Author Topic: so i've developed a new favorite; deep dish/pan hybrids  (Read 1503 times)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
so i've developed a new favorite; deep dish/pan hybrids
« on: June 04, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »
pretty simple.  emergency dough. 550 bake.  buttered and oiled (1T ea corn/OO) 14" pan.  rotate the pans on two racks until they're done.   usually rotating top to bottom 3 times during bake, offsetting the pans nails the crust perfectly.

100%sams club high gluten
65% tap water (filtered only, 8.4pH)
1% yeast (fleischmans IDY)
.5% domino light brown sugar
1.2% each corn and olive oil
.8% coarse kosher salt

i bring the water to 85f, add sugar and yeast.  let it show signs of life, frozen yeast is tricky.  add the oil on top when i see this.  wait 5 minutes.   stir salt and flour together, scoop into my bread machine.  dump in the water, set it to dough and hit start.  i stir it up to speed the mixing while it's on pulse, and usually run it for 12 minutes (6 pulse 6 mix) because i usually land 1800g of dough a recipe.  small blade for all that dough.  shut it off when it starts balling smooth and taut in the pan.  let rest until the ball gets lax, and rises about an inch.   do a 'hex and fold', i flatten the dough out, fold in two sides, followed by two more, and stretch out the remaining two to make ears large enough to bring the seam to the edge.  i find i get a very nice, workable dough doing this (pan or screen or what have you)

i let the mass double, and divide into balls.  lately it's been 560-620g balls, 560 is pictured in both bakes.  hex and fold. place into fridge for an hour.   remove and rise until 2.5'd.  i take stick butter and grease my pans. add the oil and brush to 1" from the edge.  i press the dough down and in, let rise for half an hour.  i then work the edge up like deep dish at this point.  let rise for another half to an hour depending on room temp and all the variables.

then, sauce.

1 28oz cento san marzano peeled, diced and blended in the blender. two plum tomatoes, same deal. one clove garlic. juice IS added.  here's why.   when you add diced, minced onion to the tomato, it stands after an hour or two like jello.  gotta love working the pectin. next, salt until it's tasted.  always taste before seasoning.  sugar just enough to bring balance to the slight salt.  ~1/3t coarse ground black pepper, 1/3t basil and oregano, pinch of cilantro, 1/8t crushed red pepper, 1/8t paprika, 1/8t onion powder, 1t ea corn and olive oil.

and i'll let the pictures do the talking.   this pizza is amazing reheated, too.  thick and crunchy, yet still chewy and soft.  i'm in love
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: so i've developed a new favorite; deep dish/pan hybrids
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:19:24 AM »
Nice hybrid Complex. Looks delicious.  Thanks for sharing. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »
That's a great looking pizza.  :chef:
Does the bottom fry/crisp up like a PH Pan Pizza Jon?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 01:15:39 PM »
That's a great looking pizza.  :chef:
Does the bottom fry/crisp up like a PH Pan Pizza Jon?

yes, but not as much as an oil-laden sicilian.  touching paper after eating this slice will not render it translucent, but there is just enough oil in the crust from the pan. i think the high hydration is a big factor in this too.  the pans i use are (i think american metalcraft ?) thick aluminum, they heat up very fast and give a good finished product.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.