Author Topic: I want to try a cracker crust - which one ?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
I want to try a cracker crust - which one ?
« on: January 31, 2006, 11:01:49 PM »
I'm thinking I would like to try my hand at making a cracker crust pizza.

As a first timer on this type of crust, do you suggest I try Deven's recipe ?
http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php

or does anyone suggest something else ?

Peter ? what do you say mentor ?

Anyway thanks in advance.

Mark

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: I want to try a cracker crust - which one ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 11:30:56 PM »
Mark,

I have yet to master the cracker crust pizza, but I understand that DKM's recipe is a good one. Steve has also done some good work in that area. And elsegundo is an expert also. I will defer to those folks on this one.

Peter

Offline ctimmer

• Just let me have one more pizza and then I'll quit
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 12:44:49 AM »
I had to use 1 cup of water instead of 3/4 cup. The recipe was just too dry for me. Otherwise it's a good one.

Curt

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 06:41:28 AM »
I attempted the shakey's yeastless one and failed misserably at it.
It never made it passed the rolling pin.
So I'm a little gun shy for the cracker.
-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 12:11:42 PM »
I use the thin & crispy recipe from the main recipe page its the 1st one. My family doesn't care for thick crust pizza so I don't make em too often unless a friend asks for one. Anyway that recipe has never let me down, I can get the skins thin as I want.

Offline cocoabean

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 12:46:14 PM »
I had to use 1 cup of water instead of 3/4 cup. The recipe was just too dry for me. Otherwise it's a good one.

Curt

I've been using the Pizza Inn style crust for a few weeks now, tweaking it a bit as well.  I use a food processor for the low moisture dough, though.  What I've done for excellent results, IMHO, was the standard recipe and then I run the food processor and drip water in a little at a time until the dough forms into a ball.  I let it ferment for longer than the 8 hour min, though.  So far, that's given me a lighter easier to roll crispy crust.

I never understood the "cornmeal" comment and just didn't think it looked right so I added more water.  I saw some pictures that were posted of the process, and that's what I had before the water, so I tried it to that point two nights ago, made the pizza last night.  I personally couldn't understand how it could be kneaded much at that point since the dough tended to stick to the sides and the blades would create a tunnel to run through without touching anything.

The dough, for me, didn't rise well and I was unable to roll the dough to as thin a crust as I usually try.  I'm not entirely sure I could have with a sheeter, though, either.  :)  My guess is I made a mistake at some point, which is quite possible since it was also my first run with a scale instead of volume measurements.

The pizza, though, was rather nice.  Not as thin as I would have liked, but OK.  It kind of had a freezer pizza quality, though.

Offline ctimmer

• Just let me have one more pizza and then I'll quit
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 01:41:09 AM »
Interesting...

I mix all of the ingredients except the flour (yeast can be proofed separately if desired) in my Kitchen-Aid. Flour is added a little at a time. It's still a little dry, but if I continue mixing until it's all incorporated, this usually takes care of the kneeding. I have to keep pushing the dough down to stir up the flour in the bottom. The 8 hour rise time seems to be about right.

This dough can be rolled about as thin as you want. A cutter pan works well for a really thin crust.

Here is a post I started earlier:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1965.0.html

Curt