Author Topic: Cleaning the pizza stone  (Read 2444 times)

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
Re: Cleaning the pizza stone
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »
Hey jb,  are you still trying to clean this damn stone man? !!   >:D

Been scrubbing all weekend. I figure by next weekend it will be clean.  ;D Just kidding. I haven't had time to try any of the suggestions, but it's on the to do list.

jb

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »
Just flip it over and use the clean side.  ;D  That should do it until you dump another pizza.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 04:42:40 PM »
Been scrubbing all weekend. I figure by next weekend it will be clean.  ;D Just kidding. I haven't had time to try any of the suggestions, but it's on the to do list.

jb
OK man; not try'in to put you in a rush or anything like that.  :)
Chase you some Bon Ami or Bartenders Friend stuff after it...better yet; you got access to a sand blaster?  :-D
Jus make sure ya rinse the grit off of that expensive stone!!  ::)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 04:44:47 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 12:27:12 PM »
A lady on youtube suggested a paste made from baking soda. Haven't tried it myself.

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Have you tried the cleaning cycle?

Not that I am advising it. I say that because I have had to replace the baking element in my electric oven 3 times over the last 11 years or so. The last 2 times it lasted about 2 years each time. This is after I started in my bread and pizza baking endeavors. Even though it only costs me less than $20 total to replace it, I decided to see if not using the cleaning cycle will improve the life. I have read that the cleaning cycle decreases oven life span. Don't want to spread any misinformation though, that's just me.

Luckily, I have not had any major disasters on my cordierite stone. It is a little stained, but seems like just the routine scraping with the bench scraper, and wiping down is enough to keep it from giving off any "off flavors". That, along with the long and high temperature preheats and bakes involved with pizza and bread making.
Dwight

Offline redox

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »
Have you tried the cleaning cycle?

Not that I am advising it. I say that because I have had to replace the baking element in my electric oven 3 times over the last 11 years or so. The last 2 times it lasted about 2 years each time. This is after I started in my bread and pizza baking endeavors. Even though it only costs me less than $20 total to replace it, I decided to see if not using the cleaning cycle will improve the life. I have read that the cleaning cycle decreases oven life span. Don't want to spread any misinformation though, that's just me.

Luckily, I have not had any major disasters on my cordierite stone. It is a little stained, but seems like just the routine scraping with the bench scraper, and wiping down is enough to keep it from giving off any "off flavors". That, along with the long and high temperature preheats and bakes involved with pizza and bread making.
It's very likely that your last two elements were made in China and that your original one was not. The same problem occurs with water heater elements, toasters, slow cookers, virtually anything with a heating element. They are either made incompetently or designed to fail after the warranty period to force a repurchase. Take your pick. 

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
It's very likely that your last two elements were made in China and that your original one was not. The same problem occurs with water heater elements, toasters, slow cookers, virtually anything with a heating element. They are either made incompetently or designed to fail after the warranty period to force a repurchase. Take your pick.

Well, it's approaching 2 years since the last replacement(Nov.), so I guess I'll see.

And again, I don't think it's too hard to believe that the ultra high temps involved with self cleaning could hasten burnouts.
Dwight

Offline redox

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 06:26:01 PM »
Well, it's approaching 2 years since the last replacement(Nov.), so I guess I'll see.

And again, I don't think it's too hard to believe that the ultra high temps involved with self cleaning could hasten burnouts.
I hate to admit how old my electric range is (1969) but I keep it because it works so well. I can get the oven up to 600 and the heat is pretty balanced. The baking elements and range top elements are all original. I use the self cleaning cycle whenever it gets dirty and for cleaning my baking stones or stripping off damaged seasoning from a cast iron pan. (I realized I've just doomed myself and the baking element will burn out within a month, to teach me some sort of cosmic lesson.)  :(

Offline Davydd

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 06:38:38 PM »
:) Not if the California Pizza Stone people can be believed.

http://www.californiapizzastones.com/pizza/files/pizza-stones-That-Do-Not-Thermal-Shock.php

jb

That's one kind of stone and evidently they think it can be soaked in water. Most stones can't. I'd recommend never use water, not even to wipe it off as it is an invitation for cracking. Unless you know it is their kind of stone I would not chance it.

I scrape my stone with a steel putty knife and wipe it down afterwards with a dry cloth. When it gets really grundgy I just leave it in the oven and run the cleaning cycle.
Davydd

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 12:02:09 AM »
Place in BS grill.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 02:25:53 PM »
That's one kind of stone and evidently they think it can be soaked in water. Most stones can't. I'd recommend never use water, not even to wipe it off as it is an invitation for cracking. Unless you know it is their kind of stone I would not chance it.

I scrape my stone with a steel putty knife and wipe it down afterwards with a dry cloth. When it gets really grundgy I just leave it in the oven and run the cleaning cycle.

True this only applies to the Mullite shelves sold by California Pizza Stones.

I ended up cleaning it with a green scrubby and water. With the stone that came with the Blackstone I don't think I'd want to clean it with water right before firing it up, but I have used water to clean it and then fired it up several days later and so far no cracking.

Chicago Bob, I'm not sure the temps in the BS will clean the stone. It certainly hasn't put a dent in the big, black smudge I put into my by burning a pile of cheese, sausage, sauce and dough. :(

jb

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 02:50:12 PM »
 burning  a wood log under the stone would do the job.
Bert,

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
burning  a wood log under the stone would do the job.

I put my stone in the BS blackened side down and ran the BS at 800 for over 30 mins. What temps and times do people think are required to clean a stone? By clean I mean the removal of all black. I've scrubbed the residue off and the stone and it's smooth to the touch, but the area that was crusted with burnt pizza is still black.

jb

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 03:31:44 PM »
Notice how clean the back of the bottom stone is where it was exposed to the flame. I had black spots all over
Bert,

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 03:40:47 PM »
Very interesting Bert. I see that everywhere else it's black. Could you rotate the stone to get it clean all over or does the stone area getting indirect flame turn black? Might be worth an experiment when I get home.

jb

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 04:31:47 PM »
I observed this after the fact. I was testing MPO with charcoal, when I didn't get the temp above 600 f, I added a small piece of wood, which raised temp to high 800s. Bottom stone temp reach mid 800 at one end and low 700 at one end.
Bert,