Author Topic: Sticky skillet  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Pizzaboyo

Re: Sticky skillet
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 11:53:30 AM »
Consider a nonstick Teflon skillet... :D
I burnt it  :P
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 11:59:10 AM »
I read somewhere too that it can be seasoned on the grill or stove top too but I've scrubbed it down with steel wool got some lard (Crisco  ;)) and gave it a rub all over with a tiny bit and then wiped it all clean again, placed in the oven at 230c for 1.5hrs and it seems to of done the trick  :chef:
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 07:38:15 PM »
I agree with the previous posters.  If you cook a pack of bacon, you're set.  To clean it, I just dump kosher salt on it and scrape off everything.  Then, rinse with cold water after the skillet has cooled to room temp.  I've killed the seasoning many times on my skillet.  I actually have about a pint of bacon grease that I keep on hand to reseason it. 

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 06:31:55 AM »
I tried the bacon and as with most of the bacon here it spilled out the white goo I always associated with water being injected into the bacon to bulk it up  ::) so I cut the fat off a joint of bacon and used that and I saved what was left  ;D I was using the salt to clean the skillet too but I thought that was possibly too abrasive and cleaning the skillet too much.

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 12:47:12 PM »
Heating up the skillet opens the pores of the skillet and the fat enters.  Allowing it to cool down seals in the fat into the pores as they close.  Cleaning with salt afterwards does nothing to the seasoning as its already locked in.  Once you have a good seasoning, its smooth and shiny.  While cooking the bacon, you constantly want to scrape the bottom off which allows the fat to penetrate the surface.

pizzapan