Author Topic: King Arthur free shipping deal  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: King Arthur free shipping deal
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 09:23:30 PM »
Foo! What's a Foo? ;D
Oh, sorry man..meant to say kool breeze!  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 09:36:16 PM »
^^^Ok, you guys are just screwing with me now, huh? I mention that I ordered 6 bags of KASL and now it makes shoe leather pies??

I really doubt that they processed your order already.  Maybe you could leave a message on their machine?

Norma was a KASL fan for a while, but I don't think, since she started working with other bromated flours, she's missed the KASL all that much.  I don't want to put words in her mouth, but I think she might feel they are comparable (that she likes the KASL, but she also likes the occident), and considering bromated flour is in the $18 for a 50 lb. bag realm, I don't think KASL serves much of purpose.

All 14% protein flours have a propensity towards toughness.  All Trumps is in the same boat.  As long as you're aware of it and don't knead it too much and incorporate some tenderizing oil into your formula, you should be fine.

Offline redox

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 09:47:07 PM »
Jay,

If you haven't tried the KASL before, I think it will be a useful experience.

Peter
That sounds a bit like the Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."
It's part of my long term plan. When I bought the cutter pan from pizzatools.com I also got a 16 inch hex quick disk. I've not used it yet except as an improvised pizza peel using parchment paper to launch a thin crust pizza that was too big for my smallish peel. I wanna try NY style using the disk, if possible. Summer protocols are in effect, no one hour preheat for baking stones during the summer.
Is it possible to do this? Any thoughts?

Offline redox

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »
I really doubt that they processed your order already.  Maybe you could leave a message on their machine?

Norma was a KASL fan for a while, but I don't think, since she started working with other bromated flours, she's missed the KASL all that much.  I don't want to put words in her mouth, but I think she might feel they are comparable (that she likes the KASL, but she also likes the occident), and considering bromated flour is in the $18 for a 50 lb. bag realm, I don't think KASL serves much of purpose.

All 14% protein flours have a propensity towards toughness.  All Trumps is in the same boat.  As long as you're aware of it and don't knead it too much and incorporate some tenderizing oil into your formula, you should be fine.
Sorry my sense of humor doesn't always translate well to forum chat. I'll be using KASL for NY pie attempts but a lot of bagels. I even got a bagel cutter since my hand formed bagels look like every letter except "O".
I'm hoping I can get some help with the NY pie tries

scott123

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 11:43:07 PM »
Sorry my sense of humor doesn't always translate well to forum chat. I'll be using KASL for NY pie attempts but a lot of bagels. I even got a bagel cutter since my hand formed bagels look like every letter except "O".

Got it  ;D

A bagel cutter? Knowing what I know about gluten and the forming of bread products, I'm not sure about that.  Have you used it before?   When I ask my local pizzeria for an extra thin crust, they form the whole skin as usual and then cut all around the edge with a pizza cutter. I'm telling you, it's a painful experience to see them savaging the precious rim like that. A cutter is going to leave a gluten gash, I would think.  I think I would rather have a completely malformed non O bagel than one who's gluten layers haven't been sealed.

On the other hand, I'd also opt for any homemade bagel over no bagel at all, and if this cutter helps you make bagels, I guess that's okay  :-D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:05:26 AM by scott123 »

Offline redox

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 12:50:09 AM »
Got it  ;D

A bagel cutter? Knowing what I know about gluten and the forming of bread products, I'm not sure about that.  Have you used it before?
Nope, haven't used one before but I was about $2.50 short of Free Shipping so I added the  $5.00 bagel cutter to the shopping cart. I'd like to try and see how it works. But I forgot to mention, it's also a Donut Cutter. Psssst, that could be the real reason I got it but earlier I was using my wife's iPad while we were watching TV and I didn't want her to see me chatting about getting a donut maker. I'm kinda like Homer Simpson about donuts (except I have a lot more hair). She tries too hard to protect me against myself.  :-D
If it doesn't work for bagels, I promise you it will find an alternative use. I love it when a plan comes together.  >:D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 06:47:15 AM »

Scott,

I do like the Occident flour, but the jury is still out on what kind of flour I like best for a NY style of pizza.  I did like the KASL flour very much and it did give me good oven spring.  Steve (Ev) still uses the KASL for different pies he makes and he also gets good oven spring.  You are right that the KASL flour shouldn't be mixed too much.  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 08:58:17 AM »

they are quick , several times I have ordered in the morning and had a package arrive the next day (i'm in the 1 day ups ground range)
Deb

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 09:21:32 AM »
I wanna try NY style using the disk, if possible. Summer protocols are in effect, no one hour preheat for baking stones during the summer.
Is it possible to do this? Any thoughts?
Jay,

As I noted a while back, at Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24117.msg244860/topicseen.html#msg244860, I did not have particularly good results using a disk for the NY style. But my experience with the disk has been limited. Maybe some other member may see your post and respond if they have had success with disks for the NY style.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »
Has anyone tried their pizza dough flavor enhancer?

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/pizza-dough-flavor-4-oz-jar

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
Has anyone tried their pizza dough flavor enhancer?

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/pizza-dough-flavor-4-oz-jar
Bob,

My recollection is that several members have tried that product in the past, with mixed results. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to search for the pertinent posts. However, there is a hard way to do it and that is to use the search terms "pizza dough flavor", in quotes as shown, in the Advanced search box. You will get around 4000 hits over 21 pages but all you will have to do is to scan the posts and look only for the posts that have the above search terms highlighted in yellow. You can quickly scan past the other posts since they will have no highlighting. That is the way I would do it.

Peter

Offline redox

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »
Thanks Jay and Peter......seems most people don't like it or think much of it. Some msg and garlic powder would probably work just as well.
One person also mentioned that the KA "perfect pizza flour" blend wasn't hitting on much either.
I'm just looking around on their site searching for new/unusual things I don't see locally for my $60 order to get free shipping.

I wonder if I just get 12 3lb. bags of their high gluten; how long that keeps in the freezer. I am soon going to ramp up my NY pizza making and will probably use about a 1 bag ever 2 weeks. Probably a little more starting out(trial an error).
Thanks for any info!  :chef:

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 12:39:38 PM »
Already planned to do that, I ordered some non-diastatic malt powder. I love bagels. Often start the day with a bag-egg-el sandwich.

The Sir makes great, very authentic NY style bagels. Great chewy texture, the way bagels are supposed to be. I follow Reinhart's recipe from his The Baker's Apprentice book and have never been disappointed. I don't know much about the malt powder, I buy malted barley syrup from a brewer's supply store. Good luck, enjoy your bagels, I know you will.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 12:52:22 PM »
Already planned to do that, I ordered some non-diastatic malt powder. I love bagels. Often start the day with a bag-egg-el sandwich.
Are you looking for a flavor component or the texture of a NY bagel? I though diastatic (not non)was the one to use for better rise crust appearance etc.?

Offline redox

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 01:19:34 PM »
Are you looking for a flavor component or the texture of a NY bagel? I though diastatic (not non)was the one to use for better rise crust appearance etc.?
Bob,
This is from the KA site
what you get

The key ingredient in New York bagels, the country's best. In 1-pound bag.
why we love it

For bread and bagels, malt's the key. A sweet derivative of roasted barley. Add it to the dough, then again to the boiling water to give bagels their distinctive shiny crust.

So,, I'm taking them at their word. I love NY bagels, I'm anxious to try this at home. Onion bagels, I'm drooling already.

Offline redox

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »
they are quick , several times I have ordered in the morning and had a package arrive the next day (i'm in the 1 day ups ground range)
I ordered yesterday and my order still hasn't shipped yet. If they were fast enough I'd try a NY pie using my baking stone because it's so unseasonably cool this week. By the time I get my KASL flour we'll be back to regular summer heat and I don't like to fight the a/c with the oven and a one hour preheat at 550 or so.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 01:37:29 PM »
Bob,
This is from the KA site
what you get

The key ingredient in New York bagels, the country's best. In 1-pound bag.
why we love it

For bread and bagels, malt's the key. A sweet derivative of roasted barley. Add it to the dough, then again to the boiling water to give bagels their distinctive shiny crust.

So,, I'm taking them at their word. I love NY bagels, I'm anxious to try this at home. Onion bagels, I'm drooling already.
Just researched this a little bit and found out some things. I've never had a bagel so I didn't know they have a sweet note to them. So yes, you have the correct malt powder there Jay. Tell me, do the ones you like have a good chewy interior with a crunchy crust?

Offline redox

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »
Just researched this a little bit and found out some things. I've never had a bagel so I didn't know they have a sweet note to them. So yes, you have the correct malt powder there Jay. Tell me, do the ones you like have a good chewy interior with a crunchy crust?
Chewy is good, crunchy is bad. Moist is good. (I hope I'm still talking about bagels)  :P

scott123

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »
I do like the Occident flour, but the jury is still out on what kind of flour I like best for a NY style of pizza.  I did like the KASL flour very much and it did give me good oven spring.  Steve (Ev) still uses the KASL for different pies he makes and he also gets good oven spring.  You are right that the KASL flour shouldn't be mixed too much.  ;D

Norma, I know you're aware that  I have a history of bias against KA, but, in recent years I've tried to shake that bias and look at things more objectively. I even now recommend KABF to people that can't track down commercial flour.

I've never had Detroit, I'm not 100% certain what Detroit style is even supposed to be, but I have seen countless Detroit style pies, and your Occident pie is in another universe when it comes to the quality of the crumb.  Not only has no one ever come close to the quality of crumbs you're getting, I have a sneaking suspicion that no one ever will. It's that impressive. I guarantee you that, in a million years, you're not creating that quality of crumb with KASL.  In addition, I've seen the tenderness and the bromate derived oven spring from Occident transfer to some of your NY bakes as well.

I know that you and Steve have a soft spot for KASL, but I think if you take a long look at the results you've gotten with Occident, you'll begin to see it's innate superiority in a wide range of pizza styles.

Just not bagels.  For bagels, it's Sir Lancelot for the win  ;D

pizzapan