Author Topic: Trader Joe's Dough  (Read 5568 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Trader Joe's Dough
« on: May 27, 2013, 09:04:47 PM »
Has anyone made a pie from Trader Joe's 16oz pizza dough ball? Found it in the refer section next to their mozz. (not frozen)package says dough conditioners.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:19:32 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Trader Joe's Dough
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »
Anyone?

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 05:45:45 PM »
I have.  Unless they've changed it in the last couple of years, it was okay.  Very loose and easy to handle.  Browned fine.  Not outstanding in the flavor department, but it does in a pinch.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »
Not too bad at all if you have nothing else on hand. Tried both the regular and whole wheat. Actually, making pizzas with it a while back was so much fun, it led me to this site and now I'm deep, deep within the "pizza" rabbit hole. Currently working on my Hasty-Bake grill wood-fired Neapolitan pizza oven project. Not too long now. Just a stepping stone towards full acceptance from the significant other for a true WFO. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:50:27 PM »
Trader Joe's sells pre made pizza dough, ??? :o , I am shocked. And I shop there at least 2x a week. I buy their Mozz, they must have hid the dough balls to protect my sensibilities. :-D

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 10:35:53 PM »
Has anyone made a pie from Trader Joe's 16oz pizza dough ball? Found it in the refer section next to their mozz. (not frozen)package says dough conditioners.

Bob,

For NP it was "not good at all". For other uses, I am not sure.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 10:58:33 PM »
Thanks guys.  8)
I had one dough ball from my Sunday shopping and used it last night. Along with Norma; I too have tried many different ready made dough balls...both frozen and "fresh" from your grocers refrigerator case(I like saying those last 6 words :)).
Anyway, this TJ thing was by far the most cooperative one of them all so far. Opened like I was a pizza twirling champ. Unfortunately it was about half blown though and the rise/spring of this one was disappointing to say the least. Accordingly, it was sugar full and wanted to burn. But there was some flava in there and I definetly think I will try again. Now I realize the importance of how to properly pick an choose which to buy at my local store....they are all kinda hap hazardedly bunched together in varios stages of fermentation....right there in my grocers refrigerator case.  ;D

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 09:13:16 AM »
Bob,

Good to hear about your experiment with your fresh Trader Joe's dough ball.  Did the Trader Joey's dough ball have a use by date?  Do you have a photo, or know what ingredients were in the dough ball?  As you already know I have played around with frozen premade dough balls and am always interested in knowing how the final pizzas turn out.  How did you bake the pizza?  Was it on a stone or some other way.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 11:32:58 AM »
Bob,

Good to hear about your experiment with your fresh Trader Joe's dough ball.  Did the Trader Joey's dough ball have a use by date?  Do you have a photo, or know what ingredients were in the dough ball?  As you already know I have played around with frozen premade dough balls and am always interested in knowing how the final pizzas turn out.  How did you bake the pizza?  Was it on a stone or some other way.

Norma
Norma,
I cooked that TJ dough up as a NY style pizza on a stone...I think you would find it interesting. It was the first time I baked a dough that; even at a fairly low temp, wanted to char real easily. Like some of the pics I see here sometimes of a NY pie that looks almost burnt(to me) but you'll see a bunch of the veterans here really come out to compliment the person who posted that charred pizza. I made 2 pies and had to cool the oven a bit to slow things down for the second pizza.

I didn't document or have any of the information you have asked about, unfortunately. But I'll get more dough balls this weekend and have the info for you probably this Sunday evening, no problemo.  :chef:

Bob
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:35:16 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »
Norma,
I cooked that TJ dough up as a NY style pizza on a stone...I think you would find it interesting. It was the first time I baked a dough that; even at a fairly low temp, wanted to char real easily. Like some of the pics I see here sometimes of a NY pie that looks almost burnt(to me) but you'll see a bunch of the veterans here really come out to compliment the person who posted that charred pizza. I made 2 pies and had to cool the oven a bit to slow things down for the second pizza.

I didn't document or have any of the information you have asked about, unfortunately. But I'll get more dough balls this weekend and have the info for you probably this Sunday evening, no problemo.  :chef:

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for telling me how you baked the Trader Joe's dough.  I wonder why it really wanted to char easily.  I find that interesting.  8) Will be interested in your next experiments with the Trader Joe's dough balls.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 12:57:54 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for telling me how you baked the Trader Joe's dough.  I wonder why it really wanted to char easily.  I find that interesting.  8) Will be interested in your next experiments with the Trader Joe's dough balls.

Norma
I don't know Norma; like I stated , I think it was a blown or nearly blown dough and if my learning from here is correct that would mean much more sugar has developed..or do I have that backwards?

I think the way they get tossed and moved around at TJ's these "fresh" dough balls go through a lot of warm ups(rises)and then deflated and then that cycle gets repeated who knows how many times.

I was thinking that these are probably kept frozen in the back somewhere so this weekend I'm going to ask if I can buy some frozen ones and that way I can give them just 1 good warm up on my counter after thawing them in the frig..  :chef:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:59:51 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 01:49:58 PM »
I don't know Norma; like I stated , I think it was a blown or nearly blown dough and if my learning from here is correct that would mean much more sugar has developed..or do I have that backwards?

I think the way they get tossed and moved around at TJ's these "fresh" dough balls go through a lot of warm ups(rises)and then deflated and then that cycle gets repeated who knows how many times.

I was thinking that these are probably kept frozen in the back somewhere so this weekend I'm going to ask if I can buy some frozen ones and that way I can give them just 1 good warm up on my counter after thawing them in the frig..  :chef:

Bob,

I really don't know if a dough is blown or nearly blown if that would mean that would be more sugar in the dough.  You have to remember that I sure can't recall everything that is posted here on the forum about dough at my old age.  :-D  What I usually found though, is when doughs balls are fermented for a long while, is then the rim of the crust usually gets lighter during the bake. 

Maybe you can ask about the TJ's dough balls and how they are when they get them delivered.  If they are really fresh then pick the ones that have the farthest use by date.  If they are really frozen before they put them out for sale, then get frozen ones.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 01:53:52 PM »
Bob,

I really don't know if a dough is blown or nearly blown if that would mean that would be more sugar in the dough.  You have to remember that I sure can't recall everything that is posted here on the forum about dough at my old age.  :-D  What I usually found though, is when doughs balls are fermented for a long while, is then the rim of the crust usually gets lighter during the bake. 

Maybe you can ask about the TJ's dough balls and how they are when they get them delivered.  If they are really fresh then pick the ones that have the farthest use by date.  If they are really frozen before they put them out for sale, then get frozen ones.

Norma
10-fo good buddy!  :chef:

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
My experience with TJ dough was I couldn't stretch it at all.  It very rubber-like in that respect.  The package says to let it warm up for 20-minutes.  Maybe I would have had better luck if I gave it a couple of hours.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »
My experience with TJ dough was I couldn't stretch it at all.  It very rubber-like in that respect.  The package says to let it warm up for 20-minutes.  Maybe I would have had better luck if I gave it a couple of hours.
j,
I'm inclined to believe it depends on how your particular store handles the storing of these dough balls.
My experience was the opposite of yours...dough was overly extensible and required a reball. After a counter rest it was darn near perfect; opening wise.  :chef:
Yes, yours would have relaxed if left for an hour or 2 on counter(at least it's supposed to ;)).

Bob

Offline oknewell

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »
^^^ Even when I let it warm up for 3 hours it was still very elastic and wouldn't stretch well.  That being said, when you're in a hurry or need a little extra, it will work. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »
^^^ Even when I let it warm up for 3 hours it was still very elastic and wouldn't stretch well.  That being said, when you're in a hurry or need a little extra, it will work.
okn,
If you baked your TJ dough NY pizza style...did you get/notice any good oven spring or was your rim/cornicione small and relatively flat?
Thanks!  :chef:

Offline Chile

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 07:38:30 PM »
I do not get it.  This is a pizza making place and people are buying ready made dough.  Oh god save my soul. 

I thought a better discussion might be on which flour to use. 

making dough is so incredible simple and low cost and you know what got into it.    like the purity of the water,  the yeast etc.  why in god's name would anyone buy pixxa  dough is beyond me. 

go ahead you can try to explain if you want.  but next posting I want to read about people who make real pizza. 

you can buy good Italian pizza flour on Ebay if you are interested in good pizza. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 07:56:16 PM »
I do not get it.  This is a pizza making place and people are buying ready made dough.  Oh god save my soul. 

I thought a better discussion might be on which flour to use. 

making dough is so incredible simple and low cost and you know what got into it.    like the purity of the water,  the yeast etc.  why in god's name would anyone buy pixxa  dough is beyond me. 

go ahead you can try to explain if you want.  but next posting I want to read about people who make real pizza. 

you can buy good Italian pizza flour on Ebay if you are interested in good pizza.
Jus turn the page dude...I'm sure you'll find something there to run your mouth off about that you also have no clue as to know why...   ::)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 08:38:42 PM »
Chile,

I personally don't get uptight about anyone using refrigerated or frozen pizza doughs, including those from Trader Joe's, Pepe's, regular supermarkets, specialty markets, etc. Some members start their pizza making careers with such commercial doughs and gradually learn to make their own doughs, and some purchase commercial doughs for convenience in making last minute pizzas. We have a small number of members who only use frozen dough balls but they are few and far between. That doesn't bother me. That is their prerogative. I don't even care if they buy frozen pizzas.

Having looked at a lot of frozen and refrigerated dough balls in my time, I found that a common problem is that it is hard to tell where they are in their fermentation cycles. It actually takes a fair amount of pizza making knowledge to know how to optimize the results when using frozen and refrigerated pizza dough, and especially the refrigerated variety. It also doesn't help that there are so many different refrigerated/frozen dough formulations. I can pretty much tell what to do by reading the ingredients lists and Nutrition Facts but that has only come from years of researching such information.

Peter