Author Topic: Patio/Outdoor Kitchen  (Read 2067 times)

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
Patio/Outdoor Kitchen
« on: June 01, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »
My landscaper will shortly be breaking ground on our project.  Does anyone have any improvements or changes to the design that they recommend?

My biggest questions are:
1. How much space should I have between the half-moon and pizza oven?  I was thinking about 5' since a 52" peel seems about standard (maybe I am wrong about this, am I?) (I am planning on an FGM950 if this factors in to the distance recommended)

2. How much space between the counter prep island and the cooking island?  I was thinking only like 2' since I actually do not want people trafficking through but everyone else says 3' is standard.

Thanks!
-WFO newbie ready to get fired up!

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Patio/Outdoor Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:27:13 PM »
Also, going to have cabinets under the grill and wood boxes to the left and right of the pizza oven.  Left that out...

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »
Bert,

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »
1. The turning radius will typically be less than the length of the peel depending on where you hold the handle during the pivot. I don't think you will want to pivot around the very end of the handle. I usually have one hand close to the end and other slides along the handle as I pivot.  The clearance on mine is 46" which is plenty for my 55" loading peel and 48" turning peel. The only time I have had a collision was when I had a camcorder set up to record the baking of a pizza. The peel collided with the camera - best darn calzone I ever made. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:47:57 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »
Good point, Bill.  I suspect 3 feet will not be too close then... 

My whole plan is somewhat up in the air as I would like to be able to seat 4 people (apparently you should allot 2 feet per person) at the island but I also want the prep counter to be as close in as possible.  That means the inner island will need to be 8 feet and the outer will then be like 10 feet.  To do this would then probably leave the prep oval way to far from the pizza oven..  Compromise, compromise seems to be the theme...

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 11:48:11 AM »
H&E,
good idea to put lots of thought into the layout.  it's important to get it right.  it helps me to think about the way you get the pies off the prep table and onto the peel, scoop or drag.  it needs to be easy to go from table to oven whatever your method.  you don't want to do too much backing up.   we talked about this a little a couple years back http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13588.msg135482.html#msg135482
good luck!
bill

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 02:30:43 PM »
Wheelman,

I am a newbie.  I have set off countless fire alarms making pizza using my broiler and cast iron lodge pan, but have never used a WFO.  I was planning on prepping my pizza on a wood peel and placing it in the oven with that and then using a banjo turner.  Seems easier than the scoop or drag.  Am I correct in this?

Thanks.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 05:18:34 PM »
I've seen it done that way but when I try dressing the pie on a wood peel it often ends up sticking to the peel, especially if it's on there too long.  i recommend dressing the pie on a lightly flour dusted piece of marble or some other hard counter top.  from there you can drag it onto the peel like i do or use a perforated aluminum peel to scoop it up off the table.  those seem to be the most popular methods. 
i'd leave yourself a good bit of room to maneuver around the oven since you're starting from scratch. 
here's another thread about how i do it: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11990.msg248973.html#msg248973
bill

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »
Sweet notch in the marble counter!  Question, though.  Do you hold the peel with one hand and pull drag the pizza over or is there something holding up the long end of the handle? (on the marble counter, not the wood cart)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 10:14:38 AM »
both hands on the pizza!  peel is propped up.  pizzerias often prop the handle on the oven, that sets the distance from the prep surface. 

Offline HAMnEGGr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 05:53:11 PM »
What size peel would be ideal for the fgm 950, 37.5 diameter?  Thanks

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »
You will probably need two peels, one for in and out and one for turning.

This one for sure (you can find better prices):
http://www.amazon.com/13-inch-Rectangular-Perforated-Pizza-Peel/dp/B008A1TK4S/?tag=pizzamaking-20

And one like this (definitely find one cheaper):

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-Diameter-Stainless-Steel/dp/B003OA3X98/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 10:56:08 PM »
Just to chime in a little  :)

For a beginner, I think a wooden peel is perfect. The natural grain of the wood will stick a lot less than a metal peel. I personally put a little semolina flour on the peel after stretching the dough on a well floured counter top. If you make sure your tomato sauce is cold, it won't stick.
The perforated peel is great but it takes some practice to get a thin crust pizza all dressed on it without massing it-up.

A nice banjo peel / utility peel that is 7" in diameter is perfect.

As far as the counter to prep the pizza, I think it is best if it is right next to the oven or within 3 to 4 feet of the oven right behind you when facing the oven.

Now as a little thought that went through my brain. The oven floor is going to be right at 48"or so, therefore when you work the pizza, the handle of your peel won't run into the prep counter top as it will be above it. That is how it is in a commercial kitchen if I make sense to other.

With a 5' long peel, you have the 4' space between the counter top and the oven plus the 2' depth of the counter top so about 6' to move your peel without knocking anyone or anything. That way your guest can seat at the bar high island facing the oven while you put on the show  :-D

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline LapidiusCortez

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 06:54:37 AM »
The whole discussion gave me some very good ideas about modifying my own kitchen, just there is one hitch that I still couldn't get exact measurements of the peel? Which is a good for all size? I think a 5' peel would suffice, if I am not wrong.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:22:14 AM by LapidiusCortez »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »
  Happy to get you some GI Metal Products! Recommend the
  A-32RF/120 , 47" handle 13" head  for the launch peel
  I-20F , 59" handle 8" perf head  for the Turning peel. These are the 2 Most popular peels and  sizes I sell  also  perfect for the FGM 950 ! took care of member RickM has same oven same tool set up works perfect !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com