Author Topic: first post!!!need advice!!!  (Read 1625 times)

Offline sha

first post!!!need advice!!!
« on: February 01, 2006, 02:59:53 PM »
hi guys.

Let me begin buy congratulating you on this magnifico forum. I couldn't believe my eyes when i ran into this one, it truly is amazing....

Now as for me, I'm a trainee chef from the UK both working in the industry and studying at catering school. Although pizza is one of my favorite foods both my college and work place have opted not to use it on there menu's. Anyhows I'm just after some advice on good places to start. Any good read ups or even better books.

the area that most intrests me is the traditional Neapolitan style pizza's. I have had some experience making doughs and baking pizza's but nothing to the standard of some of you on here. For example Ive never used starters and can only guess what they are. Any advice on techniques, equipment and ingredients would be much much appreciated...

thanks and keep up the good work,

shahed

Offline sha

Re: first post!!!need advice!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 04:02:19 PM »
just so you know i have been reading this site cover to cover but alot of terms dont make sense to me. Which is why id like to do a good old read up before i even begin with my first recipe. So any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks again

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 04:06:22 PM »
sha,

I think a useful starting point might be to read the Glossary at the forum, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html. It's not the same as a course on pizza making but at least you will see the terms used and how they mesh together. It may take a few reads but I think you would benefit from it.

Peter

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 07:21:03 AM »
I would read the book review section here on the board
Also check out the main page with the Pizza book link.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_books.html
For books, that may fit your style of pizza
American Pie by Peter Reinhart,
Pizza Napoletana! by by Pamela Sheldon Johns, Richard G. Jung

If you can't find a term in the glossary, then just ask by posting your question. 
Forums are about questions and opinions since there is no right or wrong answer.
The more people that participate and give their interpretations and opinions the more
we all learn. I have learned a lot myself.
-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline sha

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 03:36:42 PM »
thanks all the glossary was a huge help. As for the book, well im still a bit mifed. Ive ordered nancy's Pizza Napoletana! but  im hoping its not just a recipe book. Im after somethjing that talks about techniques aswell as maybe throwing in a few little secrets. But hey arnt we all after this book...lol

thanks again

shahed.

oh also just recieved my copy of Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery. I know this doesnt strictly cover pizzas, but oh my what a book. This is definatley for the chef with patiance that wants the best results. well reccomended.... Ill write something up in the book section once i get chance.

pizzapan