Author Topic: King Arthur free shipping deal  (Read 2279 times)

Offline redox

Re: King Arthur free shipping deal
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »
Norma, I know you're aware that  I have a history of bias against KA, but, in recent years I've tried to shake that bias and look at things more objectively. I even now recommend KABF to people that can't track down commercial flour.

I've never had Detroit, I'm not 100% certain what Detroit style is even supposed to be, but I have seen countless Detroit style pies, and your Occident pie is in another universe when it comes to the quality of the crumb.  Not only has no one ever come close to the quality of crumbs you're getting, I have a sneaking suspicion that no one ever will. It's that impressive. I guarantee you that, in a million years, you're not creating that quality of crumb with KASL.  In addition, I've seen the tenderness and the bromate derived oven spring from Occident transfer to some of your NY bakes as well.

I know that you and Steve have a soft spot for KASL, but I think if you take a long look at the results you've gotten with Occident, you'll begin to see it's innate superiority in a wide range of pizza styles.

Just not bagels.  For bagels, it's Sir Lancelot for the win  ;D
Do you know anything about allbulkfoods.com? They sell Occident: Sub-Total:    $13.83
United Parcel Service (1 pkg x 26 lbs total) (UPS Ground (billed dimensional weight 26 LBS)):    $17.40
Total:    $31.23
So that would be shipped to me. Is there a better place to buy? The next time I buy flour I'd like to give it a try.

Offline scott123

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 05:14:59 PM »
Jay, I don't pay a great deal of attention to online flour prices because of the shipping prices involved. I'm also a little wary about the turnover for these products and their freshness.  At times, it's been very difficult, but I have yet to find someone that couldn't find commercial flour locally at a better price point, so that's generally what I push people towards.

That being said, occident is a great flour (a tiny bit lower in protein than I prefer, but still far better than 14% flours), and if you've got $30 to spend, this would allow you to experience  something spectacular- assuming of course, your oven setup is in order.

Hopefully another member who buys flour online can chime in on the competitiveness of the price, but, other than that, you could do worse.  It's definitely better flour than the All Trumps at Pennmac.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 05:19:38 PM »
@redox, where do you live? I get occident flour in a few different places in NY state, but it's just about always in small towns that have Amish communities nearby. Not sure what the connection is, but that's the way it is as I see it. I recently bought a 50 lb. bag for 22 bucks, can't beat that!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:22:13 PM by dmcavanagh »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 05:21:11 PM »
 that should be NY state, this site needs a edit/delete feature, for those of us prone to mistakes! :-[

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »
OH, it has one "modify", learn something new all the time! :o

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »
It's definitely better flour than the All Trumps at Pennmac.
Say it isn't so Joe. I thought All Trumps bleached and bromated was your go to flour of choice Scott?
Is the Occident b&b ?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 05:35:18 PM »
occident is comes unbleached and bleached, and is bromated.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:38:39 PM by dmcavanagh »

Offline dhorst

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 05:39:40 PM »
I'm headed to an Amish market in Seneca Falls tomorrow for some Occident and whatever else strikes my fancy--probably some smoked salt, for one.  Occident is bromated but I'm not sure if it's bleached.  I was thinking about ordering from KA since there's free shipping, but I don't think I should push my husband's limits.  When I get home from the market tomorrow I will once again have more than 100 lbs. of flour in the house.  Thankfully he's out of town right now, so I won't have to worry about sneaking it in. :-D
Funny thing though, he did actually notice the difference in pizza and breads made with Occident.  He usually doesn't pick up on those things.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »
occident is comes unbleached and bleached, and is bromated.
Great, thanks, sign me up....now I just have to find some here in pizza hell town.  ;D

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
Quite a selection of flour at Dutch Valley Foods   http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com/products/search?searchText=flour&pageNumber=2

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »
hey @dhorst, see if they have some Grandma Browns's bean soup! :drool:

Offline dhorst

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2013, 05:48:20 PM »
hey @dhorst, see if they have some Grandma Browns's bean soup! :drool:

Will do, sir!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2013, 05:48:33 PM »
Quite a selection of flour at Dutch Valley Foods   http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com/products/search?searchText=flour&pageNumber=2
Dave,
They also have a bleached bromated besides an unbleached bromated. Can you explain the bleaching aspect as it pertains to our pizza making?

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2013, 05:53:29 PM »
Dave,
They also have a bleached bromated besides an unbleached bromated. Can you explain the bleaching aspect as it pertains to our pizza making?

Google it,  it's all there, technical stuff! :-D :-D :-D

Offline redox

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »
@redox, where do you live? I get occident flour in a few different places in NY state, but it's just about always in small towns that have Amish communities nearby. Not sure what the connection is, but that's the way it is as I see it. I recently bought a 50 lb. bag for 22 bucks, can't beat that!
Iím in NW Ohio but I do get down to Ohio's Amish community a couple of times a year. Sugar Creek, Walnut Creek, and my favorite, Charm. An old public school building has carved into stone above the front door, "Charm School." That never fails to tickle me for some reason. I will definitely check that out the next time I'm there. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2013, 06:02:06 PM »
Google it,  it's all there, technical stuff! :-D :-D :-D
OK mister..I hear ya on that technical stuff mumbo jumbo!  ;D

How bout we try this Dave...is bleached good...or no good?  :-D

Offline redox

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2013, 06:04:53 PM »
OK mister..I hear ya on that technical stuff mumbo jumbo!  ;D

How bout we try this Dave...is bleached good...or no good?  :-D
Ok, Bob you got the takedown now go for the submission.  :D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »
Ok, Bob you got the takedown now go for the submission.  :D
  :-[  Well; I respect Dave's opinions man...he knows a heck of a lot more than I do and makes awesome pizzas.  :chef:

Tell him Dave!  ;D

Offline scott123

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »
Say it isn't so Joe. I thought All Trumps bleached and bromated was your go to flour of choice Scott?

A couple years ago I was  ;D I'm strictly 13% protein flour now (Spring King, Full Strength, Commander, etc.)

Bleaching tends to be primarily cosmetic. I believe there are some bleaching agents that will whiten and oxidize flour, and, through oxidation, impact gluten formation, but I don't believe those are commonly used anymore, most likely due to being regulated out of use by the FDA.

I think, with most unbleached flour crusts, if you closed your eyes you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between bleached and unbleached.  Bleached flour is the flour of choice in NY, though, and it has for some time, so we've been conditioned to expect a white-ish crumb (that's hopefully a shade darker due to longer fermentation). Unbleached flour, in a NY style pie, looks a little off.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »
Hey thanks Bob! The easy answer is use unbleached, better flavor, or maybe more correctly, more flavor. Flour is not white when milled, it is more of a tan/yellow shade. That wouldn't sell to the general public, we are used to seeing white flour. It can be made white in two ways, chemically, aka "bleaching" it with an oxidizing agent, or it can be stored and bleached out naturally through oxidation from the atmosphere. It takes a while for it to bleach out naturally, and thus it has to be stored. So, the easy way out for flour producers is to "bleach" it with chemicals and send it to market so they don't have to store it and wait for Mother Nature to bleach it naturally. Which would you prefer be done to your flour?

pizzapan