Author Topic: FGM Owners  (Read 2550 times)

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
FGM Owners
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
Looking into buying a FGM950B and planning on going with the raised version.  I am mostly buying it for neapolitan pies but like the flexibility of the extra height.  Anyone have any regrets for going with the raised or the opposite?  Anyone else care to chime in?  WFO newbie here (and I read all of the posts I could find on the FGM via search function already) and appreciative of all thoughts...

Thanks.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Re: FGM Owners
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »
I have the 950-B low dome, have had it almost 2 years now.  A friend recently put in the raised version.  I have not cooked in his yet, but I have seen it during the curing process.  My oven is MUCH more efficient than the raised one.  I would love to hear from people using the raised to do Neapolitan pizzas and see how it performs.  I suspect that the versatility of the raised dome, which I do envy a little, comes at a high price if one's main goal is Neapolitan pizza.  But I could be wrong   ;)

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:04:49 PM »
Robyn, thank you much for the reply.  A few questions for you:

What is your preheat time?
What else do you cook in your oven?
What is your temperature 24 hours later?  48 hours later?
Would you still go with the FGM?  Or another?

Thanks!

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »
I'm still not sure I see the versatility of the raised dome.  This may be something that is perceived pre wood fired oven, but is a non issue once you have one.  The FGM ovens all have overly high doors.  My 13" dome ovens have 8" door heights, FGM ovens have 8 1/2" doors.  I've never had an issue fitting anything in my oven I've wanted too cook.
-Jeff

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
HnE:  Because my oven is indoors and I enjoy the process, I tend to preheat for at least 3-4 hours.  I suspect that I could cook well in it in 2+, but have not done so from a cold start.  My oven hold heat well, is usually around 400+ the next day, and 300+ at 48 hours.  So obviously a preheat on the 2nd or 3rd day is very easy.  I love my oven, and yes, I would do it again.  You've read my build thread, I assume?  I went with the FGM because my other choice became out of reach due to shipping, etc.  If money was NO consideration, of course I would consider other ovens.  But I am confident that I would have to spend a considerable amount more to get a comparable oven elsewhere, and I cannot fault my FGM, it's a fantastic oven. 

Jeff:  The only issues with other foods that I've had are:   The Tuscan grill - had to cut the legs way down, almost off, to fit it in there with anything on top of it, and even then I'm limited.  Also, large loaves of bread would be tricky.  I've baked small loaves, and that's fine, but if I wanted to bake a large boule, or especially several large boules, eek.  That would make me really nervous.  But I have other ways to cook those things, so I'm fine with the limitations. 

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 03:56:10 PM »
Robyn,

Yep, I read your build.  Was inspiring!  Actually initially saw your oven on slice in your interview...  Are there any comparable ovens for the same cost?  Seems like a no-brainer at that pricepoint to go with the FGM...  Also, I guess I am a little concerned about the floor stones.  Has anyone else had that problem with the FGM?

Thanks.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »
I have an FGM 700 with the raised floor.  Really like it a lot.

I was very torn about getting the raised floor or not.  I think I tortured Antoine with my indecision for quite awhile.  It was about the heat up time / efficiency being somewhat the better with the regular floor but the versatility being better with the raised floor.

In the end, I went for the versatility.  If I had to do it all over again, I would probably lean more towards the regular height but would probably still angst about it.  I cook breads either right on the floor or in a cloche or a dutch oven.   My tallest dutch oven slides in the door without a hitch, so I do not think it would have mattered.

I see what Robyn said about the Tuscan grill.  I use mine now without an issue but could see it being more of a hassle with the lower floor.  I would also think a turkey is much easier in the raised floor but I have not yet even made one (but I am sure I will).

My heat up time is probably slower.  The core (not the floor, the core takes longer) hits almost 600 in two hours.  At   2/12, it is at over 700 and I clear the coals and let the temps stabilize so I can cook NY Elite (or whatever one would call them) as 3 minute bakes at about 3 hours.  If you are only doing one or two pies, yo do not need as much time, but you do if you want to do many pies.  If I want to cook a Neapolitan, I need about 3 1/2 hours to heat and then let things stabilize, etc. - so I am cooking at 4 hours or so.   I am still getting the hang of Neopolitans - I get to around 850 in the core and I think I need to dome the pie more than others.  I imagine it would be more efficient and natural with the lower floor.

I think part of the heat up time is a trade off on heat retention.  I think (the experts should chime in - I am not one of them) the insulation is greater than many (like the forno bravo).  That causes a slower heat up but better retention.  In the morning (say 12 - 14 hours after dinner), the oven is at almost 500 and is still around 350 that evening.  Lots of opportunity to bake or roast all day or have a quick reheat.

Good luck,
Mitch

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
If you want the brick interior, it limits your choices.  Forno Bravo has the Artigiano 100 which is very comparable to the 950-B in deck size.  I believe the FGM oven has thicker walls, and I know the Artigiano has a higher door opening and a higher internal dome ceiling.  I seem to recall the Artigiano was also more expensive, but honestly I don't know current pricing on either oven, and it would also depend where you are = how much shipping will be.  I still like the Cirigliano Forni, but I know that's a lot more expensive.  Not sure what other similar-size ovens with brick interiors and decent specs are out there now - are there new ones since I shopped?

I also know there are several other new FGM owners on the forum, as I have been contacted by quite a few shoppers that went on to buy, so hopefully you'll get more feedback on the FGMs.

Offline Paul_N

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:08:47 PM »

I ordered an FGM 800 brick raised oven on a mobile cart. Antoine just finished, and was picked up by the freight company *today*! While I can't add any firsthand experience, I hope to do so soon.  For me, I wanted the oven to be somewhat mobile - I know that I will redesign my backyard in the future and being able to move the cart around is huge.  I can easily build the oven into a structure if I want to.

I choose the 800  because I know that I will grow into it.  With three small boys, I know that I'll be baking two pies simultaneously, or three small ones if they are fighting ;)  I wanted the brick interior for greater efficiency & heat retention.  I recall Antoine mentioning the that the brick interior utilizes less wood.

I'm happy with the raised option. I do have a tagine and plan on baking lots of bread and cooking things besides pizza (the horror!).  While the raised option limits efficiency, I think you gain some with the bricked interior, so maybe it is a wash?

I think it is a pretty flexible oven, at the right price, with great customer service and pizza making great community.

-Paul

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 10:48:12 PM »
I ordered an FGM 800 brick raised oven on a mobile cart. Antoine just finished, and was picked up by the freight company *today*! While I can't add any firsthand experience, I hope to do so soon.  For me, I wanted the oven to be somewhat mobile - I know that I will redesign my backyard in the future and being able to move the cart around is huge.  I can easily build the oven into a structure if I want to.

I choose the 800  because I know that I will grow into it.  With three small boys, I know that I'll be baking two pies simultaneously, or three small ones if they are fighting ;)  I wanted the brick interior for greater efficiency & heat retention.  I recall Antoine mentioning the that the brick interior utilizes less wood.

I'm happy with the raised option. I do have a tagine and plan on baking lots of bread and cooking things besides pizza (the horror!).  While the raised option limits efficiency, I think you gain some with the bricked interior, so maybe it is a wash?

I think it is a pretty flexible oven, at the right price, with great customer service and pizza making great community.

-Paul

Congrats on the oven!  Antoine sent me a photo of it a couple of days ago.  it is the same as mine (but yours is larger with brick).  The exterior design, cart, tool holder etc were the design he did for me.  I think you will really like it.

- Mitch

Offline SvPizzaFan

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 02:36:12 PM »
I ordered and received(its sitting in my garage while i build the stand) an 800B from Antoine and am happy that I went with the regular dome height(even though its still in pieces :D). You said you are getting this oven mostly for neo pies which would suggest you may be better off with the lower dome and easier/more efficient heat times. I too am planning to use the oven primarily for pizza and decided that I'd rather buy what i considered to be the best option for pizza making, rather than pizza and a turkey twice a year. Another thought, cooking all different kinds of things in a WFO sounds sexy and is probably more fun than our home ovens, but would you want to sacrifice a better pie for an occasional larger item that probably doesn't need to be baked at over 550 degrees anyway(most home ovens max heat)? My answer was no but we're all different.

The opening of the regular height FGM oven is 8 1/2 inches at its highest point, I felt more comfortable with this after taking a tape measure to the bread in my pantry and several other baking dishes we had and realizing that I had plenty of room to fit these through the door. Might be a good exercise to try out. Best of luck!

Ben

Online Chaze215

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 09:32:49 PM »
Mitch and Paul, do you have a pic of your oven and tool holder? I'm currently talking with Antoine about a mobile wfo. Right now I'm looking at a 1030c. What made you go with the brick design? Residual heat? Thanks!
Chaz

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 09:42:55 PM »
My oven is the one on Antoine's website:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0064/2002/products/cart_mounted_700_raised_1_large.jpg?135

It is not a similar one, it is mine.  He took the photo before shipping.  We designed the cart and tool holder together.  I selected the slate over the arch because my courtyard is slate and so it made a very nice match.  The brick arch was what he reccomended, etc.  No special meaning beyond that.

My interior is not brick, it is the plain concrete (or whatever the material is).  Not as pretty as brick but just fine by me.   Let me know if you need anything else.

Mitch

Offline Paul_N

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »

It is not a similar one, it is mine.  He took the photo before shipping.  We designed the cart and tool holder together.  I selected the slate over the arch because my courtyard is slate and so it made a very nice match.  The brick arch was what he reccomended, etc.  No special meaning beyond that.

I liked Mitch's courtyard so much, that I had Antoine model my oven after it too.  It is just a bit bigger though ;)  Same tool holder, same ash box, etc. 

I only have a picture with the iron door in place so you can't see the brick.  The oven is due to arrive Tuesday, although as fate would have it, it is the one day that I have meetings wall-to-wall.  I'm hoping that I can have the delivery pushed off until Wednesday. I'm hoping to chronicle the process from delivery to final resting place and will start a thread.  Don't expect a slate courtyard in the pictures though - that is still a few years off ;)

-Paul

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Delivery Day - the courtyard
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 10:45:43 PM »
Here is the courtyard at the end of delivery day!

Offline z-man

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 04:21:38 PM »
+1 on the lower dome I haven't regretted it at all. If your priority is cooking pizza its a no brainer.

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »
I have a new "raised dome" 950C.  Since it is new, I have limited experience, but so far I'm very happy with it.  I've cooked about 20 pizzas, a loaf of sourdough bread, and a "Tuscan" roast. 

The raised dome probably requires a little more wood for the heat up stage; just assuming because I certainly can't do a side by side comparison.  However,  The raised dome is only 13" and that is still a fairly low dome and works well for Neapolitan, IMO.  Here's a thread I created to show my first attempt at Neapolitan with my raised dome FGM 950C. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27526.0.html

The raised dome also comes with a raised door height.  I think that may be more of an issue for someone concentrating on Neapolitan style and trying to replicate a dedicated Neapolitan oven.  As I understand it, many consider a 63% door to dome height ratio for a Neapolitan oven as ideal.  The "raised dome" version has a door height of 11.5" and dome of 12.8" resulting in a ratio of 90%.

However, the standard dome has an 8.5" door and 9.8" dome resulting in a ratio of 87%.  Neither oven comes close to the 63% ratio that some consider ideal.

Having said all that, I am glad I went with the raised dome version.  I have successfully cooked Neapolitan pizza with it, and it seems like it will be more versatile with the higher door and dome height.  Can't wait to cook a large turkey in it! I'm sure you could put a small turkey in the non-raised version as well, but the top of the turkey would be very close to the dome.

BTW, my oven was still 400 degrees 48 hours after cooking at Neapolitan temps and 210 degrees 5 days later!  I have insulated my enclosure around the oven with perlite and vermiculite.

Lastly, I designed and had a fire screen built to fit in the opening when I am bringing it up to temp.  The primary purpose is to prevent embers from escaping if there is a gust of wind.  However, I think it also aids a little bit in efficiency.  The screen is different than the "throat" mod that Antoine designed for a customer.  That insert is at the throat of the oven to reduce the throat height toward that 63% ratio and it is before any heat/smoke can go up the flue.  My fire screen is at the "mouth" of the oven, so "most" of the escaping heat/smoke would go up the flue before it got to the screen.  I say "most" because some heat undoubtedly escapes the door and this screen prevents some of that heat loss.

So...I would agree with others.  If you are only going to cook pizzas, go with the non-raised version.  If you think you might cook a roast or turkey in the future, consider the raised dome.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »
Nice update, and beautiful oven!  Congrats on the purchase! 

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 08:11:01 PM »
Wow, I LOVE your fire screen!!!  It looks beautiful, and for my indoor oven, it would be a great safety feature.  I'm impressed.