Author Topic: Can a cast iron pan be used on the stove top? If so, at what heat setting?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

I ditched my stone because I wasn't happy with the prep time, cleanup difficulty, and fragility.

I purchased a  (Lodge brand) 14" cast iron pizza pan.  On its only two uses thusfar it seemed to deliver more heat to the pizza bottom.

I overestimated its power, however, and still had a pizza bottom more white than i would like, but still less white than when i used the stone.

Next time I'll try a little more sugar in the dough, a longer ferment, and I'll place the pan on the bottom rack instead of the middle.

Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of pre-baking the pizza bottom using the cast iron pan on the stove top?

Offline derricktung

• Za Pi - Creating Neapolitan Style Pizza, One Dough at a Time
Can't say I've tried pre-heating the cast iron pan on the stove top before with oven, but did want to warn you about putting the cast iron pre-heated on the bottom oven.

I used a baking steel on the bottom shelf near the bottom heating coils and promptly burned the bottoms of my pie before the tops even had a chance to get slightly tan. 

What kind of pie are you trying to simulate?  NY?  Neapolitan?
Check out our new venture - Za Pi - www.za314.com

Offline Miami_Pizzaman

Can't say I've tried pre-heating the cast iron pan on the stove top before with oven, but did want to warn you about putting the cast iron pre-heated on the bottom oven.

I used a baking steel on the bottom shelf near the bottom heating coils and promptly burned the bottoms of my pie before the tops even had a chance to get slightly tan. 

What kind of pie are you trying to simulate?  NY?  Neapolitan?

I've tried both, my latest try was a Neapolitan style.  The NY style had some sugar, but the Neo I think had no sugar whatsoever. Perhaps that is what is making browning so difficult.

The Neo had Buffalo Mozzarella that came packaged in a water tub.  I had a feeling cheese that wasn't low moisture would be a problem, but I had no idea how much. The pizza was very soupy on top; it didn't look good, but it TASTED great. :).  The rim had good color, and the cheese melted perfectly on top. I checked the bottom a couple of times troughout the bake, and was surprised. I thought the pre-heating and cast iron would roast that bottom, but it didn't.  It cooked,  but it didn't put the serious heat i thought it would.  It was this fear of overcooking the bottom that made me decide to place on the middle rack.  If you're saying the bottom is too strong, but my observation is that the middle is too weak for the bottom, then I'll consider experimenting with a stove top start, or start with bottom rack and move to middle rack.

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
How long are you pre-heating the oven and how long are you pre-heating the pan? What temp?

Offline straymoose

• I Love Pizza!
I use the Lodge pizza pan all the time. Here is what I do based on a cooking method by King Arthur Flour Co. Your oven should be up to temp, in my case 400*. With the pizza on the pan put on the stove top on the highest flame for 3-4 minutes to start the crust baking before the top ingredients. Then xfer to the hot oven for 15-20 min until the cheese (assuming you are using cheese) is the way you like it. This kick-starts the crust baking.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Off topic a bit  but I use a lodge cast iron dutch oven pot(without the lid) to make a hybrid sicilian/deep dish pizza.  It works great.   I put my dough in the unheated pot  pot with a good dose of olive oil first.  I let it rise a couple hours, sauce it a bit, cook it on the stone deck in my pizza ovens, take it out, add more sauce, cheese, put it back in for about 20 minutes. It carmelizes the edges and people really like it.  Walter
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:11:10 PM by waltertore »
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
I use the Lodge pizza pan all the time. Here is what I do based on a cooking method by King Arthur Flour Co. Your oven should be up to temp, in my case 400*. With the pizza on the pan put on the stove top on the highest flame for 3-4 minutes to start the crust baking before the top ingredients. Then xfer to the hot oven for 15-20 min until the cheese (assuming you are using cheese) is the way you like it. This kick-starts the crust baking.
I suppose it depends on the type of pizza you are trying to make. That is a pretty long/low temp bake.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
I suppose it depends on the type of pizza you are trying to make. That is a pretty long/low temp bake.

I run the top oven at 550 for our thin crust NY like pie and the bottom at 450 for the iron skillet pies and  baguettes/bagels.  I am using blodgett 1000 ovens and for the deep dish/sicilain hybrid this temperature combined with the cast iron pot creates a great crunchy side with the sauce and cheese cooking right on it aand a flavorful not to heavy crust via the olive oil dose the pot gets before the dough goes in.  Walter
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:55:51 PM by waltertore »
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
I run the top oven at 550 for our thin crust NY like pie and the bottom at 450 for the iron skillet pies and  baguettes/bagels.  I am using blodgett 1000 ovens and for the deep dish/sicilain hybrid this temperature combined with the cast iron pot creates a great crunchy side with the sauce and cheese cooking right on it aand a flavorful not to heavy crust via the olive oil dose the pot gets before the dough goes in.  Walter
That you Walter. I don't think the OP ever really said what kind of pie he was attempting to make.  ???

pizzapan