Author Topic: Instant Dry Yeast isn't great on refrigerated dough?  (Read 515 times)

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
Instant Dry Yeast isn't great on refrigerated dough?
« on: June 10, 2014, 03:18:22 PM »
I read on the Red Star website that Instant Dry Yeast isn't great for refrigerated dough.  Yet many recipes I see use it that way for 2-5 day rises in the refrigerator.

Red Star says, "Instant Yeast, also known as "fast-rising" or "fast-acting" dry yeast, can shorten the rising time in traditional baking by as much as 50%. Instant Yeast is not recommended for use in refrigerated or frozen dough baking methods."

Hmmm - anyone have any bad experiences with using IDY in their refrigerated doughs?  Seems very common in the pizza recipes I see here.

Also - Is there a rule of thumb as to how much IDY to use in a recipe in terms of % for NY and/or Neapolitan pizza dough?  Would .5% be too much?   i.e.  3g for 650g of King Arthur All Purpose flour and a NY pizza style?

Thank you,
Jeff
Jeff

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Instant Dry Yeast isn't great on refrigerated dough?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »
Jeff,

This is a matter that I looked into a few years ago. For details, see Reply 13 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10707.msg95811;topicseen#msg95811.

As for the amount of IDY to use, that would depend on the particular dough formulation, the nature of the fermentation (e.g., at room temperature, in the refrigerator, or possibly a combination of both), and the desired duration of the fermentation. The temperatures at all stages of the process will also dictate the proper amount of yeast to use.

Peter