Author Topic: Paderno Blue Steel Pan - Prepping for Use  (Read 639 times)

Offline hotsawce

Paderno Blue Steel Pan - Prepping for Use
« on: June 02, 2013, 10:35:26 PM »
Finally received my Paderno blue steel pan. Received it, unpackaged, and noticed a "film" of oil-like substance... (probably seasoning that did bake off entirely) that comes off as a slightly dark smudge when wiped with a soft towel or paper tissue.

At this point, I'm hoping someone can give me direction as to what I should do next. Should it be seasoned again and baked off? Should I just stick the pan in a 350F oven and bake it some more?

Intended uses: Focaccia, Schiacciata, Roman style pizza, the occasional grandma pie.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:00:09 PM by hotsawce »

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Paderno Blue Steel Pan - Prepping for Use
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:39:11 AM »
I got mine a couple years ago...
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13241.msg130637.html

Turn the oven to 400F. Use hot water (No soap) and a sponge to clean them thoroughly.
Place the pans in the oven for 10 minutes to dry and open the pores.
Oil them up with a flavorless cooking oil,  and bake them at 400 for 10 minutes.
Using a towel or oven mitt to hold the pan, wipe the excess oil off of the pan and bake for an hour.
Turn the oven off and let the pan cool.

Repeat this process a couple of times. Watch out for applying and leaving too much oil on the pan.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 02:31:34 PM »
With Mmmph's help, I did a little research and thought some people would find this useful...

Flax is, supposedly, the way to go. http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Offline redox

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:38:11 PM »
I've used this method on both cast iron pots and pans but steel Detroit style pans and it works great. I found flaxseed oil at a health food store. Be sure to check the expiration date and it should be refigerated at the store, it doesn't keep for a long time.