Author Topic: Has anyone found good mozz. or other pizza cheese at GFS? (Gordon Food Service)  (Read 2187 times)

Offline redox

If you can't get whole milk, then I'd say forget about the Galbani. 

Dave, that's good to know, thanks.
I live in a cheese desert.  :(
Thanks for the information though.

Offline dmcavanagh

The parent company, Lactalius, has three plants in the U.S., so there could be variation in the cheese they each produce. Sorrento is made in Buffalo, not sure where Galbani is produced. Lactalius is a French dairy giant, imagine that, French made Italian cheese! ::)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
This is a good thread.  :chef:

I wonder who makes Great Value (Wallyworld) cheese.   ???
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dmcavanagh

This is a good thread.  :chef:

I wonder who makes Great Value (Wallyworld) cheese.   ???
Probably whoever gives them the lowest price when they renew bids, probably one of the giant cheese producers. The package you buy today may very well have been made by Kraft or Lactalius or Saputo or all three might be making cheese for them. That's the great mystery of private brands!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Probably whoever gives them the lowest price when they renew bids, probably one of the giant cheese producers. The package you buy today may very well have been made by Kraft or Lactalius or Saputo or all three might be making cheese for them. That's the great mystery of private brands!
That is probably what happened to my "Wellesly Farms" cheese at BJ's that was top shelf quality there for about 6 months once...and at $2.40 per. Man I was in pizza heaven for a quick minute.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Zing

The parent company, Lactalius, has three plants in the U.S., so there could be variation in the cheese they each produce. Sorrento is made in Buffalo, not sure where Galbani is produced. Lactalius is a French dairy giant, imagine that, French made Italian cheese! ::)

Some Galbani products are produced in at least two locations, Tipton, California  (F/K/A Mozzarella Fresca) and Nampa, Idaho:
http://www.mozzarellafresca.com/story/awards.php

http://www.sorrentocheese.com/about/awards.php

I can't find a definitive list of which cheeses are produced at which locations.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:57:21 AM by Zing »