Author Topic: Neapolitan in Brooklyn  (Read 963 times)

Offline communist

Neapolitan in Brooklyn
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:59:29 PM »
Heading out to Brooklyn for the Tour de Brooklyn bike ride with family this Sunday.  I want Neapolitan pizza.  Keste is my favorite, but it is in Manhattan, and I want to stay in Brooklyn if I can.  I was hoping for Paulie Gee's, but he does not open until 5PM, and I would be gone by then.  Any recommendations for Neapolitan in Brooklyn, or should I try Motorino's in Manhattan?  Mark

Offline scott123

Re: Neapolitan in Brooklyn
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:20:55 PM »
Forcella is in my top three favorite NP places in NY.  Roberta's is a couple blocks away and was a big influence for Paulie. Just make sure you don't get the Beastmaster.  Worst pizza I've ever had.  Make sure you get the bee sting.  It's not quite as majestic as Paulie's Hellboy, but it's in the same ballpark.

Being in Williamsburg, these are both in the vicinity of Williamsburg Pizza.  Not Neapolitan, but it's time you had a great NY slice outside of your own. I haven't been to Williamsburg, but, from the reviews I've seen, if there's hope for you to find a pie in NY of your caliber, this place would be it.

Offline communist

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice Scott :)

Offline gobseulmuhri

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »
also, barboncino is another nice neapolitan place. 

for a really good NY slice, you would do well at Best pizza as well. 

Offline communist

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 08:54:46 AM »

Thank you!

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 12:12:15 AM »

Mark, if you have the time, I'd certainly take a shot a Barboncino and Best, but on our last tour, I was underwhelmed by both- and I was not alone in my opinion. Ron (Barboncino owner) is a really nice guy, and it's an authentic Neapolitan pie, but I don't think it's up to par with Keste, Motorino and Forcella.

I don't know if this has always been the case, but insider information this year revealed that Best is a same day dough and suffers a similar flavor deprived fate as Difara (although Difara, with their couple hour dough, is considerably worse).  I don't know Williamsburg's dough protocol, but, between Williamsburg and Best, if there's a chance of getting the kind of multi-day flavor that you get at home, the only hope is Williamsburg.

P.S. I just noticed that you're coming into the city on a Sunday.  Yeesh.  A lot of people leave the city during the summer on weekends, but Summer really isn't in full swing yet, so the city is going to be a mess.  I think you'll be lucky if you make it one place.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:16:14 AM by scott123 »

Offline sgem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 04:16:44 PM »
Hello everyone, I have been reading the Pizzamaking forums for a while (before I opened my place) and finally had a chance to post. I just noticed this section and, if you are ever in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, I would love for you to come and visit. Please introduce yourself to me – Sal – and mention that you saw this post. I would love to meet as many of you and, of course, looking for some “real” feedback from real pizza enthusiasts.
Sal
Dieci Pizzeria & Osteria

pizzapan