Author Topic: Local festival with a mobile unit  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Chaze215

Local festival with a mobile unit
« on: June 02, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »
There was a decent amount of food offered at this festival, but i had to taste the pizza  ;D I observed the work flow for a few minutes then placed my order. I ordered a margherita pie for $9. The first thing I saw was the pizza maker using just the tips of his fingers followed by hand to hand slapping. From what I have been reading and seeing, it is best to use the entire finger to shape the dough and push the air towards the cornicione. It was then dressed with sauce, grated cheese, square shaped mozzarella and then a few basil leaves. The pie was launched and had a cook time of 1:45. It was served on a 12 inch cardboard round. The taste was not bad, but the pie was not cooked all the way through. The middle was still doughy with areas of raw dough. I tried to get a pic of this with my phone, but i dont know if you can really see it or not. Perhaps these pockets of uncooked dough was a result of the dimpling of the dough in the beginning? Let me know what you guys think.

Chaz
Chaz

Offline scott123

Re: Local festival with a mobile unit
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 05:31:32 PM »
My money is on dough that wasn't tempered enough and was too cold.  It also could be a fermentation issue.  This dough looks pretty underfermented  to me.

Slapping can be a mitigating factor in gum lines, though.  In our first dinner with Roberto, he told us that slapping can compress the inner rim area and it can have issues cooking through.

Doesn't look like much competition for John. That cheese is a sad sight.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »
Doesn't look like much competition for John. That cheese is a sad sight.

There is NO comparison at all. The cheese, believe it or not, wasnt really melted through either. I took a bite and the entire cheese square came off the slice!  >:(
Chaz

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »
There is NO comparison at all. The cheese, believe it or not, wasnt really melted through either. I took a bite and the entire cheese square came off the slice!  >:(

There's nothing worse, imo, than low grade (high browning propensity) fior di latte that's been sliced too large and insufficiently melted.  It should be outlawed as a choking hazard.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:56:12 PM »
Thanks Guys  ;)
This is what I will serving this weekend at my local Wyckoff day !
This guy was a member here for a bit while back asked me a lot of questions after going through my FWF thread then went on  and Named his operation  "Playing with Fire" ? I was not too thrilled to say the least
Wish him all the best of course and Chaze if you go intothe mobile  I will be sure you blow that away too ! 
ciao
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 09:24:10 AM »
"Playing with fire"?? I guess imitation is the sincerest form of...lack of creativity?? In wishing him well after openly sharing so much info, you show great humility. Plus, your product looks far superior.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 02:13:18 PM »
I"m no lawyer, but depending on how close that guy is in terms of geographical location and the customer base you both target, you may have the right under common law to go after him for trademark infringement.  I just finished talking with a trademark lawyer about the beginning of this whole process, but you may want to learn a bit more and find a lawyer who may be able to help you with it...

John, while your pies are a FAR superior product (based on what I visually see), you still don't want someone with a similar name as you out in the same area.  What would happen if customers confused his pies with yours based on name alone?  That could be significant potential business loss...

Just some thoughts.  Let me know if you'd like to speak with the trademark lawyer I spoke with.  He's based in Chicago, so I don't know if that will be much help to you, but it might be worth looking into...

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 10:23:11 PM »
That was my original contention with Him just way to close on the Name  and too close geographically. He left the other forums because everyone there also agree that is was BS. to have a name so close. Like you said its just Lazy and show a lack of creativity. and the fact I questioned him on it before he even did any web site or logo or anything just went on with it Chaze has tried both and I am Hoping I won out  ???
John   
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 05:51:42 AM »
Are you kidding John? There is NO comparison. Your pies are far superior! Although he had a few inquiries about private catering as I stood around watching his operation  :-[
Chaz

pizzapan