Author Topic: Trying to make Stracchino Cheese  (Read 3228 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Trying to make Stracchino Cheese
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 12:11:34 AM »
Finally found a supplier who can sell me consumer quantities of crescenza/stracchino.....

http://qualitycentre.com.au/detail.php?cat=42&id=1

Convenient as they can supply San Marzano tomatoes too...

But I am intrigued enough to make the cheese and see how it compares.... that's the whole point of all this malarky!

synaesthesia,

I am glad to see you found a supplier for the crescenza/stracchino cheese.  ;D If I were you I should would forget about making the crescenza/stracchino cheese.  For what's it's worth, the stracchino cheese did take me a fairly long time in my attempt.  It was good to see that I could make cheese again even if it wasn't right, but I think if I found a close source, I would not go to the bother of trying to make the cheese again.  I see you are intrigued though, so good luck if you decided to try to make it.

I guess, but really don't know that the whole point of all this malarkey in making pizzas is to see if you can make a decent end pizza product.  I also guess that it is the mystery of so many different kinds of pizza is why we torture ourselves many times trying to produce a decent pizza that we really like.  :-D

I forgot to take a picture of the cheese Steve brought me to market yesterday and I do have to try it, but I don't really think it is the right cheese.  I forget what the label said. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 06:05:33 AM »
I'll give it a go Norma, as import products are terribly expensive. I can get Caputo pizza flour here but it is 5 times the price of local "equivalents".
Oz groceries fluctuate seasonally like no other place (I am not originally from oz)  - Roma tomatoes range from $2 to $9 per bag depending on when you get them. We make our own gelato because the commercial stuff is way overpriced, and I'm sure they will give me some ridiculous price for the stracchino.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 09:38:57 AM »
I'll give it a go Norma, as import products are terribly expensive. I can get Caputo pizza flour here but it is 5 times the price of local "equivalents".
Oz groceries fluctuate seasonally like no other place (I am not originally from oz)  - Roma tomatoes range from $2 to $9 per bag depending on when you get them. We make our own gelato because the commercial stuff is way overpriced, and I'm sure they will give me some ridiculous price for the stracchino.

synaesthesia,

I understand why you want to try and make your own cheese.  I didn't know import products were so expensive where you live, but do know that import products are expensive where I live too.  I really didn't look where the source was from for you to be able to purchase that crescenza/stracchino cheese and how close that was to where you live.  I didn't know either how expensive it is too purchase Caputo pizza flour where you live either.  Making your own gelato sounds great to me.  ;D I have always wanted to try to make getlato.  Maybe sometime you can start a thread about making gelato.  I for one would be really intersted in hearing how you make gelato.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 07:54:04 PM »
Hi Norma.
I've started sourcing the stuff for the cheese making ... Found everything except the type of milk needed.... will keep looking, there are cheese making clubs here and maybe I'll ask them. My wife makes the gelato we use a standard cuisinart freezer bowl type, usually she makes fragole, I.e.  strawberry gelato. She's away now and back next week, I can pm her recipe- we no longer buy commercial ice cream!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:34:46 AM by synaesthesia »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »
Hi Norma.
I've started sourcing the stuff for the cheese making ... Found everything except the type of milk needed.... will keep looking, there are cheese making clubs here and maybe I'll ask them. My wife makes the gelato we use a standard cuisines et freezer bowl type, usually she makes fragole, I.e.  strawberry gelato. She's away now and back next week, I can pm her recipe- we no longer buy commercial ice cream!

Synaesthesia,

I hope you find a source of milk to make your cheese.   ;D

Thanks for telling me your wife makes the gelato and what type of freezer you use.  I would appreciate if you PMed me the recipe to try.  I really love a good gelato, but none can be found in our area.  I did have some really good gelato at the shore last year.

Norma

Offline andyt

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2013, 05:08:09 PM »
synaesthesia

Here we can only buy homogenized/pasteurized milk so it does not make good cheese because pasteurization reduces the fat to small molecules, yielding low fat cheese.

We got around that by purchasing skim milk that has 0% fat and adding whipping cream, 35% fat (not homogenized) to bring the fat levels in the milk back up to 3.5% fat.  Was able to make good cream cheese, feta and some mozzarella.

I would also be a gelato fan.

Regards
andyt

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »
Hi Andyt

Raw milk supply in Australia probably works like the illicit drug trade... there are many reports of it being traded.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-16/farmer-raided-for-supplying-raw-milk/4694306
It's illegal to sell it and buy it here in OZ. I suppose I too could ' buy a share in a cow.' to get milk.  Cowshare!! LOL!

I will try your idea... got my rennet and cheesecloth. Will try to see if I can do this sometime next week.

Also, I'll try 'farmer's cheese' again, I can get that here but the one's I get are a bit too dry, the process is similar to making stracchino I guess, it is a basic pressed 'cottage' cheese, a basic  'Peasant' cheese without any fancy tricks.

I'll get prices from the dealer of Defendi stracchino next week, he's 2 - 3 hours from me and comes to our area once a fortnight. I'll buy some and some San Marzano tomatoes from him.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 07:35:42 PM by synaesthesia »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 09:44:21 PM »
I took a photo of the Auricchio Staavecchi cheese I purchased from Steve on Tuesday when I was at market today.  I think that cheese is a provolone cheese, instead of the Stracchino cheese. http://www.agrelma.com/Cheese_Provolone_Stravecchio_Auricchio_Italy/o35298.html  I think the cheese Steve brought me would taste great if grated on a regular pizza, or mixed with some mozzarella.   :P

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 06:05:49 PM »
This is a photo of what my Stracchino cheese looks like today.  It has softened quite a bit.  I am going to make another attempt for a focaccia di recco tomorrow with this cheese.

I think the cheese tastes very good since it has aged a little. 

Steve used some of this cheese on a pizza yesterday in his WFO.  The cheese melted well.

The second photo is how Steve grated the Stracchino cheese yesterday for the pizza he made.  The children and teenagers that were at Steve's home yesterday did like the Stracchino cheese.  When the Stracchino cheese sits out for awhile like yesterday, it does get yellower in color.

Norma

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:08:53 PM by norma427 »

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 12:50:48 AM »
Thanks for the update Norma. I got my cheesecloth and rennet I ordered last week in the post today! Found some workable milk, and the rest are not hard to source.....hopefully this weekend I can make some stracchino....

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 07:27:17 AM »
Thanks for the update Norma. I got my cheesecloth and rennet I ordered last week in the post today! Found some workable milk, and the rest are not hard to source.....hopefully this weekend I can make some stracchino....

synaesthesia,

Glad to hear you got your cheesecloth and rennet.  It is really nice to hear you found some workable milk for your attempt at the Stracchino cheese.  Best of luck when you try to make your own stracchino!  ;D

Norma

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 11:30:30 PM »
Nice thread, I was unaware of Stracchino before.  I'd love to try this at home, but we don't have half 'n half here in the Philippines at all.  Raw milk, no problemo!  I got my first rennet from Australia.  I really want to visit there and take a cheese course or two. 

Norma, you said you save your whey for making pizza dough?  I do "microwave mozzarella" here, lacking a thermophilic starter.  It is basically citric acid to acidify the milk, then rennet to curdle.  The whey is fairly acidic, probably in the 5.2 - 5.4 pH range, though I need to check those numbers next time we make.  My current dough recipe is left over from my kitchen oven pizza.  It uses some yeast in a poolish.  I've changed the procedure on the dough, still doing the poolish but letting it rise overnight in the refrigerator. It will double in size and gives me a fairly air crust.  Would the acidity of the whey damage that?  My current dough needs a lotta help in the flavor department. 
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 12:05:35 AM »
Nice thread, I was unaware of Stracchino before.  I'd love to try this at home, but we don't have half 'n half here in the Philippines at all.  Raw milk, no problemo!  I got my first rennet from Australia.  I really want to visit there and take a cheese course or two. 

Norma, you said you save your whey for making pizza dough?  I do "microwave mozzarella" here, lacking a thermophilic starter.  It is basically citric acid to acidify the milk, then rennet to curdle.  The whey is fairly acidic, probably in the 5.2 - 5.4 pH range, though I need to check those numbers next time we make.  My current dough recipe is left over from my kitchen oven pizza.  It uses some yeast in a poolish.  I've changed the procedure on the dough, still doing the poolish but letting it rise overnight in the refrigerator. It will double in size and gives me a fairly air crust.  Would the acidity of the whey damage that?  My current dough needs a lotta help in the flavor department.

Tatoosh,

I wasn't aware of the Stracchino cheese before I tried to make focaccia di recco either.  Maybe you could try regular cream, instead of half and half in you want to try to make the Stracchino cheese, but I really don't know how that would work.  Good to hear you make your own mozzarella. 

This thread is where I used the whey in the dough at 100% of the water.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25619.0.html  Although the cheese and sauce I used didn't work out right, the crust of the pizza was good and crust did brown well.

tdeane (Terry) helped me to learn to make mozzarella at home at Reply 205 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7561.msg84735.html#msg84735  I also used citric acid and vegetable rennet to make that mozzarella. 

I really don't think the acidity of the whey would damage your dough, but the only way to find out is try whey to replace some of the water or all of the water in your formulation.  I think I could have upped my hydration when using the whey in the pizza dough I tried.

I used 10% dairy whey in a preferment poolish dough at Reply 794 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg130474.html#msg130474  but that dairy whey is different.  I did add dairy whey different places on the preferment Lehmann dough thread and if you use the top search and put in whey it should come up where I used dairy whey if you are interested.  You can see what Peter posted about using whey in dough at Reply 413 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg96435.html#msg96435   Steve (Ev) also tried mozzarella whey in a dough on the same thread.  He posted his formulation at Reply 427 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg96898.html#msg96898   I think Steve also tried whey in another dough of his at home.  If you use Ev as the username in an advanced search and use the word whey you should find his post about that if you want.

Norma

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2013, 01:21:05 AM »
Thank you very much for info and the links, norma427. I'll go over them and see what approaches I can use to add the flavor of my crust.  I also plan to try making Ricotta at home.  I have Ricki Carroll's recipe for that, very similar to making mozzarella, but uses only the citric acid, no rennet involved.  My wife is very hot for us to try it as she loves Ricotta.  That should leave a fairly acidic whey also. 

If the whey works out, it will be quite handy, since we make our cheese the day or evening before we do pizzas.  Then we make the dough and let it rise overnight in the fridge.  A pleasant confluence of convenience.
Banana Ketchup Is Not Pizza Sauce - Weber 22.5 OTG, Smokenator 1000, Kettle Pizza Insert, White Mountain 6qt Elec, Cuisinart ICE-20 1.5qt, FMS 1500D sous vide - Mabuhay Pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2013, 07:46:33 AM »
Thank you very much for info and the links, norma427. I'll go over them and see what approaches I can use to add the flavor of my crust.  I also plan to try making Ricotta at home.  I have Ricki Carroll's recipe for that, very similar to making mozzarella, but uses only the citric acid, no rennet involved.  My wife is very hot for us to try it as she loves Ricotta.  That should leave a fairly acidic whey also. 

If the whey works out, it will be quite handy, since we make our cheese the day or evening before we do pizzas.  Then we make the dough and let it rise overnight in the fridge.  A pleasant confluence of convenience.

Tatoosh,

I would be interested in seeing your Ricotta if you make some.  Whey from Ricotta can also be used in pizza dough.  Let us all know how your pizzas work out if you use any whey in your pizza doughs. 

I really like ricotta too, but can't find too much good ricotta in my area.  I tried making ricotta with raw milk, lemon juice and sea salt at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19051.msg186110.html#msg186110  I then used the whey from making the ricotta cheese at Reply 8 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19051.msg186405.html#msg186405  La Sera tells in Reply 9 how he makes his ricotta using regular whole milk http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19051.msg186467.html#msg186467  At http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19093.0.html  is where I posted about using the whey from the ricotta and used all whey to replace the water in the dough.  Another place I tried whey in a pizza dough was at Reply 61 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10213.msg90845.html#msg90845  and that was a white pizza.

I also made cheese whey biscuits with whey when I made mozzarella at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10321.msg90737.html#msg90737

If you are interested this is when Steve made pizza at home with whey at Reply 435 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg97254.html#msg97254

Norma

Offline Tatoosh

• Munch Munch Munch
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
We tried Ricotta for the first time with reasonable success.  It needed a bit more salt and next time I'll see if I can produce a creamier version.  But it is just fine to top a couple of our pizzas tomorrow.  Made mozzarella too, and had the first batch come out really nice and the second batch produce a smaller amount and tougher, less stretchy cheese.  Milk was from the same 10 liter bottle. Same measurements of citric acid (microwave mozzarella until we get a starter) and rennet.  Kinda boggle my little brain!  But it will also be fine on our pizzas tomorrow. 

We mixed two doughs, both with a water, flour, and yeast poolish.  First batch has whey substituted for all the remaining water, second batch has whey subbing for half the water.  We'll see how it goes.   :chef:

Thanks again for the links and encouragement!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »
We tried Ricotta for the first time with reasonable success.  It needed a bit more salt and next time I'll see if I can produce a creamier version.  But it is just fine to top a couple of our pizzas tomorrow.  Made mozzarella too, and had the first batch come out really nice and the second batch produce a smaller amount and tougher, less stretchy cheese.  Milk was from the same 10 liter bottle. Same measurements of citric acid (microwave mozzarella until we get a starter) and rennet.  Kinda boggle my little brain!  But it will also be fine on our pizzas tomorrow. 

We mixed two doughs, both with a water, flour, and yeast poolish.  First batch has whey substituted for all the remaining water, second batch has whey subbing for half the water.  We'll see how it goes.   :chef:

Thanks again for the links and encouragement!

Tatoosh,

Glad to hear there was reasonable success with the first time Ricotta.  It was nice to hear about your attempts at making mozzarella too.  In no time you will be a master cheese maker.   ;D

Let us all know how your two different batches of doughs turn out when they are made into pizzas.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 06:55:12 AM »
hmmmm...... my attempt at Stracchino didn't work out as I thought it would..... not enough rennet perhaps, too soft, not firm enough curd. Trying again.

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »
Formaggio Strcchino fatto in casa!

Two batches of Stracchino, first one on the left, and the second one on the right - which is a better attempt and higher curd yield.

Made from 1L unhomogenised milk, and 1/2 L full cream, yoghurt, rennet, brine bath and a bit of salt. Happy enough with the results to continue making it. Taste? Melting? It worked out nicely  in the focaccia di Recco I made this morning. But the properties are different to the substitute cheeses I have been using.... it might be my imagination that the cheese shrinks more than others during cooking  but I have always used the same physical amount of cheese on the focaccia, which in weight is half  what is specified in the I.G.P.recipe, the IGP recipe is twice as much cheese... I will stick to IGP spec now as I think I could have used more cheese for a tastier focaccia and it will not ooze uncontrollably or be too wet like the substitute cheeses.

FYI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5fX_0CsWV8
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:11:40 PM by synaesthesia »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 09:06:17 AM »
Formaggio Strcchino fatto in casa!

Two batches of Stracchino, first one on the left, and the second one on the right - which is a better attempt and higher curd yield.

Made from 1L unhomogenised milk, and 1/2 L full cream, yoghurt, rennet, brine bath and a bit of salt. Happy enough with the results to continue making it. Taste? Melting? It worked out nicely  in the focaccia di Recco I made this morning. But the properties are different to the substitute cheeses I have been using.... it might be my imagination that the cheese shrinks more than others during cooking  but I have always used the same physical amount of cheese on the focaccia, which in weight is half  what is specified in the I.G.P.recipe, the IGP recipe is twice as much cheese... I will stick to IGP spec now as I think I could have used more cheese for a tastier focaccia and it will not ooze uncontrollably or be too wet like the substitute cheeses.

FYI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5fX_0CsWV8

synaesthesia,

I was away for a few days and just saw you post.  Your Stracchino looks very good.  :chef: I am glad your Stracchino worked out well for your focaccia di recco. 

Your Stracchino cheese looks a lot creamier then mine did.  I will have to make another attempt at making Stracchino cheese sometime in the future.  Thanks for the link too. 

Norma