Author Topic: Genetically engineered wheat?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Genetically engineered wheat?
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:27:58 AM »
Maybe I don't really understand this article, but I saw it on the web.  http://www.nongmoproject.org/2013/05/29/non-gmo-project-responds-to-usda-announcement-of-gmo-wheat-contamination-in-oregon/ 

I didn't even know there was such a thing as genetically engineered wheat.  Why would anyone be growing it in the first place?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Genetically engineered wheat?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »
There isn't supposed to be any GMO wheat grown in the US for commercial production. There is some testing authorized though.

Unless you buy all organic foods, you are probably eating all sorts of other things with GMO DNA though. Almost all the corn  and soybeans grown in the US are GMO. Think about how many products have corn-derived sugar and/or soy-derived oil in them. However, by the time they get done with all the processing, there probably isn't a whole lot of GMO DNA remaining in sugar or oil products. Cornmeal and corn and soy flour are a different story. They are almost certainly ripe with GMO DNA.  Plenty of other vegetable crops may be GMO too, and plenty of animals are fed GMO grains.

According to the article, the GMO wheat found was a glyphosate-resistant variety. Farmers would like such a wheat because they could use glyphosate-based weed killers (believed to be very safe) to control weeds without killing the wheat. Sometimes glyphosate-resistant crops are called "Round-up ready" after the week-killer with the same name.

GMO crops have also been used to increase crop yields and help them to grow where they couldn't grow well previously. GMO has been able to increase disease and pest resistance, increase drought resistance, require less fertilizer, and increasing plant yield. It's good for profit and also good for places in the world where they can't grow enough food.

I would note that the article you cited is from an activist website, and is likely a bit alarmist. I bet if you search you can find other articles from news organizations that aren't quite as scary.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »
There isn't supposed to be any GMO wheat grown in the US for commercial production. There is some testing authorized though.

Unless you buy all organic foods, you are probably eating all sorts of other things with GMO DNA though. Almost all the corn  and soybeans grown in the US are GMO. Think about how many products have corn-derived sugar and/or soy-derived oil in them. However, by the time they get done with all the processing, there probably isn't a whole lot of GMO DNA remaining in sugar or oil products. Cornmeal and corn and soy flour are a different story. They are almost certainly ripe with GMO DNA.  Plenty of other vegetable crops may be GMO too, and plenty of animals are fed GMO grains.

According to the article, the GMO wheat found was a glyphosate-resistant variety. Farmers would like such a wheat because they could use glyphosate-based weed killers (believed to be very safe) to control weeds without killing the wheat. Sometimes glyphosate-resistant crops are called "Round-up ready" after the week-killer with the same name.

GMO crops have also been used to increase crop yields and help them to grow where they couldn't grow well previously. GMO has been able to increase disease and pest resistance, increase drought resistance, require less fertilizer, and increasing plant yield. It's good for profit and also good for places in the world where they can't grow enough food.

I would note that the article you cited is from an activist website, and is likely a bit alarmist. I bet if you search you can find other articles from news organizations that aren't quite as scary.

Craig,

Thanks for explaining more to me about GMO and other products other than wheat.  I sure didn't know about all of that.  I also didn't know about what a glyphosate-resistant variety of wheat was and then how farmers would like that because they could use glyphosate-based weed killers to control weeks.  You sure know about everything.   8)

Thanks for telling me that the article I cited was from an activist website.  I will search and see if I can find other articles from news organizations that aren't as scary.

Norma

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:13:42 PM »
One of the reasons I like using white Kamut khorosan pizza flour is that it's organic and it has not been exposed to "modern plant breeding programs" which sacrifices flavor and nutrition.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/305670-the-benefits-of-kamut/#ixzz2UnTDrk00
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 01:17:59 PM »
farmers would like that because they could use glyphosate-based weed killers to control weeks.  You sure know about everything.   8)

This one was fresh on my mind. I've been killing a bunch of weeds lately.

CL

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 01:51:58 PM »
This one was fresh on my mind. I've been killing a bunch of weeds lately.

CL

Lol, Craig even if this was fresh in your mind since you have been killing a lot of weeds, your mind is still brilliant!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »
Craig and anyone else that might be interested,

I did search on the web and the New York Times and other news agencies like the Washington Post also reported the same thing.

I wasn't doubting that it happened, I was just pointing out that you have to consider the source when evaluating the content. The original link you posted was from an organization that benefits entirely from anything that they can use to make GMO look bad and scary, and as you might expect didn't contain any quotes like this one from the NY Times: "officials said, it would pose no threat to health. The Food and Drug Administration reviewed the wheat and found no safety problems with it in 2004."

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
I wasn't doubting that it happened, I was just pointing out that you have to consider the source when evaluating the content. The original link you posted was from an organization that benefits entirely from anything that they can use to make GMO look bad and scary, and as you might expect didn't contain any quotes like this one from the NY Times: "officials said, it would pose no threat to health. The Food and Drug Administration reviewed the wheat and found no safety problems with it in 2004."

Craig,

I agree that the the source has to be considered when evaluating the content.  I know that before when I posted an article from the Huffington Post.  :-[ I wonder why other countries are getting upset if it poses no threat to health.  I can't see it would pose any threat to health either.

Do you think this isolated finding will effect farmers in anyway that do grow wheat here in the US and then export to other countries?

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 12:49:59 PM »
Do you think this isolated finding will effect farmers in anyway that do grow wheat here in the US and then export to other countries?

It might. Other countries may try to use it as a way to artificially lower prices below what would otherwise be the market equilibrium rate. If so, it may lower wheat prices here as well. Maybe even more than the export rate if some countries ban US wheat altogether and it start backing up here. Probably not a whole lot of risk of this happening though. If they don't get it from the US, what happens? The US is a major wheat producer, and it's not like there is extra wheat produced globally every year and goes to waste because it isn't sold. If a country decides to go elsewhere, that could drive their cost significantly. If prices farmers in the US realize are driven down because of this, US Farmers will turn around and sue Monsanto (the company that accidentally let it loose) for lost profit.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 01:33:03 PM »
It might. Other countries may try to use it as a way to artificially lower prices below what would otherwise be the market equilibrium rate. If so, it may lower wheat prices here as well. Maybe even more than the export rate if some countries ban US wheat altogether and it start backing up here. Probably not a whole lot of risk of this happening though. If they don't get it from the US, what happens? The US is a major wheat producer, and it's not like there is extra wheat produced globally every year and goes to waste because it isn't sold. If a country decides to go elsewhere, that could drive their cost significantly. If prices farmers in the US realize are driven down because of this, US Farmers will turn around and sue Monsanto (the company that accidentally let it loose) for lost profit.

Craig,

Thanks for your thoughts on what might, or might not happen.  I understand if other countries don't get it from us, then what.  I understand more now.

Norma

Offline zymurgymaster

• A.lpha S.ausage S.upreme
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »
The "Farmer Assurance Provision" passed in March of 2013 allows companies that produce GMO's to get around the law for the most part.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 04:55:37 PM »
The "Farmer Assurance Provision" passed in March of 2013 allows companies that produce GMO's to get around the law for the most part.

That provision has no relevance in this discussion. It applies only to GMO's that have gone through the approval process and been deregulated by FDA. There is no deregulated GMO wheat. Even then, it only comes into play if a court ruling would otherwise block the sale of a deregulated crop.

What it does is prevent activist groups from de-facto banning GMO crops by suing farmers and getting injunctions from sympathetic judges before the farmer can plant legal GMO crops or preventing the harvest of planted GMO crops until the they are worthless.

Even if it did apply to wheat, while it may stop the Federal Government from banning the sale, but it sure as heck doesn't force anyone - let alone foreign countries - to buy our crops nor does it shield companies from liability.

Offline zymurgymaster

• A.lpha S.ausage S.upreme
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 06:19:07 PM »
TXCraig1,

You are correct that there is no GMO wheat approved at this time.  But I wonder, if this is true, what are then next 13 seeds they are going to get into the ground before it expires.

"Prior to the billís passage, 13 new GMO seed crops awaited USDA authorization. Now these endorsements are almost certainly guaranteed, even though previous legal challenges overturned USDA sanctions of other GMO crops. No doubt Monsanto and other GMO companies will use the next six months to fast track their new seeds."

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 08:34:22 PM »
TXCraig1,

You are correct that there is no GMO wheat approved at this time.  But I wonder, if this is true, what are then next 13 seeds they are going to get into the ground before it expires.

Here is the list. Looks like it has grown a little: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/biotechnology/petitions_table_pending.shtml

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 09:32:18 PM »
It looks like the Mosanto Co. also resumed field trails of roundup ready wheat in Hawaii and North Dakota. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-31/monsanto-resumed-field-trials-of-roundup-ready-wheat.html

The article says that the Roundup Ready wheat in the field trails is ďan entirely different eventĒ than the escaped crop reported by the USDA, St. Louis-based Monsanto said.

Norma

Offline petef

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
Norma, thanks for opening a discussion on this Wheat topic. I recently became aware of it while watching the Dr. OZ show with special guest William Davis. In addition, a friend of mine recently recently told me similar things about the negative impact Wheat has on our health, but he took it one step further and cut all wheat from his diet. The result was that he lost 30 pounds in just about 2 months. That caught my attention.

This in NOT something I want to hear because I love my wheat products, my pizza hobby, and I recently started baking my own breads and even grinding my own wheat!  However, I think it's a good idea to take a closer look at this topic. William Davis is saying that the wheat we consume today is not the same as our parents had many decades ago, and it is a product of genetic manipulation. He calls it Frankenwheat.  I  have not made any conclusions yet. I'm just gathering info at this point in time.  ---pete---

Here's a 5 minute segment from the Dr. OZ show...
Dr Oz Episode w/Wheat Belly Author William Davis
http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/are-you-addicted-wheat?video=15895

Here's a more detailed video presentation by William Davis

Wheat: The UNhealthy Whole Grain-Part 1

Wheat Unhealthy Whole Grain2

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 12:14:43 AM »
Norma, thanks for opening a discussion on this Wheat topic. I recently became aware of it while watching the Dr. OZ show with special guest William Davis. In addition, a friend of mine recently recently told me similar things about the negative impact Wheat has on our health, but he took it one step further and cut all wheat from his diet. The result was that he lost 30 pounds in just about 2 months. That caught my attention.

This in NOT something I want to hear because I love my wheat products, my pizza hobby, and I recently started baking my own breads and even grinding my own wheat!  However, I think it's a good idea to take a closer look at this topic. William Davis is saying that the wheat we consume today is not the same as our parents had many decades ago, and it is a product of genetic manipulation. He calls it Frankenwheat.  I  have not made any conclusions yet. I'm just gathering info at this point in time.  ---pete---

Here's a 5 minute segment from the Dr. OZ show...
Dr Oz Episode w/Wheat Belly Author William Davis
http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/are-you-addicted-wheat?video=15895

Here's a more detailed video presentation by William Davis

Pete,

I appreciate that you posted the videos.  I think wheat as we know it now can be highly controversial.  I for one, don't like to hear that wheat is that bad for someone, just like you.  To put everything into better perspective as best as I know, there are many things that have changed over the years in foods. 

Norma

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 01:35:52 AM »
Norma

You might find these articles written by "Uncle Henry" to represent "the other side."
As he states at the end of the first article-follow the money but there is a money trail on both sides.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/henrymiller/2012/10/22/the-roots-of-the-anti-genetic-engineering-movement-follow-the-money

http://www.american.com/archive/2012/october/europe-vs-scientific-consensus

Offline petef

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 01:50:09 AM »
Pete,

I appreciate that you posted the videos.  I think wheat as we know it now can be highly controversial.  I for one, don't like to hear that wheat is that bad for someone, just like you.  To put everything into better perspective as best as I know, there are many things that have changed over the years in foods. 

Norma

At least with some foods we can grow our own safer varieties in a home garden. Wheat is a whole different story. What I gathered from the William Davis videos is that we've already been consuming genetically altered wheat for decades now and the older processes of alteration are possibly more dangerous than the modern GM techniques.

To me, the scary part is how certain large corporations with extreme profit motives have control over our government. An excerpt from one of the articles you posted...

"Donít worry about the safety of GE wheat, however. The USDA is absolutely sure itís completely safe for you. And why? Because Monsanto told the FDA it was safe!"

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:52:26 AM by petef »

pizzapan