few cans of the whole tomatoes left on the shelf, maybe I'll do a little experimenting and see what happens. In the past I have never had much luck with this procedure, the already canned crushed always taste better then the blended whole tomatoes.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 01:22:37 PM »
Has anyone tried to drain a can of the Classico whole tomatoes and run then through a food processor or hit them with a stick blended to see how they compare with the crushed tomatoes ? My Walmart has quite a few cans of the whole tomatoes left on the shelf, maybe I'll do a little experimenting and see what happens. In the past I have never had much luck with this procedure, the already canned crushed always taste better then the blended whole tomatoes.
I was thinking the same thing Dave cause my walmart is also now down to just the whole's. I left them there yesterday because I've only previously used them hand crused on DD pizza and did not like them. I'll probably try blending them today though and will report back.

Bob

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »
I just did it Bob, took a can of Classico whole tomatoes and strained them through a fine mesh wire strainer for several minutes. I got 2 full cups, 16 oz. of liquid, which may be the making of a bloody mary later today!. There was 12 oz. of tomatoes left, which I processed with the stick blender. The pulp tastes very good, perhaps I should open a can of crushed tomatoes to truly compare. Tonight I will season the pulp as a I do my usual crushed tomatoes and will try it on a pie. A severe difference in yield between a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes v. the same of whole tomatoes. I can usually sauce at least 4 pies with a 28 oz. can of crushed, this can of whole will barely sauce 2 pies. BUT, I will also enjoy that BM! ;)

Offline redox

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 02:04:37 PM »
BUT, I will also enjoy that BM! ;)
Yeah, I enjoy a good BM, too. What? oh...nevermind.  :-[

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2013, 02:22:50 PM »
BM redox, not BJ (unfortunately!) :'(

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 02:36:32 PM »
8)

Offline redox

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
If you had the brain of a 5th grader, like I do, you'd know I meant BM.  :-X

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »
If you had the brain of a 5th grader, like I do, you'd know I meant BM.  :-X
Bob knew!  >:D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
I made pizza tonight using the Classico whole tomatoes which I had drained well and then processed the tomatoes with a stick blender. Truthfully, just not as good as the Classico crushed or ground tomatoes. This is exactly what I have encountered in the past, when comparing a brands crushed tomatoes with whole tomatoes processed as stated, the whole tomatoes never taste as good.

pizzapan