Author Topic: How long will dough keep in the fridge?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline ninya

How long will dough keep in the fridge?
« on: May 27, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Does anyone know how long uncooked dough can be kept in the fridge before it would go mouldy or something?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How long will dough keep in the fridge?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »
ninya,

According to the North Dakota State University, up to a month: Reply 4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3980.msg33233/topicseen.html#msg33233 .

I have gone over 20 days and others have gone further than that. However, the actual longevity of a given cold fermented dough will depend on the dough formulation itself, and especially the amount of yeast and the finished dough temperature and fermentation temperature. Most professionals who use cold fermented dough tend to use 1-3 days.

Peter

Offline ninya

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 08:38:31 PM »
Thanks Pete. I have put the dough inside freezer bags in the freezer now. How long will it keep in the freezer - I am guessing quite some time?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »
Thanks Pete. I have put the dough inside freezer bags in the freezer now. How long will it keep in the freezer - I am guessing quite some time?

ninya,

Long-term freezing of dough, especially in a freezer compartment of a refrigerator that has a cycling defrost function, is not particularly good for dough. However, even in such an environment, you should be able to get 10-15 days out of the dough. The performance of the dough will also depend on the amount of yeast used in making the dough and also whether the dough was frozen before fermentation or after a period of fermentation.

By any chance, are you the ninya who was on the forum a few years ago, starting around 2007?

Peter

Offline ninya

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:53:35 PM »
Thanks Pete. I did not realise that freezing wasnt a good option. Good to know. I have had good results from dough that has been frozen though.

I will keep it in the fridge from now on, I guess I just assumed that it might go mouldy in the fridge and didnt want to risk it.

Yes, I am the same Ninya. I re-read my posts yesterday to see when it was I first started in here - yes 2007. I could not make a pizza then, and it was only from your help, and others on this forum that I learned. I used the term "mastered it" in here the other day - not because I'm an expert now - far from it. I still make a bad pizza, and still have a lot to learn, of course I do. But believe me, my pizza's now are quite good - at least they are what I want and I have learned so much from where I was back in 2007. Thanks to this forum I can make a pretty decent pizza now - by my standards I say I've "mastered" it - that is to say that I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing these days. I need to get a new camera so I can start taking some pictures to post up.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 12:24:37 AM »
While I have gotten okay results with dough that was in the fridge for 10-12 days, I have generally found that my best results come from a 4-5 day old dough for both bread dough and pizza dough.  The flavor is superior and the blistering is wonderful.  The dough becomes more delicate after 5 days, in my opinion.  This has generally been the case though with a dough made with bread flour and ADY. 
It's been a while since I've had a dough in the fridge made with a sourdough culture for more than 2 days.  I'm not one for freezing dough, in general, because it does seem to deteriorate, but that might also be due to the freakin' teenage boys who are always in and out of the freezer which contributes to freezer burn. 
Honestly, I would rather bake off a round of dough and freeze the shell for my sons to make a "snack" out of (think english muffin/french bread pizza), rather than freeze excess raw dough.  But then I do have a couple of teenage boys who are bottomless pits and this would mean convenience food that's almost as easy for them to make as quesadillas.

Offline ninya

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 01:10:51 AM »
 :) Thanks for your input Dhorst. I will try to make a dough around 4 days ahead of when I want it next time.

Offline SlideSF

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 04:49:58 PM »
When my dough starts to go a little "flat" from too much time in the refrigerator, I use it for a Chicago style pizza.  Slather a spring-form or other straight-sided pan with butter and press the dough in making high sides.  Cheese right on top of the dough, then "toppings", and pizza sauce to cover and fill.  The butter gives the crust a nice crispy outside with great flavor.  The dough will puff up a little, but not too much.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 05:26:39 PM »
Similar to @SlideSF's advice, an old dough can be great for special kinds/styles of pizza where you want  a dough without as much rise as normal, but still loaded with flavor. "Bar" or "Tavern" style pizzas come to mind.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 08:56:05 PM »
Yes, it is good for NY or American for a week or so, after that I use it for Detroit or mainly for rolled out thin bar pies to 20+ days.

pizzapan