Author Topic: Inconsistent dough balls from the same bulk of dough!?!?  (Read 493 times)

Offline jamieg

Inconsistent dough balls from the same bulk of dough!?!?
« on: June 26, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »
Iím still making changes to my workflow to improve general consistency - but one mystery that remains in the background is - how I sometimes have dough balls that rise at very different speeds - even though they came from the same bulk of dough.

The only explanation I can think of is - when I look at the bulk dough - the top half has a different consistency to the bottom - i.e. the bottom is more dense.

Would it be a good idea to knead the bulk dough briefly just before balling? Iíve never done this as I was worried about damaging the dough and removing the air or am I mistaken with this concern?

Thanks,

jamie

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Inconsistent dough balls from the same bulk of dough!?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »
I don't knead the dough, but I do stretch and fold it before balling.

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 04:06:01 PM »
Jamie, don't knead the dough after bulk. I would, instead, look at your bulk container and bulk fermentation environment.  You may need a wider, longer, and shallower container.  You also might want to look at the temp where your dough is bulking and make sure that's consistent- you don't need a walk-in, but I think, in your climate, air conditioning is critical.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 05:45:47 PM »
This is just my opinion, but I don't think there should be much rise in the bulk before baling.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jamieg

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 12:37:40 AM »
This is just my opinion, but I don't think there should be much rise in the bulk before baling.

This is another thing I have had in the back of my mind.

Certainly avoiding a significant rise in the bulk dough would eliminate the problem.

My reasons for having a good amount of rise in the bulk dough are the following...

I used to do 24 hour bulk rise and more or less 24 hour dough ball rise - but I found that dough balls made from dough - that was not more or less at it's peak fermentation - always seemed to be a bit lethargic (touching the top of the dough ball I would be lucky to feel it jam-packed with air - perhaps because the ball had relaxed too much over such a long period of time). Also - it seemed - the longer the time - the more I suffered inconsistency from one dough ball to the next. I'm talking about a quantity of 180 dough balls made from 10 different bulk doughs.

If I make dough balls with a bulk dough that is almost at it's peak - I get - almost all - the dough balls jam-packed with air very quickly - and remain so for some 5 hours (unfortunately we have to refrigerate some dough balls in a very warm fridge in the latter stages of the evening) - which is just enough time for our 5pm til 10pm evening shift. After that, we re-ball them the following day - and in some ways they are even better - at least in terms of leoparding.

Sorry, if this response make no sense, I've had one too many glasses of wine.

Offline jamieg

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 12:41:52 AM »
Jamie, don't knead the dough after bulk. I would, instead, look at your bulk container and bulk fermentation environment.  You may need a wider, longer, and shallower container.  You also might want to look at the temp where your dough is bulking and make sure that's consistent- you don't need a walk-in, but I think, in your climate, air conditioning is critical.

Our containers are only 3 or 4 inches high - but it's still enough to allow a difference between top and bottom.

Also, our containers are about the same height as the bulk dough - before it begins to relax. I guess we could shape the dough in some other way so it was not so high. If so, the main issue then would be finding such containers... not easy in Colombia... or even in the US?

Offline jamieg

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:42:58 AM »
I don't knead the dough, but I do stretch and fold it before balling.

I would still be worried about removing air or damaging the dough in some or other..

pizzapan