Author Topic: Forcella  (Read 870 times)

Offline communist

Forcella
« on: June 02, 2013, 07:25:33 PM »
After a 20 mile bike ride thru Brooklyn in the Tour de Brooklyn, my family visited Forcella in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn.  Small, casual place in city neighborhood.  Very good Neapolitan Pie.  Favorite was the buffalo milk mozzarella with truffle oil, fresh arugula and shaved parmesan added after bake.  Luscious!  The fresh, slightly crisp cool arugula contrasted beautifully with the hot crust and mozzarella.  And what a crust - moist with mild char. The Margherita Extra was excellent with buffalo milk mozzarella, tomato sauce, parmesan, oil and basil.  It was 90 in the city, perhaps the dough was a bit slack, for the middle was a tad thin, and the edges occacsionally a bit overly thick and doughy. The Pignasecca had fontina, fennel sausage and carmelized onion, tasty, but a lot of cheese.The quartieri spagnoli promised much, with mozzarella, olives, ham, artichokes, and tomato sauce. It was flavorful, but my daughter was not impressed and the bottom crust wandered into char land too deeply for her tastes.  (She is a bit shy when it comes to char)  The toppings just did not harmonize.  A good Neapolitan pizza place.  I will be back.  Crust is superb.  Other Neapolitan places I visited seem to be more talented with a collage of flavorable toppings.  Pupatella's in Virginia is out of this world.  Keste's is close behind.  I would be glad to stop in Forcellas anytime.  Mark   ( pics to follow )

Offline communist

Re: Forcella
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
Pics from Forcella

Offline communist

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 07:31:38 PM »
Arugala

Offline communist

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 07:34:50 PM »
The oven

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:33:13 PM »
Was Gulio there ? Pies look great ! I struggled today with a few thin spots myself !  >:(  what a difference a week makes
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline communist

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 08:53:26 AM »
John, Gulio was not there - the waitress told me he was at his place in the Bowery.  It looks like he may open a third place soon.  Mark

scott123

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 03:31:12 PM »
Great write up, Mark.

I'm with your daughter on undercrust char.  Do you see the leoparding on the arugula pie?  That's about what an undercrust should look like, imo. Little specks. The undercrust in the photo doesn't look as bad as some that I've seen from some of the top places, but it's still a bit dark for me.

The arugula pie and marg look fantastic.  The other pies seem to have bit too much going on, especially the artichoke one. Forcella really needs a killer signature topping. They have what could be my favorite dough, but they have nothing along the lines of Paulie's Hellboy or Motorino's brusssel's sprout pie.