Author Topic: Toppings.....Sliced vs Diced  (Read 696 times)

Offline Jackitup

Toppings.....Sliced vs Diced
« on: September 16, 2013, 02:54:11 AM »
I'm always a bit torn on diced or sliced for my veggies on my pie, onions, green peppers, etc. Aesthetically speaking, sliced looks much nicer but eating wise and IMO flavor too, diced wins out. With diced you don't get the 'slide out' and get more of a perfect bite each time. Also I'm more prone to do slices on a NP pie and diced on a Chicago thin or cracker crust, so style weighs in too.  How's everyone else play on this?

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Toppings.....Sliced vs Diced
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:35:21 AM »
You eat with your eyes long before the pie ever gets to your mouth. To my eyes, diced = mass produced. I get what you're saying about easier to eat without the slide-out, but IMO, that's an easy trade for appearance, and IMO the BETTER flavor of sliced. Here is why I say sliced is better. When you dice, you're pretty much locked into thickness - to a large extent you lose the ability to control it and have to go with whatever the onion, bell pepper, etc. gives you, else you have mush. With sliced, I can go as thin as my knife will allow - and many pies demand this. Try a Rosa with diced red onions sometime.  :-X Not to mention, when you are paper thin, the slide out problem is largely mitigated.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »
I'm a fan of sliced toppings as opposed to diced. To my eyes, the sliced makes for a much better looking pizza, not as "commercial" but more "rustic" if not gourmet for whatever that means. I also like to retain some of the texture in the vegetable toppings so I tend to lean towards a slighter thicker slice. I also really like the flavor that I get from the sliced toppings as it gives some variety as you eat through the pizza. As you might imagine from this, my greatest dislike of a pizza comes when all of the toppings are diced uniformly fine so the second bite is just like the first bite, and the last bite is just like the first bite too. I even go so far as to make sure I have a nonuniform distribution of toppings on the pizza to give an additional depth to the layering of flavors as I eat through the pizza.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 12:50:21 AM »
I agree, don't like the fine dice, more coarse is preferable. Wife is definitely more of a fan of diced than I am. I am always split so NP's, NY get the sliced and the others get the dice or coarse chop

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 12:05:23 PM »
sliced....definately sliced