Author Topic: Trying to make Stracchino Cheese  (Read 3681 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Trying to make Stracchino Cheese
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
synaestnesia posted at Reply 38 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.msg255993.html#msg255993  a video of how to make Stracchino cheese at home.  I said I would try to make the Stracchino Cheese for a focaccia di recco style of pizza.  I started today and really can't convert the recipe in the video, but am trying the best I can.  I used more milk and more half and half than the recipe calls for.  I followed the rest of the directions in the video. 

I must have added to much vegetable rennet to the mixture, because it wanted to curdle too fast.  What I am doing right now is draining any extra whey from the cheese. 

I saved some of the whey to replace the water in a pizza dough.

I saw there must be other pizzerias that use the Stracchino cheese on their pizzas.  This is one of the pizzerias that offer the Stracchino cheese on their pizzas.  http://www.nantuckettodayonline.com/aprilmay07/pizza.html and their menu.  http://www.pipizza.com/

So far these are the photos of the process.  I tasted what is supposed to be a Stracchino cheese in the end of the process and right now it is okay, but I didn't add the salt yet.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Trying to make Stracchino Cheese
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »
Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 01:38:42 PM »
Norma
You're very lucky to have access to whole raw milk, I could be wrong but I don't think it is sold in NY state.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »
Norma
You're very lucky to have access to whole raw milk, I could be wrong but I don't think it is sold in NY state.

Dave,

I know I am lucky to access to whole raw milk.  I know there are members that don't have access to it.  I purchased the whole raw mild at the same little store that offers the Occident flour.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »
Dave,

I don't know how true this is, but this tells in NY that raw milk can be purchased straight from a farm.  http://www.realrawmilkfacts.com/raw-milk-regulations/state/new-york 

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 02:14:50 PM »
That might be the case, I just don't think many farms will sell it because they don't want the hassles which could result should someone get sick from the milk. I'm positive that if I were to go in search of raw milk, it would be a long and probably fruitless search in my home area.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 02:31:32 PM »
That might be the case, I just don't think many farms will sell it because they don't want the hassles which could result should someone get sick from the milk. I'm positive that if I were to go in search of raw milk, it would be a long and probably fruitless search in my home area.

Dave,

You might be correct, but it wouldn't hurt to try and contact someone to see if any farmers would sell raw milk directly to you.

Norma

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »
Dave,

take a look at this list, it might have a farm near you   http://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/new-york/#ny

and this one   http://www.cheesemaking.com/goodmilklist.html

Deb

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
looking great so far Norma!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »
looking great so far Norma!

Deb,

Thanks for the links for Dave and also saying the cheese is looking great so far.  I wish I would not have added as much of the vegetable rennet though.  I said in the other thread that I wouldn't try this cheese out again, but might have to if it doesn't turn out right this time.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
These are the next series photos of the process of trying to make the Stracchino cheese at home.  It will be ready by 11:00 PM tonight to be put into the refrigerator. 

If anyone is interested in following along, I will also post the video here that synaesthesia referenced of how to make the Stracchino cheese at home.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 11:26:19 PM »
Looking very good! I'll have to order some rennet and get some organic milk and get to it... you are making me hungry!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 08:27:30 AM »
Looking very good! I'll have to order some rennet and get some organic milk and get to it... you are making me hungry!

synaesthesia,

Thanks!  You will see in my next post what went wrong.  Maybe my attempt will help you so you don't do the same thing that I did.  You also understand those measurements better than I do, so I am sure yours will turn out softer.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 08:34:22 AM »
The Stracchino cheese was firmer in texture than I was trying for.  The man in the video said to add a few drops of rennet to water and then put it into the mixture and stir, but I thought maybe I didn't add enough rennet because I was using more raw milk and more half & half than was called for.  I then added more drops of the vegetable rennet to a little bit of water and added that to the mixture.  That is when I saw the mixture curdle too fast.  The man said in the video that the Stracchino cheese will curdle when in the oven with the light on, but I was skeptical about mine since I had used a little over 3 quarts of raw milk, 3 cups of half & half and more plain yogurt than was called for.  If I make an attempt at this cheese again I will adjust the amount of vegetable rennet I try. 

This is what the cheese looked like last night at 11:00 PM and this morning.  I tasted a slice last night and it tasted okay, but I waited until it aged more this morning to do a melt taste to taste it again.  I melted the cheese in the microwave for 15 seconds.  The cheese did melt well and was creamy when microwaved.  It tastes much better this morning and I was really surprised that all the sea salt that I added and soaked the cheese in for one hour didn't really make this attempt at the cheese really salty.  When I tasted the salty brine that the cheese was sitting in it was really salty.  For my tastes the cheese has the right amount of salt in the end cheese. 

I weighed the piece of cheese last evening and it weighed 1 lb 5.2 ounces.  The receipt is in the photos to show about what I paid to make this cheese.  I do have a little less than 1 quart of the raw milk left to drink and also do have a fair amount of the plain yogurt leftover to eat.  I didn't drain the cheese more when I put it into the refrigerator, because my attempt was already firmer than I was trying for.  At least to me the cheese I made tastes like a good mozzarella.

I would like to make an attempt at the focaccia de recco tomorrow at market, but I am not sure if the dough can be cold fermented overnight and still act the same.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »
Looks right to me Norma! The dough is unleavened, so it's just oil, flour and water kneaded, rested and stretched.

Your effort spurs me to get my cheesy act together.....

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 06:26:13 AM »
Looks right to me Norma! The dough is unleavened, so it's just oil, flour and water kneaded, rested and stretched.

Your effort spurs me to get my cheesy act together.....

synaesthesia,

I did post what I think is Jeffrey Steingarten's recipe for the foccacia di recco on my other thread from a blogger, but will post it again here for anyone that is interested.
http://poetsthoughts.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/focaccia-col-farmaggio-di-recco/

The Stracchino cheese I tried was really too firm, but I will see how it melts when I try it today. 

Anxious to see your results with making this cheese if you decide to do that.   ;D  If I attempt to make this cheese again I will add less rennet and also make a smaller batch.

I think, but do not know, that the wrong way I made this cheese would be okay on a WFO pizza.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 06:59:31 AM »
it would work fine for WFO pizza ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 07:13:14 AM »
it would work fine for WFO pizza ;D

synaesthesia,

I am going to give Steve (Ev) my friend some of the Stracchino cheese I tried to make today.  He does have two WFO's. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 08:26:40 AM »
If anyone is interested, this is how my attempt at the focaccia di recco went yesterday with the Stracchino cheese I attempted at Reply 67 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.msg258272.html#msg258272  I did give Steve some of the Stracchino cheese to try out on a Neapolitan pizza.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »
Finally found a supplier who can sell me consumer quantities of crescenza/stracchino.....

http://qualitycentre.com.au/detail.php?cat=42&id=1

Convenient as they can supply San Marzano tomatoes too...

But I am intrigued enough to make the cheese and see how it compares.... that's the whole point of all this malarky!