Author Topic: Saf Pizza yeast  (Read 955 times)

Offline Sirrith

• I Love Pizza!
Saf Pizza yeast
« on: August 19, 2015, 09:13:49 PM »
Was out to buy a new pack of yeast the other day and noticed a new, green packet among the red and gold.  Turns out it is "pizza" yeast: http://www.lesaffre.com/slider/saf-pizza-en/
Has anyone tried this yet?  It claims to make stretching easier. 

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Saf Pizza yeast
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:06:40 AM »
Never saw it before. I find this interesting for instant yeast.

Shelf life: Through the date appearing on the packaging; once opened, 15 days in cold storage at 4C, with the packet resealed

Marty
Marty

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 09:14:58 AM »
Thanks for the notice.  Found this in their description:

"Optimization: Blocked from rising, Saf pizza allows storage of dough in the refrigerator at 4C for several hours, making working conditions that much more flexible!"

I wonder if they "tuned" the strain of yeast a bit to shut down more at 4 degC to allow low temperature fermentation?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 08:25:54 PM »
I don't think this particular yeast is available here in the US. All the websites that show it are overseas.

Mike

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 12:18:07 AM »
In their commercial IDY's SAF has a green label yeast which, if I remember correctly, is developed specifically for use in making frozen dough. This IDY might be related to the other commercial green label IDY. If anyone can get a sample of it I'd sure like to see how the package ingredient deck reads
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 12:42:29 PM »
In their commercial IDY's SAF has a green label yeast which, if I remember correctly, is developed specifically for use in making frozen dough. This IDY might be related to the other commercial green label IDY. If anyone can get a sample of it I'd sure like to see how the package ingredient deck reads

Tom,

That's what their technical data sheet says:

Ingredient Statement:  Yeast, sorbitan monostearate

Page 3 & 5.

http://www.lsaf.com/sites/default/files/products_files/31050%2C%20SAF%20Instant%20Green%20Label%2C%2002-25-15.pdf
Mike

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 11:20:14 PM »
Literally translated: yeast + emulsifier. Many times the yeast will be combined with ascorbic acid to counter the "negative" effects (dough softening) of the small amount of glutathione resulting from the drying process and probably a little too from the rehydration of the IDY. Performance wise I would expect this yeast to exhibit normal fermentation properties while producing a slightly softer, more extensible dough characteristic.

wordpress