Author Topic: An Idea  (Read 7177 times)

Mal

Re: An Idea
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2013, 04:40:24 PM »
This seems to be a popular complaint over the last year or so:- "the problem with new members".

Let's say 100 new members join in a month and only 95 of them continue past their first post. Where is the problem? On the other hand if all 100 stayed and were frequent posters, with this continuing to build month on month, then I pretty sure there would be bandwidth issues before long.

If a person asks a question and then never shows up again, again I'm not sure I understand what the problem is?

There is clearly a dedicated group of frequent posters who view this forum as more than a one-off Q&A session. It would seem they are the most   unhappy with the situation with new members.. I'm just not sure I understand why.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »
This seems to be a popular complaint over the last year or so:- "the problem with new members".

Let's say 100 new members join in a month and only 95 of them continue past their first post. Where is the problem? On the other hand if all 100 stayed and were frequent posters, with this continuing to build month on month, then I pretty sure there would be bandwidth issues before long.

If a person asks a question and then never shows up again, again I'm not sure I understand what the problem is?

There is clearly a dedicated group of frequent posters who view this forum as more than a one-off Q&A session. It would seem they are the most   unhappy with the situation with new members.. I'm just not sure I understand why.
Your post is hard to understand Mal.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Mal

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »
It was a simple question, Bob. However I suspect the answer might prove more elusive.

Why are people unhappy about the presence, numbers and/or  activity of new members? I've seen the same issues and complaints brought up time and time again in multiple threads.

Mal

« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »
Perhaps it's an issue for another thread.  I'm sure we'd al much rather follow Fidel's progress with the dough recipe generator ;)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2013, 04:54:52 PM »
It was a simple question, Bob. However I suspect the answer might prove more elusive.

Why are people unhappy about the presence, numbers and/or  activity of new members? I've seen the same issues and complaints brought up time and time again in multiple threads.
That's why I couldn't figure out quite what you're saying. Besides me; on this thread I believe the "dedicated group" are saying the opposite.

Bob

Mal

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2013, 04:57:27 PM »
That's why I couldn't figure out quite what you're saying. Besides me; on this thread I believe the "dedicated group" are saying the opposite.

Bob
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. btw in no way was I trying to point the finger in your direction. As I said, I realise I"m in grave danger of derailing the main topic of discussion here. So never mind. Back to the dough recipe generator...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »
Perhaps it's an issue for another thread.  I'm sure we'd al much rather follow Fidel's progress with the dough recipe generator ;)
Fidel's in Japan sleeping right now.  :)

And I believe these discussions are possibly directly related to whether his app is even going to be accepted/allowed.

Bob

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2013, 05:06:47 PM »
Fidel's in Japan sleeping right now.  :)
Bob
Wouldn't you think he'd be up working on this here app   ::)
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2013, 05:09:34 PM »
Wouldn't you think he'd be up working on this here app   ::)
    :-D
It's 6am there right now man...let the poor guy have some coffee.  ;D

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »
    :-D
It's 6am there right now man...let the poor guy have some coffee.  ;D
Do folk sleep at 6am?? ???
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »
Peter, I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Are you saying that, since the vast majority of new members leave anyway, any tool that might streamline that process is not a bad thing?
scott123,

What I am saying is that any tool that leads members to what they are looking for, and does the job better than it is now done, and especially if it does so with less intervention by other members, is a good thing. So, if new members (or guests) who are looking for recipes can do so easier and faster than it is now done, I think that is a positive whether they find what they are looking or not, and whether they like what they find or not. Either way, if all they are interested in is recipes, they are likely to leave once they have seen the recipes to which they were directed. But, to be honest, I really don't know what effect a tool designed by Fidel will have. As I mentioned before, I think it will depend on the quality and usefulness of the recipes themselves. I think the quality and usefulness of the recipes will determine the outcome of the tool.

At the same time, I know that most new members have short lives on the forum. If Fidel's tool encourages more of such members to stick around longer and become more active members of our community, so much the better. What we have done in the past in that regard has not been particularly effective. At the same time, I recognize that pizza plays a small role in most peoples' lives. People have jobs and families and all manner of duties and obligations. So, we perhaps shouldn't expect most people who join the forum to become pizza addicts and devote a lot of their spare time to participation on the forum.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2013, 06:50:03 PM »
Sounds very exclusive Pete.

Pizzaboyo,

I did not mean my comments to be a suggestion but rather to highlight the fact that a forum that is set up as a free and open not-for-profit enterprise is far more likely to attract new members than one that charges it members. There are actually some benefits to a not-for-profit forum. For example, it is easier and less time consuming to run such a forum than if it were run in accordance with a for-profit business model. That time factor alone can have a lot of appeal to an owner, such as Steve, who has a full time job, a family and all of the attendant obligations.

I personally don't have a problem with new members. I know to expect around 4000 new members a year. I read all of the introductory posts but they are usually brief and do not materially affect my workload as a Moderator. But I know what the statistics are and that I can expect only a small percentage to be likely to become active members. I can't tell in advance which members will stay and which will leave, but that doesn't stop me from helping new members. And, as most of our members know, I don't give short shrift to any member. In that vein, if Fidel's tool will help cut back the time that I (or other members) spend with new members, that will make my job a bit easier. 

Peter

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2013, 07:15:27 PM »
Steve, who has a full time job, a family and all of the attendant obligations.

I don't give short shrift to any member. In that vein, if Fidel's tool will help cut back the time that I (or other members) spend with new members, that will make my job a bit easier. 

Peter
I said most of this is over my head eh! :-[ I understand fully Pete and have had great help first hand here from more "learned" members and I'm grateful for it. As for Steve + the other regular advisers such as Bob,Scott,Norma and your good self on the forum, I've nothing but admiration and thanks for their time and effort. I believe the tool would help greatly and cut out the need to answer some silly questions (I've done it  :-[) and HOPEFULLY make life easier on everyone.

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »
Update...

As promised, the entire database structure, as well as front-end interface, now completely support the functionality of 1 - 4...or to put it simply, the app is fully functional. You can search for recipes based on Style, or by the type of oven you have with one click. At the moment, only two fake recipes are in the database for testing purposes but that is enough to show what the app can do. Recipe pages, at the moment, show all ingredients in "bakers' percents". Later, the app will mathematically calculate into grams(or even ounces if it is requested) for each ingredient. Instructions and even a forum link is on the page to take the user to where the recipe originated and where more info and pictures may be.

But the real magic is in the administrator control panel. There, an admin can add ingredients and brands, and then these are then available in easy dropdown menus when making new recipe entries. The "Add New Recipe" interface is just an easy collection of selectors and text fields where stuff can be copied and pasted into. The second the admin submits a new recipe, it is added to the database and automatically shows up on any and all search results pages for the visitor or user.

See the current work in progress here: http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/

If you'd like to take a peek at the admin control panel, post here and send me a PM. I'd like it if you could give me some feedback, as well as post your own summary of the app here. Feel free to add some fake recipes because I will purge the database of all recipes anyway when beta testing is done and I hand the app over to Steve.

Next up:
Creating interface for editing, adding and making changes to recipes.
Add code to automatically calculate weight of ingredients based on bakers' percents, doughball counts, desired doughball weight
Adding password hashing
And a few more boring tidbits :)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:31:03 AM by f.montoya »

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2013, 10:51:09 AM »
Excellent Excellent Excellent  ;D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2013, 11:09:45 AM »
Very cool Fidel!  I love the dummy recipes and pizza descriptions.  A crust that you should not give to your grandmother!  :-D

Personally I don't think there is much we can do on the forum to ultimately encourage or discourage new member participation.  I am of the belief that people will participate as they see fit and when they feel comfortable and have time.   I think people are more willing to share when they feel welcomed and appreciated.   Just as there is fear that a tool like the dough generator will make it easier for new members to get what they want and never come back, there is also the possibility that it may generate new member participation.  What if new visitors are able to make the best NY pizza they've ever had using this tool.  If they have that positive experience, there is a greater likelihood they will return for other recipes and to continue their learning here on the forum.  If they want to learn more about a particular style, they are directed to that particular thread where there is in-depth discussion.  I see the tool as making the introduction to pizzamaking easier.  And there will be a certain percentage of folks that continue with the forum and a certain percent won't.  I don't think the tool or even pizzamaking.com itself can utimately influence whether a person becomes a serious pizza maker or not.  The individual decides that.  Those that want to stay will and those that don't, won't.  The tool is just that, another tool.  Those that are truely passionate will use what it takes, and do what it takes to make better pizza regardless of what is available or not. 

Then there are the regulars who devote perhaps too much time to the forum.  Why do they do this?  They do this because they are passionate about pizza and the people they interact with here on this forum.  They even make personal sacrifices to spend more time on the forum.  I see Fidel's tool as an extension of his passion for pizza and his dedication to help new members.  I see nothing wrong with it and support it.  If it helps generate new member participation then great.  If it does not then so be it.  But the same passion that drives him is the SAME passion drives us all to better pizza. 

Good work Fidel.  Keep it up.  I doubt I am much use to you but will help out where I can.

Chau

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2013, 11:38:28 AM »
Looking good!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »
Looking good!

Fidel - This looks amazing!  WOuld be interesting if we made an "app" that was downloadable for it!  I'll see about pulling together ingredient lists (if we still need them?) Sunday.

Craig - This doesn't count as hat eating does it?  =(  Oh well... was looking forward to a video of someone literally eating a hat!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2013, 11:53:14 AM »
I agree, looks amazing! 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline f.montoya

« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »
Thanks all!

I'm done coding for the night. I'll get back to it tomorrow.

Have a good weekend! We're having rain over the weekend here in Japan. No baking for me, so I'll be roaming around the forum looking for new pics of your pizzas to drool over! :)