Author Topic: garlic oil  (Read 2755 times)

Offline hendrixfan

• I Love Pizza!
garlic oil
« on: May 27, 2013, 04:43:55 PM »
Hi Guys I love Bruschetta does anyone have any idea how to make garlic oil. The shop bought ones don't taste the same. :drool:

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: garlic oil
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »
Bruschetta- Grill bread. Rub w raw garlic clove. Season w salt.

Garlic oil- I use 50/50 pure and extra virgin olive oil. For 1 cup I use 4 cloves of sliced garlic and don't get the oil over 125 or so.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline hendrixfan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:32:43 AM »
Thanks for the tips Jeff , my take on Bruschetta is Pizza base cooked for 2 minutes on the G Ferrafi Oven and pour Garlic oil over .

Offline dhorst

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:38:31 PM »
I usually start my garlic minced in cold olive oil with what ever other seasonings--usually there's some aleppo in there-- and just gradually warm it.  I don't want a lot of heat; I just want to infuse the oil with the flavor of the garlic and basically soften the garlic a bit in the oil.  Here's a pic with one of my classic combo's on some grilled or toasted homemade bread.  Tomatoes, basil, mozz, gorgonzola and parm tossed with some garlic olive oil and then drizzled with a bit more garlic oil.  Sometimes some roasted red peppers go into the mix.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 12:21:24 AM »
I usually start my garlic minced in cold olive oil with what ever other seasonings--usually there's some aleppo in there-- and just gradually warm it.  I don't want a lot of heat; I just want to infuse the oil with the flavor of the garlic and basically soften the garlic a bit in the oil.  Here's a pic with one of my classic combo's on some grilled or toasted homemade bread.  Tomatoes, basil, mozz, gorgonzola and parm tossed with some garlic olive oil and then drizzled with a bit more garlic oil.  Sometimes some roasted red peppers go into the mix.
   :drool:
A nice girl after Bob's heart.  :-[
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline kevinbrown22

• Pizza, not life or death much more important.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 12:35:57 AM »
If you make your own garlic oil you should use it within one week and store it in the refrigerator. It also helps to cook the garlic before use. There is a botulism risk if stored at room temperature for more then a day.
Science, better than making stuff up since well forever.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 12:39:13 AM »
   :drool:
A nice girl after Bob's heart.  :-[

Awwe, gee, just a crazy person who loves and I mean loves to cook.  I actually enjoy cooking for others more than eating.  I just like to graze along the way.  Hmm. I'm not much of a meat eater either; guess I must be a pasture type.  And no, you guys can't smoke or grill me.  I will gladly smoke some cheese for you, though!  I think I just would have to say give me greens, cheese, bread and wine or give me death.  Oh, and please don't let my sourdough cultures STB.
Kevin is right--don't store it at room temp.  I for one, use a lot of garlic oil, but I usually just make up a couple of batches a week and go right through them.  Hmm. says a bit about my eating habits.  Vampires, beware.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 12:59:57 AM »
Awwe, gee, just a crazy person who loves and I mean loves to cook.  I actually enjoy cooking for others more than eating.  I just like to graze along the way.  Hmm. I'm not much of a meat eater either; guess I must be a pasture type.  And no, you guys can't smoke or grill me.  I will gladly smoke some cheese for you, though!  I think I just would have to say give me greens, cheese, bread and wine or give me death.  Oh, and please don't let my sourdough cultures STB.
Kevin is right--don't store it at room temp.  I for one, use a lot of garlic oil, but I usually just make up a couple of batches a week and go right through them.  Hmm. says a bit about my eating habits.  Vampires, beware.
I'm the same way Miss D; I graze(and tidy up as I go :o)  along my merry singing Opera way of preparing good food to share with others. You know they say the cook is never interested in eating one of the plates/dishes they prepare because the smell alone(and taste/checking for proper seasoning)satisfies their sensory 'ceptions.

"I think I just would have to say give me greens, cheese, bread and wine or give me death."
  Wow! Dare Bob say that you must have a very pleasing physique?   ???
Pics or it didn't happen girl!  :-D
jk...not!!
Bob
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:02:27 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline dhorst

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 01:25:59 AM »
I'm the same way Miss D; I graze(and tidy up as I go :o)  along my merry singing Opera way of preparing good food to share with others. You know they say the cook is never interested in eating one of the plates/dishes they prepare because the smell alone(and taste/checking for proper seasoning)satisfies their sensory 'ceptions.

"I think I just would have to say give me greens, cheese, bread and wine or give me death."
  Wow! Dare Bob say that you must have a very pleasing physique?   ???
Pics or it didn't happen girl!  :-D
jk...not!!
Bob

Well, it's amazing what I can cook, that I actually do not eat, by my sense of smell alone.  A lot of that is through experience and asking others for their blunt and honest critiism.  I can smell salt in a dish to a pretty fine degree.  I also rely on my sense of smell to tell me when the hell to turn the oven back 50 degrees when I'm baking bread and didn't set a timer.

I always end up dropping weight when I work in a professional kitchen due to always prepping, tasting, smelling and plating.  Got get back out there again or else...

Physique?  Hey, I have a couple of teenage boys.  Do the math, youngster.  I'm no cougar and definitely not a hottie.  Just trying to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle and enjoy the world of food without letting the teenagers drive me insane!  Those darned boys are going to put me into the hole with their eating habits.  If you want to see pics of me, you can see them on SE Community corner or on 37 Cooks.  I'm really not interesting though.  Not meaning to come off hostile here.  Just, well, honest and me.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:47:23 AM by dhorst »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 01:49:06 AM »
Well, it's amazing what I can cook, that I actually do not eat, by my sense of smell alone.  A lot of that is through experience and asking others for their blunt and honest critiism.  I can smell salt in a dish to a pretty fine degree.  I also rely on my sense of smell to tell me when the hell to turn the oven back 50 degrees when I'm baking bread and didn't set a timer.

I always end up dropping weight when I work in a professional kitchen due to always prepping, tasting, smelling and plating.  Got get back out there again or else...

Physique?  Hey, I have a couple of teenage boys.  Do the math, youngster.  I'm no cougar and definitely not a hottie.  Just trying to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle and enjoy the world of food without letting the teenagers drive me insane!  Those darned boys are going to put me into the hole with their eating habits.  If you want to see pics of me, you can see them on SE Community corner or on 37 Cooks.  I'm really not interesting though.
Miss D,
Wow...it sounds like you may be a super sniffer...you know; like those super taster folks ya hear about? I am jealous and think that can only be an awesome tool to have in your bag of tricks/skills...to be able to smell salt in a freshly baked loaf of bread from 50 paces away...man...that should be an Olympic culinary sport or something just as important!

Cougar.... :-D  Meow!  Honey lemme me tell you...my GF has Grand Kids older than your boys!  ;D
I thought you already knew Bob is jus a big joker(but a good look'in one ;)) My age posted is a play on being "free,white, an 21"...thinking bout changing it to 18! Ha!

Any way, you are a good sport Diana and I enjoy your posts. You got it go'in on, as the teenagers used to say.  :)

Offline dhorst

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 02:12:10 AM »
Miss D,
Wow...it sounds like you may be a super sniffer...you know; like those super taster folks ya hear about? I am jealous and think that can only be an awesome tool to have in your bag of tricks/skills...to be able to smell salt in a freshly baked loaf of bread from 50 paces away...man...that should be an Olympic culinary sport or something just as important!

Cougar.... :-D  Meow!  Honey lemme me tell you...my GF has Grand Kids older than your boys!  ;D
I thought you already knew Bob is jus a big joker(but a good look'in one ;)) My age posted is a play on being "free,white, an 21"...thinking bout changing it to 18! Ha!

Any way, you are a good sport Diana and I enjoy your posts. You got it go'in on, as the teenagers used to say.  :)

Well, Bob, I kinda had a feeling that you were playin' it on the age.  Just how many dating sites are you on, btw? :D

The nose--well, my husband refers to it as my pregnant nose, because my sense of smell became so heightened when I was pregnant and then ever since then.  They say that it's a primative safety thing when some women are pregnant.  I don't think I look Cro Magnum, but.  I've also had some people I work with say that it's my super human power.  What would that super heroe's name be?  Too wierd.  Well, I do have a sense of smell from hell and it's for most part, the better.

Well, I should really head to bed.  Been nice chatting.  I'll have to send you some nice seasonings to play with!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 02:20:38 AM »

Yes, very nice chatting dear. FWIW, this is Bob's one and only, first time foray into the forums world.

Thanks for info on 37 cooks...lovely site.
I am now going to sleep an hope for dreams about SDS!  ;D

Have a great up coming week end girl..take care.  :chef:

Bob

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 10:00:10 AM »
PLEASE DO NOT hold any home made garlic oil over from one day to the next. Garlic can, and has been known to bring clostridium to the party as a guest (since clostridium is found in the soil is it any wonder why it is associated with garlic?). While we don't normally think of garlic and clostridium together, it is only because clostridium is an anaerobe (will only grow without oxygen) and the oil provides that environment, hence the clostridium can grow to produce the aflatoxin botulinum resulting in botulism poisoning. As an aflatoxin, it is not destroyed by heating...and it is very deadly. It will not grow all the time, but when it does, well...... As Dirty Harry so aptly put it "Do ya feel lucky?"
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline hendrixfan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 04:09:53 PM »
Thanks everyone for such an interesting post, for everyday use i will continue to use shop bought garlic oil ??? Interesting how much damage a bit of garlic can do. Thanks dhorst for the recepie looks very tasty.

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 04:36:43 PM »

Physique?  Hey, I have a couple of teenage boys.  Do the math, youngster.  I'm no cougar and definitely not a hottie.  Just trying to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle and enjoy the world of food without letting the teenagers drive me insane!  Those darned boys are going to put me into the hole with their eating habits.  If you want to see pics of me, you can see them on SE Community corner or on 37 Cooks.  I'm really not interesting though.  Not meaning to come off hostile here.  Just, well, honest and me.
You folks want us to leave?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 04:43:37 PM »
You folks want us to leave?
I know it's a free an open forum and all Tom but...well....ya know...  >:D

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 09:41:31 PM »
I know it's a free an open forum and all Tom but...well....ya know...  >:D
Just making a little light Bob, I know you have a sense of humor.

Tom

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 10:10:40 PM »
Just making a little light Bob, I know you have a sense of humor.

Tom
I know that friend...I was smiling right along with you.  ;)
Diana sure seems to be a really nice, fun person, eh?  Heck of a good cook too!  :chef:

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »
http://www.dishblogger.com/2012/11/27/in-our-community-corner-meet-diana-horst-aka-dhorst/

I would say Diana is every bit as fetching as the food she cooks and is way to modest :-D

And back to the garlic oil, yes, keep refrigerated as with most infused oils due to the contamination risk of botulism. Clostridium botulinum is one of the deadliest toxins there is and 1 teaspoon can kill over a billion people. This is of course in it's pure state but even in very minute amounts can be very deadly. Reading about this in my pathology and microbiology classes years ago with milk and home canning misfortunes really opened my eyes to how deadly it can be.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 11:07:01 PM »
http://www.dishblogger.com/2012/11/27/in-our-community-corner-meet-diana-horst-aka-dhorst/

I would say Diana is every bit as fetching as the food she cooks and is way to modest :-D

You'll never hear me argue that fact Jon....definitely a pizza babe.  8)

pizzapan