Author Topic: Where has old time pizza gone?  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Oldtime Fanatic

Where has old time pizza gone?
« on: February 01, 2006, 02:02:11 PM »
Back in the 1950's when I was a kid growing up in Queens, NY, we could only buy pizza in a tavern.... the first "Pizza Parlor" came to town around 1961. 

That "Old Time" pizza tasted very different from what we have today.  The sauce was more orange than red, the dough (ooh that wonderful dough!) with corn meal on the bottom was the perfect platform for the cheese that was both stringy and chewy.  The top seemed to float in oil... mmm, mmm, mmmmm!!! 

Everything had its own wonderful, full bodied flavor... I can still taste it in my mind.  I've tried with very little success to duplicate that taste and have come up short.  Can anyone help me to recreate these delicious pizzas?

Just for reference we used to buy pizza at the Diner Bar, Teddy's and Clintonville Bar in Whitestone, NY.

Other long gone wonderful pizzas that if anyone knows the how-to, please le t me know.

Eddy's from Northport, NY.... a thin, rectangular, cheesy, oily masterpiece.

Bell Pizza from Bayside, NY  in the 1960's.... a Sicilian like no other.  Thick, soft dough with the cheese under the sauce.

Offline robtfink

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Where has old time pizza gone?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 04:33:16 PM »
I sympathize Oldtime. Several generations of my family dined at the same pizzeria -  superlatlively Sicilian; good dough, good sauce, adequate fresh mozzarella, not the predominantly cheesed pie too characteristically American nowadays. The "large," intended strictly for family dining, filled two unimaginably capacious rectangular boxes - a mere ten dollars (of course, cigarettes and gasoline, a quarter, then, that mistily magical midcentury). When the old man retired turning the operation over to his sons, he installed his favorite easy chair by the oven to keep an eye on things and to socialize with his faithful clientele. I am everso grateful that here and there these grand ships of the (old) line still chug along; that contemporary artisanal bakers are endeavoring to carry on the tradition; but it remains rather distressing realizing that all-too-much the American palate is being shaped by characterless, corporate feedlots.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 08:57:34 AM »
There's one place left on the south side in Chicago---Guide's on Archer Ave. Bar with a pizza place incorporated---no delivery. Eat in or pick-up.
I mad a great thin the other day, with whole milk mozza, cranked the oven on broil for 45 minutes, pizza stone. The cheese totally melts, mixes with the sauce, joins
together again.....mmmmm.Corn meal on the bottom...reminds of pizza of the early 70's.

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 09:15:35 AM »
I grew up in Brooklyn in the fifty's and early sixty's. The first pizza I ever tasted was from the Donette on President St. and Utica Ave. It was fantastic, with the stringy cheese and all the olive oil. I then moved to Canarsie, also in Brooklyn, Roger's was the name on Flatlands and 105th street and he had almost the exact pie. For Sicilian pie we had Mario's on Livonia Ave. under the El [elevated tracks]. All the places were 25 cents a slice. At that time you could go almost anywhere in Brooklyn and get a great slice. My mouth is watering thinking about those pies---Mel
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 10:31:30 AM by vitoduke »

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 10:01:11 AM »
Y'all are makin' me hungry.  :pizza: :o
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew