Author Topic: Trader Joe's Dough  (Read 4594 times)

Online CaptBob

Re: Trader Joe's Dough
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 08:35:29 PM »
Jeez ....those are some beautiful pies In this thread. And I can't quit chuckling about Chicago Bob's comment about these store made doughs being a drunk guy's...errr ....lazy man's crust....because many of my attempts are directly influenced by ever changing infusions of rum....so having said that I humbly present my pie made from TJ's whole wheat dough and topped with chicken, artichoke hearts, bacon, red onion, on top of a white garlic sauce. Topped with fresh chives. Was cooked in a cast iron skillet at 450 degrees in my kitchen oven.

Thanks for letting me hang with you guys!

Bob
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:38:25 PM by CaptBob »

Offline Chi_Guy

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Nice pics guys...Trader Joe's might want to consider using some of these to market their dough.   :)

Back when I started out making pizzas Trader Joe's dough was all I ever used.  Getting the dough right is one of the most difficult aspects of pizza and can be especially daunting for a beginner.  TJ's is a perfectly good dough to start out with to practice your baking skills before moving on to homemade dough.  While I take pride in making my own dough these days, I'll still use TJ's in a pinch as I did a couple of days ago.

Be aware that they seem to have changed their dough formula recently.  I checked the list of ingredients on my dough ball and was surprised to see the addition of oil, sugar, and dough conditioner.  Normally I steer away from anything containing the latter but I have to admit the taste and texture of the crust on the pie was pretty damn good.  Pics are below.  This was a 14" pie I baked using a combination of screen and stone for about 8 minutes at 550 F.  Topped with sauce, baby spinach, mozzarella, feta, and balsamic marinated tomatoes.

Online CaptBob

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 06:40:28 PM »
Those look delicious! Great job!

Offline mp233069

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
I've tried all three of the TJ dough. The wheat dough tends to dry out on me. I really like the dough with the spices mixed in.
Mario

Offline oknewell

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »
Was lazy to make some dough so went to good old Trader Joe's and bought 2 bags of plain dough. It was much better than I had previously. Much lighter, stretched better, and even tasted better.  I divided each dough ball into 2 pieces for a total of about 240 grams each.  Here are the results for 3 of the pizzas.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2014, 12:22:18 AM »
You must have caught it at a pretty good point fermenation-wise. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2014, 10:13:26 AM »
You must have caught it at a pretty good point fermenation-wise.
^^^  It's hit or miss at TJ's.

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan