Author Topic: Soupy dough?!  (Read 1501 times)

Offline derricktung

Re: Soupy dough?!
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 09:06:58 AM »
Norma,

Thanks for the clarification.  I couldn't find a size that was comparable, so ended up getting some breadbags from RD that were slightly larger (closer to 240 in volume I believe).  I'm at work, so I don't have the exact measurements. 

The bag method is FAR easier than scraping up from the dough box!  We test ran three doughs last night, and while it didn't have a 3 day cold ferment, we allowed it to ferment for about 6 hours at ambient temperature.  Easy to get out, shape maintained fairly well, etc.  Though there's a cost of 18 cents per bag used, the efficiency is probably going to be worth it.  If our sanitarian approves multi use, driving that cost down would be beneficial, as our margins on pies are pretty slim until we get into high volume territory.

Thanks to you and Tom for the great suggestion!  I'm trying to decide if we should convert wholly to bags this Saturday, or go half and half with our next market... (I won't be there, but the person I trained with the dough will be). 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 09:38:36 AM »
 derrick just for the heck of it i took pictures of my dough using my described method. one is mixed thursday used sunday with a long room rise on saturday they were left over from an event.i flour them  them in the box which helps dry the outside and make the dough more manageable. the second picture is a 8 hour dough one hour bulk 7 at room temperature balled.i use 62 % hydration all caputo. the dough is followed by a pizza made with the batch of dough. i use the artisan dough trays and get 5 to 6 balls in each depending on how much space i have available.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:40:52 AM by thezaman »

Offline derricktung

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 11:14:04 AM »
Zaman,

Gorgeous pies!  I think my problem may be that I'm overcrowding the dough box... I'm using 7.4-7.7 oz of dough in each ball, and then fitting 20 dough balls per box (5 lengthwise, 4 width wise).  They're definitely melding to a point where it becomes difficult to manage, and many have to be reballed.

Your first method is probably far more similar to our workflow, so perhaps I need to crowd less, and add more flour to the box?

For this week, we'll be trying the bag method.  It's definitely very efficient in terms of getting the dough into the flour, so we'll see how it goes!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
derrick, the flour is added upon removal of the balls. it helps seperating when the rise has overcrowded the box.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 12:45:44 PM »
Derrick,

I made another mistake in my last post.  I looked again while I was at market today and the bags I use are 8"x4"x12".  Will be interested to see what you think of using bread bags when fermenting your dough balls.  I will also be interested in hearing what you inspector has to say about the reuse of the bread bags.

Norma

Just as some follow ups:

Bag method was really easy to pull dough out.  I wasn't at the market, but the whole team preferred the bag method for speed and ease of access.  I didn't see just how the dough came out (balled, or gloopy mess?) so I'll learn more this weekend when I'm manning the dough again.

Per the sanitarian that is working with me, we can't use bags more than once.  (it's not terrible at 1.8 cents per bag). 

Also, random note, for those that are planning to go to an open market or otherwise, my sanitarian suggested using a fan to keep bugs away from food (I was using fly sticky traps, but the hassle of attempting to hang this from the tent was too much, so I asked him for advice on how others meet the requirement).  Easy enough!  And I could probably use the fan to stoke the fire a bit when we fire up in the beginning.

Will let you know how the dough goes!  The bag method is definitely a low cost way to prevent the doughs from fermenting into each other though!  Thanks for the great suggestion!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »
Derrick,

Glad to hear the bag method worked okay.  Thanks for posting what the sanitarian had to say about reusing bags.

We aren't allowed to use fly strips in our state. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan