Author Topic: Yeast % for 2 day cold ferment?  (Read 528 times)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
Yeast % for 2 day cold ferment?
« on: September 05, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »
We're having a Blackstone pizza party Saturday. A few more guests have been added to the list and I need a few more doughballs. I made 8 doughballs on Tuesday and used .3 % ADY. I checked the Lehman's dough recipe here, http://www.pizzamaking.com/lehmann_nystyle.php , to get an idea how much that should be bumped up for a 2 day dough and it lists the yeast as Compressed Yeast. I've never run across that term. Is there a conversion to ADY?

Thanks,
jb

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Yeast % for 2 day cold ferment?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:57:37 AM »
Compressed yeast and cake yeast (CY) are the same thing.

Here is a conversion table:  http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:04:52 AM »
For 2 days in the fridge I've been happy with 0.09% IDY, which (for me) translates to 1/8tsp per 720gram doughball size.

You don't see much action until the morning of day 2, but then by the end of the day I can pull it 2-3 hours before and still be just slightly under-proofed to perfect.

For ADY you'll need to bump it up a bit. I used to use ADY but find a little more consistency & predictability with IDY.
Josh

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »
Thanks for the term clarification and the conversion table, Craig. According to that table the amount of Cake yeast is more than double the amount of ADY. Lehman is using up to 0.75 Cake, so by my SOTP, 0.3 would be about equivalent, the same as I've already used for the 4 day CF.

JD, you're suggestion sounds rather high as based on the table and my SOTP that would be around 1.1%, though probably fine I think I'll go with .7 % and split the difference.

I realize it's all about experimenting and experience. Hopefully it will produce some pies worth posting.

Thank you both.
jb

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:27:24 AM »
Both JD's 0.09% IDY/48H/Fridge and the Lehmann 0.75%CY/12H/Fridge (considering it starts at 85F) are generally in line with my model predictions: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.0.html

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:30:00 AM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:28:07 AM »
Thanks for the term clarification and the conversion table, Craig. According to that table the amount of Cake yeast is more than double the amount of ADY. Lehman is using up to 0.75 Cake, so by my SOTP, 0.3 would be about equivalent, the same as I've already used for the 4 day CF.

JD, you're suggestion sounds rather high as based on the table and my SOTP that would be around 1.1%, though probably fine I think I'll go with .7 % and split the difference.

I realize it's all about experimenting and experience. Hopefully it will produce some pies worth posting.

Thank you both.
jb

0.09%, not 0.9%  :D
Josh

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »
Uh oh. 0.9 0.09?  :o . If I'm reading Craig's chart correctly I have been adding WAY too much yeast for a 4 day cold ferment. This last batch was .3. that equates to 4.2 grams of ADY for 1400 grams of flour. According to Craig's chart I should have used 0.084 for 96 hours at 39 degrees. This comes out to be 1.17 grams of ADY.

I will admit to being number challenged and sleep deprived, but am I getting this right?

Thanks,
jb

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 12:54:42 PM »
Uh oh. 0.9 0.09?  :o . If I'm reading Craig's chart correctly I have been adding WAY too much yeast for a 4 day cold ferment. This last batch was .3. that equates to 4.2 grams of ADY for 1400 grams of flour. According to Craig's chart I should have used 0.084 for 96 hours at 39 degrees. This comes out to be 1.17 grams of ADY.

I will admit to being number challenged and sleep deprived, but am I getting this right?

Thanks,
jb

Don't go by the chart for long cold ferments just yet. I'm working on that right now and hope to have the next revision posted soon.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 12:56:07 PM »
You are reading the chart right though.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 02:20:49 PM »

Don't go by the chart for long cold ferments just yet. I'm working on that right now and hope to have the next revision posted soon.

You are reading the chart right though.

Both things are good to know. I have used this formulation in the past with good results. Now that I have a better understanding of the yeast amounts, I plan to go with something around .16 for the extra dough balls. Will be interesting to see the difference.

pizzapan