Author Topic: Has anyone found good mozz. or other pizza cheese at GFS? (Gordon Food Service)  (Read 2581 times)

Offline redox

I'll be looking for more cheese (since my arteries aren't completely clogged yet) at GFS and I was wondering if anyone has found pizza-worthy cheese there.

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member

GFS sells Grande brand.

Offline redox

GFS sells Grande brand.
Thanks that's the brand that Chicago Bob just thumped me over the head with.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
What is the name of that new spin off grande product.....el Biao or something like that. Maybe it is another co. I am thinking about. It's a food service product that is a bit less costly spin off of their popular product. Peter knows...
also, Scott123 knows about Grande clones offered through distributors.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

I actually have some new thoughts on Grande that have been incubating a bit after going through a log about a month ago.

It had been some time since I purchased Grande and I had heard about quality control issues, so I wasn't sure what I was going to get.  Long story short, it wasn't that great. You know all the complaints about Grande's lack of flavor in recent years?  Well, they might have some merit. This:

1. Was yellow - good
2. Was not that dry- it didn't grate cleanly and gunked up the grater- bad
3. Melted flawlessly without any premature browning - good
4. Oiled off perfectly- maybe a tad light oil on the plain and a tad too much with pepperoni, but, between the two, it was a perfect amount of grease.
5. Was noticeably salty - very bad
6. Had very little cheesy/buttery flavor - the kiss of death.

Don't get me wrong, this was above and beyond anything that could be purchased in a supermarket, but, for commercial mozz, it just didn't blow me away.

While I was shopping for Grande, I took a cold hard look at the other brands that my distributor carries.  Both the Sorrento and the Polly-O had the identical white shade and wet appearance of supermarket mozz.  I know Scott R has great things to say about the Polly-O, but, from the outside appearance, I really don't foresee myself shelling out $40 ($30 for the cheese and $10 for gas) for a 6# loaf.

Jay, based on my Grande experience, you might want to try the Primo Gusto cheese first.  I don't have any GFSes near me, so I don't know what else they offer, but if you put up a list here, someone can steer you in the right direction.

I'm still weighing over my next cheese choice.  I know Steve (Ev) likes Country Brand, and I have access to that, but $40 is a bit of a gamble, and the freeze/thaw cycles in my frost free freezer make freezing cheese impossible, making 6 lb. incredibly difficult to work with.  As it is, on this last log, I threw a big party and still ended up tossing about 3/4 lb.

This isn't going to happen, but I need around 10 local pizzeria fanatics that I can split 3 loaves into 30 portions, giving each person 3 portions- enough for 3 pies, each with a different cheese.  That would help me narrow down my cheese choices pretty quickly without breaking the bank.  As it is, right now, I think my distributor gives me around 8 whole milk aged mozzarellas.  That's around $300 if I have to buy the cheese myself.

The really frustrating part is that while every commercial cheese that I've tried has melted flawlessly, I have tried one or two that had a noticeable provolone-y kind of b.o.-ishness to them.  I know some people like that kind of funkiness in a cheese, but I don't.  If I spent $30 on one of these cheeses and ended up having throw the whole thing away- that would be especially painful.

I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place these days with pizza.  I've made a clear decision that I'm never going back to the brown splotching and potential curdling of supermarket cheese, while I'm too cheap to spend big bucks gambling on unknown food service cheeses.

Bob, I think you're thinking of Bacio cheese.  From the people I've spoken to that have tried it, Bacio is decent cheese, but it's definitely not worth the premium price.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:18:56 PM by scott123 »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
GFS has 'Primo Gusto' brand 50/50 motz/provolone that's become my go to cheese and I've not found any better. About $12 for a 5 lb. bag. I found the 'diced' melts better than the shredded.

I also very much like straight provolone. Has a bit more flavor than motz and no one knows the difference. I have a small slicer($39.00 at JC Penny) and buy the provolone logs from GFS also. Comes out great. It seems that the finer the shred of cheese the worse it seems to melt. Using slices works well. Same thickness and same number of slices will add consistency to your pie making.

Add shredded pecorino romano to the tomato sauce a day in advance gives a nice kick. imo

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy

Bob, I think you're thinking of Bacio cheese.  From the people I've spoken to that have tried it, Bacio is decent cheese, but it's definitely not worth the premium price.
Yes, thanks so much for coming on and clarifying things Scott.  8)

http://www.baciocheese.com/

Offline Zing

From my own research, Bacio is a house brand of Roma Foods/Vista/Performance Food. Still don't know who the actual manufacturer is. Grande has a line of upscale cheese aimed at the retail food enthusiast market, Piacci,
http://www.piacci.com

Offline redox

Scott,
Wow, what a thoughtful, helpful reply. I had to print that out for reference. Thanks so much.
My last GFS visit was before I found this site and I wasn't thinking of all the different ways that Mozzarella could be different. I'll try and go and maybe take phone pics of some of their selection and see if I can compose a list of their pizza related cheeses. I've still got 3 or 4 pounds of Precious Galbani Part Skim Mozzarella from Costco to get through so I'll try to get a list in this thread before I need more. I'll check out the Primo Gusto cheese and see how small a block I can buy. I don't freeze cheese but I can vacuum seal it and it keeps for months in the 'fridge. Iím with you, I'd hate to buy a 6# block that turns out to be unacceptable. That's happened to me before and I gave it to a local food bank.
Once again, thanks for your help.

Jay

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
From my own research, Bacio is a house brand of Roma Foods/Vista/Performance Food. Still don't know who the actual manufacturer is. Grande has a line of upscale cheese aimed at the retail food enthusiast market, Piacci,
http://www.piacci.com
Zing,
Yes, Bacio is who I was thinking of as Scott also helped clarify...please tell me; have you had the opportunity to try out this Bacio mozz cheese? It has been touted(I believe here an other sites) as being a very good pizza cheese.
Thanks!

Offline Zing

No, I have not been able to get a sample of Bacio. None of the pizza joints that get their stuff from Roma/Vista/Performance that I go to use it. You can't buy at retail from their branches around here. Around here, I can only buy from cash and carry stores of Sysco, Restaurant Depot (if i can talk my way in), and UniPro, plus two independents.

Offline redox

I just discovered I don't have as much mozz. on hand as I thought, so I'll be giving GFS a shot this week. I'll check for Primo Gusto, hope I don't have to buy enough to pave my driveway.

scott123

:-D

It'll be between 6 and 7 lb. (most likely 6 and change).  That's pretty standard.

You might find smaller distributors that sell the cheese cut, but I don't think you'll find that at GFS.

Offline redox

Scott,

No joy on the mozzarella front at GFS. They don't carry mozz. in the Primo Gusto or Grande brands, although they do carry Provolone in Primo Gusto. I wonder why? I needed some so I just bought a 2 lb. chunk of GFS Mozz. to try. Do you have any knowledge of GFS Mozz.?
They've got a sale on GFS mozz in the loaf-size for $2.99/lb.
They've got some great prices on 6 in 1 and Primo Gusto tomato products. I posted pics on the sauce thread.

scott123

No Primo Gusto?  That's a bummer.

Did you ask? They might have had it in a different.  My distributor has a supermarket style cheese area and a refrigerated warehouse where they keep the wholesale cheese.

No experience with GFS mozzarella. It's sounds kind of supermarket-y. Is it yellow?

Offline redox

I did ask and they said a larger store in a neighboring community might have it but they didn't when I called. The GFS mozz is white and the Galbani Precious mozz I get from Costco has a yellowish tint. So what does that signify?

scott123

Yellow generally conveys aging, and aging is good (less moisture, higher fat to solid ratio).

Can you get Galbani whole milk?

Offline redox

Yellow generally conveys aging, and aging is good (less moisture, higher fat to solid ratio).

Can you get Galbani whole milk?

The yellow is very slight, I had to compare in natural sunlight to judge.
I did check but no whole milk.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Galbani is made by the same company that makes Sorrento.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

scott123

I did check but no whole milk.

If you can't get whole milk, then I'd say forget about the Galbani. 

Dave, that's good to know, thanks.

pizzapan