Author Topic: What brand of San Marzano tomatoes do you use?  (Read 5869 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: What brand of San Marzano tomatoes do you use?
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 05:58:06 AM »
 :-X@XTCraig, I'll be anxious to here how you like the tomatoes, I know who sent them! Tell us about the other goodies also. :-X

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 08:17:54 AM »
We use American versions of italian cheese and still call the pizza Neapolitan.  Tomatoes should be no different. 

In my opinion comparing deviations in bake time to deviations in ingredient sources isn't even like apples and oranges, it's like apples and shoes. 
-Jeff

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »
We use American versions of italian cheese and still call the pizza Neapolitan.  Tomatoes should be no different. 

In my opinion comparing deviations in bake time to deviations in ingredient sources isn't even like apples and oranges, it's like apples and shoes.

Good point Jeff. I enjoy reading the different points of view (especially Scott and Craig). I never thought my simple question would spark such a conversation and strong feelings one way or another. I like it!
Chaz

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
I'm not sure why you're so opposed to this Craig.  As I said before, your Centos are as authentically Neapolitan as they can possibly be.  With the pizzas you make, your oven adventures, and all the advice you've spent countless hours giving, I'd be hard pressed to find a more able ambassador for Neapolitan pizza. You've taken the bare bones letter of VPN and applied a spirit that's catapulted your art out of the stratosphere. You're the living embodiment of authentic and perfect.  With you it's not a question of authenticity/inauthenticity, but, rather, how many years it will take the Neapolitans to build a statue in your honor in one of their piazzas.  You might be saying to yourself "I'm not fighting a cause, I'm just making food that I like to eat," but the reality is that you're one of the most able bodied soldiers the movement has probably ever seen.

I doubt they will be raising any statues of me in Naples any time soon, but thank you nonetheless.  ;D

Ideally, yes, I would like the SM tomatoes I have available to me to be the best choice (IMO). They aren't. And even though the Centos I use may be close, if I found something better that were less close, I would use them - the can of Sclafani sitting right in front of me as I type maybe?

I hear where you are coming from, but I don't think I honor the art unless I make the best NP pie I can make, and if that means using a different tomato, it means using a different tomato. If the flavor of the tomato is different to the point that it changes the soul of the pie, that's a different story - that's not making the best NP pie I can. In that case I would agree with you that while it may be the best pie, it's not necessarily NP. It's the same story with the bake, you might think 3 minutes makes a better pie, but it changes the soul of the pie to where it's no longer NP.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »
If authentic San Marzano tomatoes truly still exist, and are growing ever so sparingly out in that lauded volcanic soil, do you really believe that the Italian growers would let them leave their country. They have their own thriving pizza industry to supply, can they possibly be growing enough to meet their own demands and still export them to us? I remember reading something a long time ago about Italian olive oil, " they keep the good stuff for themself and export the crap". Do people still think that those highly prized San Marzano's would be any different? ???

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 06:28:27 PM »
If authentic San Marzano tomatoes truly still exist, and are growing ever so sparingly out in that lauded volcanic soil, do you really believe that the Italian growers would let them leave their country. They have their own thriving pizza industry to supply, can they possibly be growing enough to meet their own demands and still export them to us? I remember reading something a long time ago about Italian olive oil, " they keep the good stuff for themself and export the crap". Do people still think that those highly prized San Marzano's would be any different? ???

I was looking at tomatoes today while shopping.  Quite a few of the cans said "San Marzano Region" which leads me to believe those tomatoes are not truly SM tomatoes.
Chaz

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »
I was looking at tomatoes today while shopping.  Quite a few of the cans said "San Marzano Region" which leads me to believe those tomatoes are not truly SM tomatoes.

San Marzano is a variety of tomato. It doesn't matter where it's grown. If you start with San Marzano seed, you get San Marzano tomatoes.

Now, some people think they are better if grown in a specific region, and if they are grown in this specific region and meet certain minimum criteria, you can pay to have them certified and pay to be allowed to put the DOP shield on the label.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 07:10:53 PM »
I was under the impression that it was a combination of the seed along with where it was grown is what made it a San Marzano. Thanks for clarification Craig!
Chaz

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 09:12:52 PM »
For what it's worth   http://www.sanmarzanotomatoes.org/

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 09:43:50 PM »
"At 80,000 to 100,000 tons annually, the San Marzano crop from Campania by itself would be the world's 3rd largest exporter of peeled tomatoes - if all of them were exported, with only Italy and Spain in front of it. (22)"

I don't know...for some reason that figure doesn't strike me as all that much product. Especially when you take into consideration just how many "DOP" cans get used annually here in the States.

Begs the question...where are all these DOP cans actually coming from.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:46:01 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Zing

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »
I'm just curious if any of you have lived in or near Naples, Italy for any length of time, for example, being stationed at US Naval Base Naples?

Being able to get as much of a subject food as possible and often gives one the experience to critique other versions of the same dish.

Offline scott123

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2013, 12:19:39 AM »

I was checking the EU guidelines for fior di latte requirements and noticed that there is no reference to San Marzano's, rendering most of this conversation moot. Whoops!

If the flavor of the tomato is different to the point that it changes the soul of the pie, that's a different story - that's not making the best NP pie I can.

Regardless of the mootness of the non-SM vs. SM authenticity argument, I do believe, personally, that Sclafanis will change the soul of the pie. But I'll let you come to your own conclusions as you try the Sclafanis yourself.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 09:06:49 AM »
I hope all this talk about Sclafani's doesn't raise the price of them or cause then the same fate as Classico's. When I first started using them I could pick them up for $1.59, now the two sources I have for them charge $1.99 and $2.49! Why don't all you guys just stick with those San Marzano's that you like and leave my Sclafani's alone! ;D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 09:10:02 AM »
BTW, Sclafani's aren't the only great tasting canned crushed tomatoes, there are others, both Jersey and California, you just have to find them!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 08:54:32 PM »
I hope all this talk about Sclafani's doesn't raise the price of them or cause then the same fate as Classico's. When I first started using them I could pick them up for $1.59, now the two sources I have for them charge $1.99 and $2.49! Why don't all you guys just stick with those San Marzano's that you like and leave my Sclafani's alone! ;D
28oz Dave? Their web site is showing $5.99 for them.  >:(
  Guess you won't have to worry bout me messing up a good thing.   :chef:

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2013, 10:00:16 PM »
:-X@XTCraig, I'll be anxious to here how you like the tomatoes, I know who sent them! Tell us about the other goodies also. :-X

I tried them tonight on NP (pics will be up tomorrow hopefully). They are without a doubt one of the finest tomatoes I've ever tasted. Deep tomato flavor and color and sweet as candy. I added about 1/2 cup of water to the can (it was too thick for my taste) and you couldn't even tell a difference in the flavor or sweetness. I thought it would be too rich and not acid enough for NP, but it was really good. The whole family liked them. The main comment was "you could taste it more - more tomato flavor." The one thing I don't like at all is the skin bits.

I'll probably stick with the Cento Italian for NP - mainly because of the skin thing, but as far as crushed tomatoes go, the Sclafani are the best I've tasted.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2013, 10:38:57 PM »
I tried them tonight on NP (pics will be up tomorrow hopefully). They are without a doubt one of the finest tomatoes I've ever tasted. Deep tomato flavor and color and sweet as candy. I added about 1/2 cup of water to the can (it was too thick for my taste) and you couldn't even tell a difference in the flavor or sweetness. I thought it would be too rich and not acid enough for NP, but it was really good. The whole family liked them. The main comment was "you could taste it more - more tomato flavor." The one thing I don't like at all is the skin bits.

I'll probably stick with the Cento Italian for NP - mainly because of the skin thing, but as far as crushed tomatoes go, the Sclafani are the best I've tasted.

They truly make some of the best sauce for lasagne.  They really are very thick--I tend to thin them out with a bit of olive oil and H20.  They are very tomatoey.  Hmm, maybe I should grab some whole peeled ones and see how they pan out.  Feel like doing another test taste anyone?  DMC, have you compared the whole Sclafani's to the crushed?

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 10:53:24 PM »

Glad you enjoyed the Sclafani tomatoes! I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. Does the family like cento or Sclafani better?
Chaz

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 06:19:25 AM »
I've tried the whole tomatoes and didn't find them to be as good as the crushed, I also did the same thing (another thread) with Classico's whole and they too were not as good as either their ground or crushed. The best whole tomatoes I have found are Stanislaus Alta Cucina's. Hey Chicago Bob, I think you're on the wrong website, believe it or not, there are two tomato companies named Sclafani. The one we're talking about is from NJ and sells domestic tomatoes, it is now owned by B&G Foods. The other Sclafani, and the one you probably looked up, is in CT. and deals in Italian imports.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 09:45:09 AM »
I've tried the whole tomatoes and didn't find them to be as good as the crushed, I also did the same thing (another thread) with Classico's whole and they too were not as good as either their ground or crushed. The best whole tomatoes I have found are Stanislaus Alta Cucina's. Hey Chicago Bob, I think you're on the wrong website, believe it or not, there are two tomato companies named Sclafani. The one we're talking about is from NJ and sells domestic tomatoes, it is now owned by B&G Foods. The other Sclafani, and the one you probably looked up, is in CT. and deals in Italian imports.
Yep, thanks Dave....$2.31 for 28oz crushed at "My Brands .com"

pizzapan