Author Topic: Trader Joe's Dough  (Read 4956 times)

Offline oknewell

Re: Trader Joe's Dough
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »
okn,
If you baked your TJ dough NY pizza style...did you get/notice any good oven spring or was your rim/cornicione small and relatively flat?
Thanks!  :chef:

I got decent oven spring.  Not as good as my dough, but it wasn't bad.  Flavor isn't bad, not great, but not bad by any means.  Like I said before, if you need a little extra dough, or you are in a hurry then it will suffice.  At my local TJ they sell plain, whole wheat, and herb/garlic or something like that.  I buy plain, however, I have tried the other two some years ago and didn't care too much for them. 

Offline dhorst

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Interesting.  Maybe once or twice a year I'll pick up Wegmans pizza dough if I'm in a pinch and the family is clamoring for pizza.  I find that it bakes up a bit too cardboardy for my taste.  The flavor isn't there and it's really tough.  I always look for the ones that have proofed quite a bit and even then after being at room temperature for a few hours they don't open up nicely.  Never had the TJ dough.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
I got decent oven spring.  Not as good as my dough, but it wasn't bad.  Flavor isn't bad, not great, but not bad by any means.  Like I said before, if you need a little extra dough, or you are in a hurry then it will suffice.  At my local TJ they sell plain, whole wheat, and herb/garlic or something like that.  I buy plain, however, I have tried the other two some years ago and didn't care too much for them.
Thanks okn; I thought the taste was OK too. Jusst need to choose a fresher one next time I think.
I make a NY style maybe once a month and for some reason I can never plan ahead a day or 3 for making a quality dough myself. Also, I don't have the right oven either...but that is changing very soon.  ;) These different store doughs have been fun to play around with though and gives me much needed practice in opening this type in preparation with what is coming next for me.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline taleksun

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 08:29:59 PM »
Hi Chicago Bob, I have been using TJs pizza dough for a long time.  When I buy it I look for the oldest date and bring it to room temp 3 to 4 hours before making my pizza.

I also split the dough in half and put in a bowl with EVOO during the 3 to 4 hours. I will start to making my own dough with the information from this site.

Here are some pizza's I made last week with TJs dough.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »
Hi Chicago Bob, I have been using TJs pizza dough for a long time.  When I buy it I look for the oldest date and bring it to room temp 3 to 4 hours before making my pizza.

I also split the dough in half and put in a bowl with EVOO during the 3 to 4 hours. I will start to making my own dough with the information from this site.

Here are some pizza's I made last week with TJs dough.
Thanks Tom...very nice looking pizza pie right there friend!  :drool:

Offline SolidSurfer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 12:16:58 AM »
I tried the TJ dough tonight...and I really liked it. It browned up good, tasted good, chewy, and easy to stretch.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 12:33:20 PM »
I tried the TJ dough tonight...and I really liked it. It browned up good, tasted good, chewy, and easy to stretch.
Good for you Jesse!  :chef:
Did you take a pic by any chance? Was this baked on a stone and did you get any rise/oven spring on this crust? 

Bob

Offline SolidSurfer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 12:22:54 AM »
On a stone, my oven goes to 550. Good oven spring, but no pics. The dough was tasty, even my cold leftovers were good the next day.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2013, 12:27:39 AM »
On a stone, my oven goes to 550. Good oven spring, but no pics. The dough was tasty, even my cold leftovers were good the next day.
That all sounds promising Jess...thanks for reporting back here friend.  :chef:

Bob

Offline taleksun

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
Hi Chicago Bob, pictures of Friday's night cook off using TJs pizza dough.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 07:20:41 PM »
Hi Chicago Bob, pictures of Friday's night cook off using TJs pizza dough.
Boy, that pizza looks really great Tom...very nice job there.  :chef:
The TJ dough likes to brown real good; especially on the bottom doesn't it.
Have you used the TJ dough balls before Tom?

Offline Tory

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 01:10:11 PM »
I've been tempted to buy it, but the stuff just seems too hydrated for me. Due to arthritis in my hands, kneading a dough that is too wet is just not an option. And their dough seems so wet that you'd have to knead it for several minutes just to work with it. No thanks!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 04:07:37 PM »
I've been tempted to buy it, but the stuff just seems too hydrated for me. Due to arthritis in my hands, kneading a dough that is too wet is just not an option. And their dough seems so wet that you'd have to knead it for several minutes just to work with it. No thanks!!
I've used this dough a couple different ways.....lots of bench flour to hand press it out some and then rolled it. Yes, I did just say that.  :o Roll it and then knuckle stretch it a little bit. 
I like to test out these store doughs just as a sort of drunk guy; er, I mean lazy man's pizza dough. I use 'em and abuse 'em and am proud of it!  ;D

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »
The nutrition label indicates that the protein content is about 10%, so they're just using all purpose flour.  It would be better if it were made with bread or high-gluten flour.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 04:32:31 PM »
The nutrition label indicates that the protein content is about 10%, so they're just using all purpose flour.  It would be better if it were made with bread or high-gluten flour.
You sure got dat right!  :chef:

Offline oknewell

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »
Did a Complete Trader Joe's Pizza.  Dough, sauce, cheese, and basil.  Here's the work flow:

1) 0930 pulled the dough from the fridge, divide the package into two balls. Lit the fire.
2) Fire was hot and oven was ready to go around 1100.  Floor in the ~700 - 750, dome was hot
3) 1110 Formed the pizza.  Dough ball was about 245g and I made an 11" pizza
4) Topped with TJ Marinara Sauce, TJ Mozzarella, and some basil from a plant I bought there.
5) Cook time was about 80 sec

Comments:  Dough was a bit cool when I started at 1110. It had in internal temperature of 68 F while room temperature is about 77 F. It had a bit of a heavy feel and was somewhat elastic, but not too bad.  Lower hydration level than I normally use.  Furthermore, there is some oil mixed into the dough, so it has different feel.  The dough does not feel delicate.

Taste:  Taste overall good.  Marinara sauce is sweeter then my normal san marzanos sauce that I make, but not bad.  Cheese, was pre sliced and I liked it. It Melted nice, tasted good, did not require a draining, and was easy to work with.

Offline oknewell

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 04:42:03 PM »
Continued:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »
Booyah!!   :drool:  Trader Joe would be proud of you..I know I sure am.  :chef:
Naysayers take note...okn knows how to get the job done!  Faar-out pizza man; thanks for posting the whole show.  8)

Offline taleksun

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »
I been using this dough for years.

But I have to say OKN did the best I have ever seen, great job.

OKN you may want to check the cold case next to the dough for the fresh TJ's sauce.

Here are some of my last Friday night bake.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 08:24:29 PM »
I been using this dough for years.

But I have to say OKN did the best I have ever seen, great job.

OKN you may want to check the cold case next to the dough for the fresh TJ's sauce.

Here are some of my last Friday night bake.
That's a killer look'in pizza too Tom...wonderful job on that man!  :chef:

pizzapan