Author Topic: Does the Mixer Matter  (Read 1404 times)

DeBee

Does the Mixer Matter
« on: May 06, 2004, 04:17:18 PM »
I'm hoping to whip up a batch of American Style dough for a white pizza (to be baked over the weekend) tonight...

I was wondering if the action of the dough hook is what I am lacking in my setup.  I have two dough 'beaters' and half the dough wraps around one and the other half the other beater and it just kind of continually tears itself until it forms a good ball then the beaters really just roll the ball around...  I never seem to be able to achieve the satin sheen on the dough ball so often talked about...

My question is:  What is the proper 'action' to knead the dough???  Will an expensive mixer (i.e. Hobart) knead the dough 'better' than an average kitchen mixer???

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:Does the Mixer Matter
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 04:57:08 PM »
DeBee,  the answer to your question is a bit difficult without seeing the recipe you are using.  The ratio of water to flour is very important, as is the flour to the final product.  In any case what you are shooting for is a bakers window that is a walnut sized sample of your dough stretched like a tiny pizza.  If it gets very thin without tearing then you are there.  So bottom line is the recipe is more important than an expensive machine.
Hope this helps.
Randy

pizzapan